NEWS Wayne Bennett hits Brisbane Broncos with $400k claim

The fact that they were scheduled to announce the swap had been organised they afternoon with S to be announced as 19 coach

Had Bennett agreed to quit. Which he had every right to accept or refuse. And he had maintained throughout that he’d promised to his players that he would not abandon them, especially after being crucial in the signing and recruitment of certain players.

@Porthoz, how come everything that you don’t agree on becomes a conspiracy? Tell me that you honestly believe that there was a scenario where Bennett coaches is in 2019.

Had Bennett agreed to quit. Which he had every right to accept or refuse. And he had maintained throughout that he’d promised to his players that he would not abandon them, especially after being crucial in the signing and recruitment of certain players.

@Porthoz, how come everything that you don’t agree on becomes a conspiracy? Tell me that you honestly believe that there was a scenario where Bennett coaches is in 2019.
He had agreed to the swap but hadn't agreed to all terms and conditions on paper IMO so he decided to call the press conference to force them to sack him, that way the swap could happen (which is what he wanted) but he could also get his payout AND look like he was the victim.

The fact that they were scheduled to announce the swap had been organised they afternoon with S to be announced as 19 coach
???? How can they have scheduled a meeting to announce the swap when clearly WB hadn't agreed to it ? They weren't 'scheduled' to do anything. It seems that someone inside the Bronco's decided WB was going to swap and leaked that info to the media but it was bad intel. He consistently maintained he would be coaching in 2019 at the Bronco's. The board did the same thing. He called a press conference to let everyone know he definitely was staying and complying with the Bronco's stated wishes. There was no WB fault there.

???? How can they have scheduled a meeting to announce the swap when clearly WB hadn't agreed to it ? They weren't 'scheduled' to do anything. It seems that someone inside the Bronco's decided WB was going to swap and leaked that info to the media but it was bad intel. He consistently maintained he would be coaching in 2019 at the Bronco's. The board did the same thing. He called a press conference to let everyone know he definitely was staying and complying with the Bronco's stated wishes. There was no WB fault there.

oh come on, if you honestly believe that then I don't know what to say.

Why do we have to pretend that butter wouldn't melt in WB's mouth, like everything he says is gospel?

From everything that happened it is clear that the swap was going ahead but Bennett wanted to make sure he looked like it was no fault of his own, that he made a promise to the players and it wasn't his fault he wasn't keeping it. All the evidence has been done to death and I am sick of going over it, but if there was no swap happening then why was AS told to clean out his desk on Thursday arvo because WB was going to be there on Monday? Did Souths just think that saying it would make it happen?

I mean I love WB and will always respect him for what he has done but this shit is just getting ridiculous.

I just don't find the evidence that's been shared to be compelling

And then there's the overwhelming likelihood that there's more evidence that hasn't been shared, meaning we don't know all the facts

It is a perilous mistake to dogmatically form an opinion in such a situation

I find it inconceivable that any 1 party is 100% to blame and equally that any 1 party is 0% to blame, so I share the blame amongst both coaches and both clubs

Due to not knowing all the facts I cannot put a percentage on where the blame falls, so I just have to leave it at that

Why do we have to pretend that butter wouldn't melt in WB's mouth, like everything he says is gospel?

From everything that happened it is clear that the swap was going ahead but Bennett wanted to make sure he looked like it was no fault of his own, that he made a promise to the players and it wasn't his fault he wasn't keeping it. All the evidence has been done to death and I am sick of going over it, but if there was no swap happening then why was AS told to clean out his desk on Thursday arvo because WB was going to be there on Monday? Did Souths just think that saying it would make it happen?

I mean I love WB and will always respect him for what he has done but this shit is just getting ridiculous.

The bolded I agree with, and I believe is his #1 motive. None of us are saying that Bennett is innocent in this affair, but some of us are not completely buying that Bennett is a backstabbing dog that has only his own financial interests at heart. There is a middle ground - on the specific scenario above, Seibold may have been told that Wayne would either accept the deal, or be sacked, so the outcome would the same anyway.

