MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
As my final comment on the ‘struggling for consistency’ debate, having just going through the nrl.com ladder, for the last ten rounds we have either been 7th or 8th.

We are currently 7th depending on the outcome of the Warriors game, with little chance we progress (given the ‘easy’ draw the Sharks and Dragons have) much higher unless we win both our final games and Panthers lose one or both of their final games, in which case we could snatch 6th (our F/A counts against us getting much higher)...

In that scenario we will have gone the final 12 rounds and been as low as 8 and as high as 6. If not, we’ll finish 7th or 8th. The same spot we will have spent more than half the season in.

Seems pretty consistent to me...
So true in some ways yet in others, not even close! I'm referring to your last line here ha ha. Yes we've consistently kept ourselves around the same spot but we've used inconsistent performances to do it! In this freaky deaky competition we might win our last two and the Dragons and Penrith could easily lose both remaining games. Should the Sharks fail to turn up(yes unlikely but) they could lose both their remaining games too. If all that happened we'd be fourth, amazing. A girl can dream hey?

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Did laugh this afternoon while listening to Triple M. They were doing some segment about swipe left or right on a topic. On the subject of the BBQ Gordie, predictably, swiped left saying it was a "disgrace and not what the Broncos are about". Kent and Hooper both swiped right saying they'd much rather see a playing group behind the coach. Gordie stopped the game to argue the point saying that "blah blah this has been happening for 3yrs...blah blah....they shouldn't have snubbed it...blah blah" There's a slight silence and Kent and Hooper both say "But they didn't Gordie.....they went to the function. They just went to Wayne's after. They didn't snub White at all" Silence from Tallis. Giggled my arse off.

Although, my laughter was dimmed somewhat when I thought about the articles written by the Journos in question. Fuckwits.

N

Number6

QCup Player
May 21, 2016
Yep, it's not a matter of if he'll be offered a job or not, if he wants a job, he'll have one. I doubt he needs money any more, so it's entirely up to him whether an offer is good enough.

If I was running a shit club like Parra, I'd be doing anything possible to get Bennett at the club for 2 or 3 years if he wants to go that long.

Thing is he may still want money. Divorce lost half right there probably. New gf risks losing more if lives with her for 2 years! Kids with extra financial support needs too.

But imagine legacy is just as important to him. Stubborn old bastard would only likely leave to early to go to a premiership potential club. If feels pushed out will only make that need to go or winning stronger.

For me if he can accept a deputy managing tactics more and agree to take a reality check on Boyd then best for all concerned for him to stay till 2020 and make sure the media and club see part of his legacy is a good succession plan (insert convenient stories about every other club he left in a sh*tpile). If he isn’t interested in seeing reality or prioritising needs of the club then best to find a new coach. No organisation is bigger than one man and can’t be held ransom but losing the key man can cost you big too.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I don’t care that he is doing better than 8 other coaches.

The fact that we are struggling to stay in the 8 given our roster is unacceptable. The injuries is a bullshit excuse, we’ve had plenty of opportunities to win many of the games we lost and we didn’t lose them because of injuries.

We may be a couple of wins off equal first but we are so far behind those teams it’s unbelievable.

If you and everyone else want to accept medicority then you go right ahead. Some people can see this side is capable of doing so much more and Bennett is failing to achieve that.

Yeah, we looked so far behind Souths the other night... unbelievable.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Thing is he may still want money. Divorce lost half right there probably. New gf risks losing more if lives with her for 2 years! Kids with extra financial support needs too.

But imagine legacy is just as important to him. Stubborn old bastard would only likely leave to early to go to a premiership potential club. If feels pushed out will only make that need to go or winning stronger.

For me if he can accept a deputy managing tactics more and agree to take a reality check on Boyd then best for all concerned for him to stay till 2020 and make sure the media and club see part of his legacy is a good succession plan (insert convenient stories about every other club he left in a sh*tpile). If he isn’t interested in seeing reality or prioritising needs of the club then best to find a new coach. No organisation is bigger than one man and can’t be held ransom but losing the key man can cost you big too.

Well ben ikin needs to step up and take care of his dad

B

Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2015
I don't think it's about money. Even with his divorce and son with needs, he'd still be loaded. Has been a HC for 30 years. That's a lot of cabbage.

He's just one of those people who lives for his job and enjoys it. Not many jobs that gives an ego boost like winning games as well. Especially when you get a lot of credit for those wins.

And no doubt it's about legacy also - going out with a Premiership fresh in everyone's minds would make him look good.

Last edited:
K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
There’s an article on Cm with Mcguire walking off from training can someone please post it.

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
There’s an article on Cm with Mcguire walking off from training can someone please post it.

