MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
If you can't read and interpret what I type, please don't bother responding. The game is noted, usually, perhaps wrongly, of becoming a professional sport at the turn of the SL.

Now, let me simplify the question for you.

Why do you think we should give a stuff about a coaches accolades from prior to 1988, given it was a completely different game, with different players, styles, rules etc.?

IE. Why would what a coach did in 1988's game, make a lick of difference to what he does in 2018?
Don't forget that it was like the 3rd best comp in the world

Dash

Dash

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Dec 12, 2014
Now we've gone from 1988 to 1998. That brings Bennett back to only 4 from 5. What a spud.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Why do you believe that anything prior to the sport becoming professional should be comparable or even discussed when talking about the coaching ability of someone though? It's like saying that X Coach/Player killed in in Q-Cup, but as we all know, the skill level just isn't there, so plenty simply can't make the jump.

It's not a comparison it's someone's career. There were two comps and both deserve recognition. It's the history of the sport which is a good thing- why would someone not want history? A lot of sports do it so much better than League. You'd never hear a cricket fan so oh yeah but his 300 wickets was in the 70's so it doesn't count.

If you just count from mid to late 90's you're selling the game pretty short.

I agree on comparing across generations as far as is Wally better than Thurston I don't think I do that but not on being inclusive.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I am reassured by the White presser and very very happy with WB being around in 2019. I don't believe the Broncos ever had any intention of not honouring the the contract for 2019 nor did I think WB would walk away or break his commitment. Brilliant and now we have some stability. That will help the boys out and it can't be understated how important that is.

I have only one lingering question and it was asked and not adequately answered and it's this.

Given that the Broncos chased Bellamy, the most successful coach in the league and failed to land him and given that we have the second most successful coach already contracted, why not simply sign him up to continue through 2020 ?

That was my only beef with White's presser and I think I'm going to have to live with not knowing. I do believe there's a shitload of reasons for it including ageism.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
It's not a comparison it's someone's career. There were two comps and both deserve recognition. It's the history of the sport which is a good thing- why would someone not want history? A lot of sports do it so much better than League. You'd never hear a cricket fan so oh yeah but his 300 wickets was in the 70's so it doesn't count.

If you just count from mid to late 90's you're selling the game pretty short.

I agree on comparing across generations as far as is Wally better than Thurston I don't think I do that but not on being inclusive.

I'm not saying to not recognise them. Stop reading shit that just ain't there mate.

People in this thread, you included, are arguing Bennett's merits based on competitions he won a very, very, very long time ago. They are using this as part of their platform to say Bennett is the man for the job, and Coach X is no good because he hasn't got X many premierships. I'm saying, I don't think those old competitions mean a thing when it comes to discussing the ability of a coach. All you had to do in 88 was make sure the team weren't drunk or hungover, and you've gone 50% of the way of winning the competition. Get the captain to lay of the durries for a few hours a day, and hell, you might just be the favourites to take it out.

I also couldn't give two hints of a **** about cricket. But I'll use a stupid example those fans use. "He's the next Don Bradman". That would be horrible, the bowlers now days would absolutely destroy a bloke from when Bradman was hitting them.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I'm not saying to not recognise them. Stop reading shit that just ain't there mate.

People in this thread, you included, are arguing Bennett's merits based on competitions he won a very, very, very long time ago. They are using this as part of their platform to say Bennett is the man for the job, and Coach X is no good because he hasn't got X many premierships. I'm saying, I don't think those old competitions mean a thing when it comes to discussing the ability of a coach. All you had to do in 88 was make sure the team weren't drunk or hungover, and you've gone 50% of the way of winning the competition. Get the captain to lay of the durries for a few hours a day, and hell, you might just be the favourites to take it out.

I also couldn't give two hints of a **** about cricket. But I'll use a stupid example those fans use. "He's the next Don Bradman". That would be horrible, the bowlers now days would absolutely destroy a bloke from when Bradman was hitting them.

How can you be for recognising but then say they mean nothing?

I haven't argued Bennett's merit just his record. If you're going to say someone's record you should get it right and the original fraction of success/failure wasn't right.