He had agreed to the swap but hadn't agreed to all terms and conditions on paper IMO so he decided to call the press conference to force them to sack him, that way the swap could happen (which is what he wanted) but he could also get his payout AND look like he was the victim.
I seriously don't think Bennet cares what people think of him. If he did, he would be a lot more attentive to journalists. I think he cares what the players under him think of him and their opinion of his integrity. That more than anything would weigh heavily on him.
I think he made some poor choices of words several times to several people and the souths swap standoff was a result. The rest is fluff. There were no extra payouts to staff, nor was the souths communications anything the Broncos would have cared about until it became a tool to use, once he became stubborn.
In the board's mind, once the decision was made, he was going one way or another. They just wanted it to be seen as his choice. The vitriol between bennet and the board made the status quo untenable for the board whose job is to run a smooth organisation without personal animosities. And I suspect the senior executives wanted to make sure they were "in charge". That they behaved as they did with meetings for replacements behind his back, very likely lit a smouldering ember into a full-blown bonfire.
Bennet "signed" with Porky Morgan by "word of mouth" and rarely needed to question where he stood.
To go from that to behind his back replacement meetings was a step too far, and he made the fatal mistake of making his feelings known to people not used to being questioned. Egos were set alight and here we are.

Your second line shows just where you sit. You keep putting forward statements you attribute to other posters and then attack them for it. No one poster on here has stated anything like that, not even close. What we supposed WB defenders are generally trying to achieve is a fair and reasoned judgement which is what we would do for anyone. It's about trying to be fair and impartial.

When we comment on WB, his motives or actions it's usually based on prior performance and so we consider that too. Nobody thinks WB is infallible and without fault but we'd need solid evidence of wrongdoing to condemn him. We aren't just going with petty jealousy and ageist discrimination.

He had every right to accept or refuse without a doubt. The abandoning of players bullshit is a nice spin, but I'm pretty sure they will survive without him, and a few of those players who he was crucial to maintain or recruit even decided to stay at the Broncos AFTER his sacking.

There are plenty of things I don't agree with that aren't conspiracies.
That sentence in bold is and example of how they are generally born. Unless you have any evidence to support it (other than what WB said, which clashes with everything else known about the affair), you're just making up a storyline so you don't have to believe Bennett could be a manipulator who lied and played both sides, and instead believe that the Broncos had this genius evil plan to sack Bennett while pretending otherwise.

I generally like to follow the evidence to draw my conclusions, and albeit not always successful, I try to avoid confirmation bias as much as possible. Facts are that there is plenty to support my stance and zero to support yours, I even made a post about it a while ago, which none of you could rebut.

You want to believe everyone is lying except Wayne, go for it, but don't blame anyone for wanting to offer you a tinfoil hat.

He was told to clear out his desk because the Rabbitohs planned on getting a caretaker coach

Last edited:
He had every right to accept or refuse without a doubt. The abandoning of players bullshit is a nice spin, but I'm pretty sure they will survive without him, and a few of those players who he was crucial to maintain or recruit even decided to stay at the Broncos AFTER his sacking.

There are plenty of things I don't agree with that aren't conspiracies.
That sentence in bold is and example of how they are generally born. Unless you have any evidence to support it (other than what WB said, which clashes with everything else known about the affair), you're just making up a storyline so you don't have to believe Bennett could be a manipulator who lied and played both sides, and instead believe that the Broncos had this genius evil plan to sack Bennett while pretending otherwise.

I generally like to follow the evidence to draw my conclusions, and albeit not always successful, I try to avoid confirmation bias as much as possible. Facts are that there is plenty to support my stance and zero to support yours, I even made a post about it a while ago, which none of you could rebut.

You want to believe everyone is lying except Wayne, go for it, but don't blame anyone for wanting to offer you a tinfoil hat.
What evidence are you basing it off? The evidence given by the people whose job it was to make Bennett look bad?

Seibold has been in contact with White about this job for a while now. The fake coach search thing was done so White could look unbiased before hiring another one of his mates. White wasn’t going to let seibold sit out a year and with the help of News Corp, set out to create an untenable relationship so Bennett would leave. Who do you think kept leaking things? Despite this, he wanted to stay so the board found a way to get him out.