THE Broncos insist Origin lock Josh McGuire will be fit for Saturday’s blockbuster clash with the Roosters following his mysterious departure from training on Monday morning.
McGuire walked off the Broncos’ training field at Red Hill just five minutes into the session following a discussion with coach Wayne Bennett.
The official line from the Broncos was McGuire was ill and left the field for treatment.
5a221f9e24d240aef261e150200adc12

Josh McGuire left Broncos training after just five minutes. Picture: AAP
However his availability for the Allianz Stadium showdown with the Roosters will be crucial to Brisbane’s chances of securing a home final.
“He is probably sore, he puts the body on the line during the week,” Broncos prop Matt Lodge said of McGuire.
“Sometimes he can roll into a session sore but we don’t mind because he rips in.”
4b8bf5e31683e722f6154d41d7285c1a

Josh McGuire’s availability for Brisbane’s clash with the Roosters is unclear. Picture: /Getty Images
The seventh-placed Broncos held a varied training session which even included a game of Australian rules football.
The Broncos have a long turnaround after shocking South Sydney 38-18 last Thursday night and Bennett was looking to keep them fresh ahead of a clash with the second-placed Roosters.
“It was a bit tough,” Lodge said of the Aussie rules session.
“It’s a bit of fun, but I probably won’t take up the sport.
“Tevita (Pangai) and I will probably stay away from AFL.”

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
There's a lot of bugs around in Brisbane at the moment as my doctor tells me, it's probably true of all the capitals with a lot of people coming and going through the airports, ports and transit conduits. Why does everything report need to have a mystery or suspicion about it ? The media is revolting to me, such nasty leeches. Magoo tries to train and is too sick even though he made an effort, why can't that be the headline?

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Gorden Tallis and Justin Hodges have backed Paul White over their former coach

WAYNE Bennett should accept Paul White’s decision to not renew his contract beyond 2019.

Aug 24 2018
6:00PM
cd8b3bcaacc79eb176779c369c63067e

Wayne Bennett has not been offered a contract extension beyond 2019.Source: AAP
That is the opinion of Gorden Tallis and Justin Hodges, who have urged Bennett to do what is best for the club, even if that means moving on.
“He’s taken it a bit like Andrew Fifita did the other day and sticking his finger up without the actions,” Tallis said of Bennett’s response to Paul White’s decision.
Get 3 months free Sport HD + Entertainment on a 12 month plan and watch every game of every round of the 2018 NRL Telstra Premiership on FOX SPORTS. T&Cs apply. SIGN UP NOW >
694813_640x360_large_20180821203435.jpg

'Wayne... take your medicine'
5:50
“Wayne is going at the club and he is trying to dismantle them at the moment.
“Paul White and the board have made a decision, that is best for the club.
“It is the bosses tapping him on the shoulder and Wayne has tapped so many players on the shoulder and we’ve all had to take it.
“Now he is getting tapped on the shoulder and he is not liking it.”
Bennett has made no secret of his desire to keep coaching beyond his current contract and will look elsewhere if he doesn’t get a gig at the Broncos.
However Tallis believes this attitude is having a negative effect on the club and will hurt their succession plans for the post Bennett era.
MORE NRL NEWS
DENIED: EELS ROCKED BY FRESH CLAIMS OF SALARY CAP CHEATING
MORE TROUBLE: PANTHERS’ WOES CONTINUE, KIKAU VISA DRAMA
PANTHERS: MALONEY RESPONDS TO REPORTS OF CLEARY RIFT
THE LAB: RAIDERS EXPOSE ROOSTERS’ WEAKNESS
STORM CHASING: ROOSTERS EYE CRONK REPLACEMENT

“He has put feelers out for other jobs and if there is another job, he is going to leave them in the lurch for next year,” Tallis said.
“Wayne is throwing all the toys out of the cot at the moment and I’d like him to respect the decision that the club is making.
“The club is bigger than any one coach or player.”
Another former skipper under Bennett in Justin Hodges also backed the club’s decision to move on from the Wayne Bennett era.
“I have to agree with Gorden,” Justin Hodges said.
“We’ve all had the chat where we have to move on and we have all had to take roles at the club, so is there a problem working for the Broncos if you are not in a coaching role?
“I support Paul White and at the end of the day, Wayne has got to take his medicine.
“If it is the in the best interest of the club, he has to move on and the club has got to go in a different direction.”
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...h/news-story/ffa2713cf713c40c37d5f99813cd7b41

The latest rantings from the resident Gold Coast idiot.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
A bit more weight when Hodgo is on the same page, however...

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
A bit more weight when Hodgo is on the same page, however...
Only if you're silly enough to imagine Tallis has made his idiotic statements and Hodges was sitting right next to him nodding which is exactly how you are meant to picture it. Hodges comment, tacked on the end is probably his response to a a question like 'Gorden Tallis recently said that WB should accept the umpires decision and get on with things'. What's you're view Hodgo ? It's entirely possible, even likely that Hodges was nowhere near Tallis at the time Tallis uttered his unsubstantiated bullshit. It might not even have been the same day and the question I framed may have been the only question asked of Hodges.

