MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
What’s this say? My VPN isn’t working, so can’t see the tweet.

Upload 2018 8 18 8 56 11

I wonder if The Broncos know exactly what the role is they offered for Wayne for 2020 ?

I mean..we all know he still wants to coach butif it is a director-of-coaching type position, that would seem a pretty plumb gig ?

I'm picturing him saying "they want me to step down" as a smart ass response to a shit journo.

? He said it at a high school event where he was giving a speech.

Last edited:
It sounds like sour grapes from Bennett to be honest. The club is looking out for the club, the only person fueling thr fire from the Broncos is Bennett, he got offended because his plan got rejected along with a contract extension.

If Bennett leaves and then in turn so does TPJ, but we keep Oates and they give JD a shot for a year, other than TPJ what have we lost? Oates is more value to the side than TPJ. By this time next year we'll have people creaming their pants over Fifita, Sua and Hass who I feel are all well ahead of TPJ at the same age. Don't get me wrong I would love to keep TPJ, but if he is a casualty to Bennett walking or coaching in 2019 before moving on, I can live with that.

It sounds like sour grapes from Bennett to be honest. The club is looking out for the club, the only person fueling thr fire from the Broncos is Bennett, he got offended because his plan got rejected along with a contract extension.

If Bennett leaves and then in turn so does TPJ, but we keep Oates and they give JD a shot for a year, other than TPJ what have we lost? Oates is more value to the side than TPJ. By this time next year we'll have people creaming their pants over Fifita, Sua and Hass who I feel are all well ahead of TPJ at the same age. Don't get me wrong I would love to keep TPJ, but if he is a casualty to Bennett walking or coaching in 2019 before moving on, I can live with that.

The opportunity to take the necessary amount of time to do due diligence to replace the greatest coach of all time

Have finally had a chance to watch the press conference and one thing that came to mind is the re-signing of Bellamy.

This is a coach who was off contract as of November this year, he's also a coach with the best win percentage over the last decade or so. Yet he was unsigned with only months left on his contract.

To put it into context where was the media scrutiny this time last year when Bellamy had 14 months left but Melbourne hadn't put an extension in place. It's almost the exact same situation.

One thing I would've liked to hear from White when queried about coaching in 2020 is him saying that whilst all options will be considered for 2020 Wayne remains in the box seat.

It doesn't need to be true, because "things change bro", but it would instantly end all speculation that the club is looking to move on.

Just because they didn't instantly accept Wayne's proposal for 2020 onwards shouldn't mean they no longer want him, it just means what he put forward wasn't what they were after at the time, hell maybe they want Bennett to coach for another 2-3 years but he's not sure if he can last that long...

I guess I have a problem when a man who has been here for most of the broncos time is told by people who are relatively johny-come-lately's with no major expertise in coaching that he is no longer capable of being our coach.
He obviously is being white-anted at every opportunity by people in positions of power both inside and outside the club for reasons beyond anything to do with football.
Maybe the CEO and chairman believe they alone control the club's future. If that's so, they might want to share the direction they think they want to take it before making hodgepodge statements about coaching.
What galls me most is what some journalists who appear on a personal vendetta report when pointless inuendo and self-made rumours are presented as fact.
That Bennet is in a battle to save his career is obvious. Beyond that, for anything else to have legs it would have to come from the top. If that's the case, a major cleanup for all positions of power in this club is needed soon, from the top down.

Just sounds like a grumpy old man who has tantrums when his beliefs and plans are challenged.

