MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
So what has Wayne done to not warrant a contract extension?

Apart from not winning every game 40-0. Which is what some fans expect.

Our premiership window opened and now we're back to a rebuilding phase due to some questionable selections, recruitment & retention.

He was brought here to win a premiership and we've just gone backwards.

That and the fact that he is still refusing to adapt to the changing game.

So what has Wayne done to not warrant a contract extension?

Apart from not winning every game 40-0. Which is what some fans expect.

I suspect that is something that you will never find out. It could come out later but I don't think so. It's a bit of a mess that's for sure. Things have been getting worse behind the scenes.

Our premiership window opened and now we're back to a rebuilding phase due to some questionable selections, recruitment & retention.

Agree to a certain extent. I think our premiership window is opening again soon. Definitely by 2020.

What changing game? Rugby League is a simple game mate. We try to make it complicated but tell me a more effective game plan than running hard and tackling hard?

That's how we won on Thursday. Our forwards were tougher than the Souths forwards on this night. It released our playmakers who where then able to get our outside backs into the action.

I don't get how Rugby League is so complicated these days.

Do you think Wayne would go to a lesser roster for his final years. I think if he goes it will be to a team that has GF potential.
To be honest I don't believe WB wants to coach anywhere else and I don't think he will. That said I think he may consider the Gold Coast if it were offered. My reasoning is ludicrously based on how I feel as an old guy heading into the sunset and the way I'd feel is that WB would not like to uproot his life at near 70.

Last edited:
If Wayne Bennett wants to coach in 2020 he'll be coaching.
Yep, it's not a matter of if he'll be offered a job or not, if he wants a job, he'll have one. I doubt he needs money any more, so it's entirely up to him whether an offer is good enough.

If I was running a shit club like Parra, I'd be doing anything possible to get Bennett at the club for 2 or 3 years if he wants to go that long.

Agree to a certain extent. I think our premiership window is opening again soon. Definitely by 2020.

What changing game? Rugby League is a simple game mate. We try to make it complicated but tell me a more effective game plan than running hard and tackling hard?

That's how we won on Thursday. Our forwards were tougher than the Souths forwards on this night. It released our playmakers who where then able to get our outside backs into the action.

It isn't that simple.

The game is getting faster, there is more emphasis on open play. We have a side that can take full advantage of that as we witnessed in 2015 thanks to Kevvie, but we don't anymore. Sometimes we do, but not enough. Our current gameplan doesn't utilize this sides strengths. He either doesn't know how or is just flat out refusing to change up the gameplan.

His refusal to wrestle is also hurting us. We could up there with the Storm if we just start changing things in those two areas.

It isn't that simple.

The game is getting faster, there is more emphasis on open play. We have a side that can take full advantage of that as we witnessed in 2015 thanks to Kevvie, but we don't anymore. Sometimes we do, but not enough. Our current gameplan doesn't utilize this sides strengths. He either doesn't know how or is just flat out refusing to change up the gameplan.

His refusal to wrestle is also hurting us. We could up there with the Storm if we just start changing things in those two areas.
Wayne doesn’t like the wrestle and nor do I but it crept into our game and is now part and parcel.
So to keep up with the program either Wayne or the game has to change and I can see neither happening any time soon.
To be successful in anything we do in life we need to keep reinventing ourselves and above all stay in front of our competition or at the least keep up by accepting change and modifying our lot accordingly. To not do so we would be a plumber still using galvanised pipe or a carpenter still using a claw hammer refusing to use a nail gun and be ultimately left behind.
Only my opinion but Walters maybe tried to drive this point of view, failed so walked away. Perhaps the club has also failed and therefore faced with doing the same thing.

Bennett ball is a simple game yes.

He is doing better than 8 other coaches. We are 2 games of equal 1st spot !! How the **** some people come up with this bullshit is beyond me , oh and thats not playing consistent footy and some decent injuries too.

I suspect that is something that you will never find out. It could come out later but I don't think so. It's a bit of a mess that's for sure. Things have been getting worse behind the scenes.

So you think wayne will be punted?

The Broncos would never ever be allowed to wrestle. They get penalised for making normal tackles.

Pretty sure they practice wrestling in their training, thought parker was involved to. Every team dose it , sadly it's part of the game

Pretty sure they practice wrestling in their training, thought parker was involved to. Every team dose it , sadly it's part of the game

I think I've read somewhere that the Broncos, and a few other teams, use wrestling for the strength and conditioning, not as a technique for play.

Some comments on here are based on pure delusion. Especially those regarding a game that’s moved on. First Melbourne’s success isn’t because of wrestling, it’s because of Cam smith. cowboys and parra wrestle their guts out and are spooning each other on the wooden floor. I heard from a trusted source that since Clint Eastwood isn’t getting many action roles he no longer needs Wayne as a stunt double and he’s now been offered a role in the horse outfit as mascot. Apparently he wins too many games, has the trust and loyalty of too many good young players, is useless because he can’t make an injury and rookie ravaged team win a minor premiership and procures fine ribs.

I am all for wayne staying. But i also understand the position the board are taking. A lot has to go our way for a coach to be lined up and the right coach at that. We could give Wayne 2 more years and the bloke has a stroke two months in. Doubt it, but at 70 and being male the chances of everything are above 60%. It is a gamble.

He is doing better than 8 other coaches. We are 2 games of equal 1st spot !! How the **** some people come up with this bullshit is beyond me , oh and thats not playing consistent footy and some decent injuries too.
Honestly, we are struggling at the bottom of the eight and have been comprehensively beaten in consecutive weeks by two teams fighting for the wooden spoon. No matter what sort of spin, I can’t see anything changing next year while the current training methods are again applied.

Honestly, we are struggling at the bottom of the eight and have been comprehensively beaten in consecutive weeks by two teams fighting for the wooden spoon. No matter what sort of spin, I can’t see anything changing next year while the current training methods are again applied.

Yet we've beaten most of the top eight, go figure. Either way you look at it we are 2 wins of 1st spot , with 2 of our best out and struggling with consistency because of a young squad. I think peoples expectations are ridiculous sometimes.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.