The article is written in such a way as to suggest that Hodges and Tallis agree that WB is actively working against the Broncos, he's trying to dismantle the board and bring down the club, he's irrational and malevolently striving to cause harm. I don't know where Tallis is getting his information from but how the **** would that fuckwit know what WB is doing ? As far as I know WB has been knocked back for 2020 but apparently is still so highly regarded by the Broncos they're trying to keep him involved beyond 2019.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Only if you're silly enough to imagine Tallis has made his idiotic statements and Hodges was sitting right next to him nodding which is exactly how you are meant to picture it. Hodges comment, tacked on the end is probably his response to a a question like 'Gorden Tallis recently said that WB should accept the umpires decision and get on with things'. What's you're view Hodgo ? It's entirely possible, even likely that Hodges was nowhere near Tallis at the time Tallis uttered his unsubstantiated bullshit. It might not even have been the same day and the question I framed may have been the only question asked of Hodges.

The article is written in such a way as to suggest that Hodges and Tallis agree that WB is actively working against the Broncos, he's trying to dismantle the board and bring down the club, he's irrational and malevolently striving to cause harm. I don't know where Tallis is getting his information from but how the **** would that fuckwit know what WB is doing ? As far as I know WB has been knocked back for 2020 but apparently is still so highly regarded by the Broncos they're trying to keep him involved beyond 2019.
Saw on Fox Sports news that Gordon said it on Queenslanders only and going off the Hodgo photo used I suspect he was sitting next to him.

Horseheadsup

Horseheadsup

NRL Player
Mar 21, 2016
Asks bitter fuckwit a question, gets bitter response from said fuckwit.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Saw on Fox Sports news that Gordon said it on Queenslanders only and going off the Hodgo photo used I suspect he was sitting next to him.
Even if it were the case that Hodgo was near Tallis it doesn't mean Hodgo agrees with every statement. It is selective reporting and Hodgo might well agree with one statement of Tallis's but not necessarily all his bitter utterances.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Even if it were the case that Hodgo was near Tallis it doesn't mean Hodgo agrees with every statement. It is selective reporting and Hodgo might well agree with one statement of Tallis's but not necessarily all his bitter utterances.
Might be better if you watch the vision. Hodgo was pretty much completely on board with Tallis' sentiments and fully supported everything that he was saying.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008

I saw it live last night and just watched it again. Scott Prince was also on board.

I have been a long term supporter of Bennett, but can I say I agree with Tallis on this point, if Bennett bails on us at the end of the season to take up a coaching role at another club, it will be poor form and I agree it will constitute him throwing all of his toys out of the cot.

The club has consistently said it will honour his contract for next year but move on after that. He should do the same. There appears to be synergy with McGregor's contract being up at the end of next year. Sign with St George for 2020 on a two year contract. He gets his further 2 years that he wants, we get to plan for the future.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I saw it live last night and just watched it again. Scott Prince was also on board.

I have been a long term supporter of Bennett, but can I say I agree with Tallis on this point, if Bennett bails on us at the end of the season to take up a coaching role at another club, it will be poor form and I agree it will constitute him throwing all of his toys out of the cot.

The club has consistently said it will honour his contract for next year but move on after that. He should do the same. There appears to be synergy with McGregor's contract being up at the end of next year. Sign with St George for 2020 on a two year contract. He gets his further 2 years that he wants, we get to plan for the future.
Yeah I think I agree with Tallis as well.

Broncos are in a premiership window at the moment and it would be stupid for us to sack our coach this late in the piece, therefore the only way Bennett doesn't coach us in 2019 is if he leaves on his own accord, which to me is a poor move from Bennett and leaves the broncos and the players in a difficult situation in what should be a successful period for the team.

The Broncos have done the right thing by providing Bennett with an end date, which is about 12 months away. He knows the situation and can put his ducks in a row to line up a gig for 2020.

What is not considered by the media is that Bennett's time is nearly up and even he is undecided on an end date, which makes things extremely difficult for the club.

They're likely looking for the next coaching contract to be 2-3 years, pending experience of the coach, which takes it out to 2022-2023 and from all reports it sounds like Bennett has no intention of making it that long, so the broncos would just be hunting around for another coach in 12-18 months when Bennett finally makes a decision.

That is too much uncertainty for a club like the broncos and surely Bennett can appreciate that

Unread

Active Now

• Organix
  • Allo
  • Battler
  • Brocko
  • eazy-duzzit
  • Mr Fourex
  • Rambstien
  • The Boss
  • Pablo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.