I thought White said that the 2020 onwards offer wasn't a thing.
He didnt have any dealings re any offer of a non coaching position for 2020. Something that Morris was discussing with WB.
Todays CM reporting WB not interested in a non coaching position. So go figure

I guess I have a problem when a man who has been here for most of the broncos time is told by people who are relatively johny-come-lately's with no major expertise in coaching that he is no longer capable of being our coach.
He obviously is being white-anted at every opportunity by people in positions of power both inside and outside the club for reasons beyond anything to do with football.
Maybe the CEO and chairman believe they alone control the club's future. If that's so, they might want to share the direction they think they want to take it before making hodgepodge statements about coaching.
What galls me most is what some journalists who appear on a personal vendetta report when pointless inuendo and self-made rumours are presented as fact.
That Bennet is in a battle to save his career is obvious. Beyond that, for anything else to have legs it would have to come from the top. If that's the case, a major cleanup for all positions of power in this club is needed soon, from the top down.
I don't see it as a 'save his career' position. His career is already complete in a sense, it has been very long, more successful than any other before and actually still going with another year to go. Another thing is that WB will be welcomed at other clubs if he does wish to continue so it's not really a battle. I totally agree with you about the bottom feeding scum in the media , some with an agenda to tear down the tall poppy.

Although I have no right to know I'd love to hear PWs and the boards reasons for already deciding WB is out for 2020. Who knows, he might have locked up back to back premierships by then. How can they have made up their minds 6 months ago ? What has WB done behind the scenes ? Surely it just cannot be ageism.

I don't see it as a 'save his career' position. His career is already complete in a sense, it has been very long, more successful than any other before and actually still going with another year to go. Another thing is that WB will be welcomed at other clubs if he does wish to continue so it's not really a battle. I totally agree with you about the bottom feeding scum in the media , some with an agenda to tear down the tall poppy.

Although I have no right to know I'd love to hear PWs and the boards reasons for already deciding WB is out for 2020. Who knows, he might have locked up back to back premierships by then. How can they have made up their minds 6 months ago ? What has WB done behind the scenes ? Surely it just cannot be ageism.
That would be interesting to me too: the board's side. I'm open to the idea there may be more but I suspect we won't know until one of them, Bennet or the board is history.
I agree with you that Bennet has a proud history of success at this club and others, but people tend to remember only the recent or his career at the broncos would not be in jepeordy.
I'm sure he would be welcome at other clubs but it is this one he loves. Im not privy to anything, but I can read it in the way he coaches and his desperation to remain here. It's something that makes him sometimes lash out in the media when he feels it under threat.
Other clubs could pay him more, but he'll never be the Bennet the broncos have known.

That would be interesting to me too: the board's side. I'm open to the idea there may be more but I suspect we won't know until one of them, Bennet or the board is history.
I agree with you that Bennet has a proud history of success at this club and others, but people tend to remember only the recent or his career at the broncos would not be in jepeordy.
I'm sure he would be welcome at other clubs but it is this one he loves. Im not privy to anything, but I can read it in the way he coaches and his desperation to remain here. It's something that makes him sometimes lash out in the media when he feels it under threat.
Other clubs could pay him more, but he'll never be the Bennet the broncos have known.
I believe it's a definite, there is more to it than we know and truthfully the media have been like bloodhounds yet no explanation has surfaced for the seemingly irrational announcements that WB will not be here in 2020. The only reasons I've heard have come from Rothfield who said it's to do with WBs new girl and drama surrounding his marriage breakup and 'other issues'. He didn't offer anymore than that and his fellow panellists wanted nothing to do with those comments.

Just a question. Why would any club want to sign Wayne or any other coach to a 2 year deal?
He could struggle to get another gig.

Just a question. Why would any club want to sign Wayne or any other coach to a 2 year deal?
He could struggle to get another gig.
Really ? Imagine if a battling club wanted him to set in place all that's necessary for success while mentoring a younger assistant to take over. That experience can't be grabbed off the shelf and two to three years might suit WB. Won't matter, WB will probably hang up the spurs after we win the premiership this year !

Active Now

• Mick_Hancock
  • BooKhaki
  • Sproj
  • heartly87
  • Jedhead
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Emanon
  • kman
  • Wolfie
  • winslow_wong
  • ezpz
  • Dash
  • Stix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.