What evidence are you basing it off? The evidence given by the people whose job it was to make Bennett look bad?
And per your earlier quote included above, along with the ensuing conversation around how you were offering your opinion as fact; I suspect it must still be Paul White that is ultimately responsible and / or the mastermind behind undermining Bennett?

EDIT: in case my point isn’t clear, you’re responding to a post discussing conspiracies yet you keep making posts countering anyone being critical of Bennett based on no real evidence and looking very much like conspiracy theories...

Last edited:
And per your earlier quote included above, along with the ensuing conversation around how you were offering your opinion as fact; I suspect it must still be Paul White that is ultimately responsible and / or the mastermind behind undermining Bennett?

EDIT: in case my point isn’t clear, you’re responding to a post discussing conspiracies yet you keep making posts countering anyone being critical of Bennett based on no real evidence and looking very much like conspiracy theories...
I’m not willing to let my source be known but until there’s proof either way, my response is as legitimate as everyone else’s that is given without actual evidence

The bolded I agree with, and I believe is his #1 motive. None of us are saying that Bennett is innocent in this affair, but some of us are not completely buying that Bennett is a backstabbing dog that has only his own financial interests at heart. There is a middle ground - on the specific scenario above, Seibold may have been told that Wayne would either accept the deal, or be sacked, so the outcome would the same anyway.

I agree and I am not saying that either...

Your second line shows just where you sit. You keep putting forward statements you attribute to other posters and then attack them for it. No one poster on here has stated anything like that, not even close. What we supposed WB defenders are generally trying to achieve is a fair and reasoned judgement which is what we would do for anyone. It's about trying to be fair and impartial.

When we comment on WB, his motives or actions it's usually based on prior performance and so we consider that too. Nobody thinks WB is infallible and without fault but we'd need solid evidence of wrongdoing to condemn him. We aren't just going with petty jealousy and ageist discrimination.

I haven’t attacked anyone.

I’m not willing to let my source be known but until there’s proof either way, my response is as legitimate as everyone else’s that is given without actual evidence
I don’t care for the legitimacy of your post, I care for the hypocrisy of it.

You’re very quick to criticise others for not having any evidence to substantiate their views (other than that which has been reported ad nauseum in most Australia wide news publications, so at the very least some of it has to be true), yet you refer to something apparently a mate of yours who is a mate of Seibold’s told you. You then parade it around as fact (fact was your word, not mine) and refuse to divulge who it is. Seems convenient.

FTR, I seriously doubt your claim. My opinion (and that’s all it is, but you’ve made it clear we’re all entitled to them) is I really hope the bloke we’ve selected to be head coach of the Broncos isn’t stupid enough to tell some old mate of his from Rockhampton, months ago, he’s got the job and he’ll be starting in 2019 when doing so would breach the confidentiality of any agreement between him and the Broncos. Further, I’d hope anyone who is good enough to get the Broncos head coaching job would know that doing so could end up, amongst other things, costing them their job before they even had it. None of this takes into account that Seibolds old mate obviously has loose lips, because he’s told you and you’ve sprouted it on a public online forum. I just don’t see how someone who ends up in Seibold’s position wouldn’t know his old mate can’t keep a secret as important as this one and would be stupid enough to tell him.

Just my opinion.

You mean a source that is interested in making the Broncos board/management look bad and/or Bennett look good?

Of course, you can choose to believe that is all a big conspiracy from News Corp / Broncos against Bennett, which also involves Souths cooperation, but although not conclusive, the little facts and information that is known, all point towards WB playing silly buggers and lying to everyone.

P.S. I also have a source that gave me the inside info on what happened when Bennett took over from Griffin (people here know about this), and while I trust him, especially given his track record, I'm not silly enough to believe there isn't bias or a hidden agenda behind the stories I'm told.

Active Now

• Totally Unr3al
  • bb_gun
  • Skyblues87
  • winslow_wong
  • The Don
  • Battler
  • Fitzy
  • NSW stables
  • Old Mate
  • BruiserMk1
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  • Robboi_321
  • Mr Fourex
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.