I have stuck up for Seibold and JD and the argument he hasn't won anything and stated- why shouldn't your focus be finding the next Bennett if you are going to decide to get rid of him. I certainly don't agree with the he's done nothing view point and have said that.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
How can you be for recognising but then say they mean nothing?

Deadset.

You can recognise the achievements of the past and realise they mean absolutely nothing in 2018. Wow, Bennett is great, he won 92/93, what a legend. Great. It means absolutely and utterly nothing in 2018, when people are using it as a reason to keep a coach, or get another coach.

Just because I happen to be replying to you, doesn't mean I'm specifically discussing your opinion, and yours only.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
I am reassured by the White presser and very very happy with WB being around in 2019. I don't believe the Broncos ever had any intention of not honouring the the contract for 2019 nor did I think WB would walk away or break his commitment. Brilliant and now we have some stability. That will help the boys out and it can't be understated how important that is.

I have only one lingering question and it was asked and not adequately answered and it's this.

Given that the Broncos chased Bellamy, the most successful coach in the league and failed to land him and given that we have the second most successful coach already contracted, why not simply sign him up to continue through 2020 ?

That was my only beef with White's presser and I think I'm going to have to live with not knowing. I do believe there's a shitload of reasons for it including ageism.

Exactly! And isn't his contract for only 2 years? So we could have another crack !

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

I think they should time it with whoever the replacement is going to be. If they are looking at Seibold, and theybare confident of getting him, then Wayne only has a year. If it's another coach, off contract later on, we might as well keep Wayne until then. I don't believe in caretaker coaches.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I think they should time it with whoever the replacement is going to be. If they are looking at Seibold, and theybare confident of getting him, then Wayne only has a year. If it's another coach, off contract later on, we might as well keep Wayne until then. I don't believe in caretaker coaches.
I have no doubt they will be looking at one of the available coaches for 2020 but the question remains, if you're looking for a coach, why take a coach with a vastly inferior record when you have the option of the most successful coach in history and the second best coach currently ? Perhaps this is intended to keep WB on his toes and remove any complacency he has. Shit, they may even extend him after we win it this year

PerthBrissy987

PerthBrissy987

NRL Player
Dec 8, 2016
I have no doubt they will be looking at one of the available coaches for 2020 but the question remains, if you're looking for a coach, why take a coach with a vastly inferior record when you have the option of the most successful coach in history and the second best coach currently ? Perhaps this is intended to keep WB on his toes and remove any complacency he has. Shit, they may even extend him after we win it this year

What coaches are actually available for 2020 ?

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

Cause Wayne only apparently asked for 1 more extra year, from the articles I've read before.

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
Everyone is on about a rookie coach, but remember Wayne was once a rookie too.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
What coaches are actually available for 2020 ?
As Paul White stated there are quite a few coaches off contract in 2020. I don't know who they are but he said that repeatedly during his press conference.

Last edited:
Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
As Paul White stated there are quite a few coaches off contract in 2020. I don't know who they are but he said that repeatedly during his press conference.
What's your take on Jason Demetriou as coach Huge?

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
What's your take on Jason Demetriou as coach Huge?
I'm a poor judge and would defer to the people on here who live and breathe rugby league. My only take is that WB wouldn't have him there if he wasn't first rate and from what I've read he has an outstanding record so on that basis alone I'm sure the guy would be very capable and probably a great replacement. Like I said though, my opinion is largely uninformed.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
I'm a poor judge and would defer to the people on here who live and breathe rugby league. My only take is that WB wouldn't have him there if he wasn't first rate and from what I've read he has an outstanding record so on that basis alone I'm sure the guy would be very capable and probably a great replacement. Like I said though, my opinion is largely uninformed.
I'm just perplexed as to why our fan base is not keen to see one of our own promoted to take over from Benny. There has been hardly a word of support for him.

Active Now

• Cavalo
  • Foordy
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Spooky1013
  • Pablo
  • Sproj
  • Brocko
  • Lostboy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Financeguy
  • Rambstien
  • winslow_wong
  • BroncoFan94
  • Kev_Guz
  • Harry Sack
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.