MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Maybe it's the fact that the best options are available to take over the ranks in 2020, rather than 2021.

The only one who we know conclusively is a 2020 starter is Seibold.

Maguire can start on the 12th of November when his commitments with the NZ team end. JD can start tomorrow. Walters can start tomorrow. If they're really, really certain that Seibold is their man, have set the timeframes around him, and are only interviewing the others out of a "can't hurt to see" mentality, I'd be very surprised. Especially after the "2019 is Bennett's last year" came about when Bellamy was the #1 target, not Seibold.

FaithinHook

FaithinHook

NRL Player
Jun 4, 2013

Is it just me or does there seem to be a sudden groundswell of support for Kevvie over the past 24 hours or so? It's like the momentum has shifted towards him and away from Seibold in many quarters, especially in the media. Tell you what, this interview tomorrow is make or break time for him. I really feel Kevvie is revving himself up tonight for the biggest and most important game of his life tomorrow.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Is it just me or does there seem to be a sudden groundswell of support for Kevvie over the past 24 hours or so? It's like the momentum has shifted towards him and away from Seibold in many quarters, especially in the media. Tell you what, this interview tomorrow is make or break time for him. I really feel Kevvie is revving himself up tonight for the biggest and most important game of his life tomorrow.

There has been hardly anything said about Walters in the media in regards to the Broncos coaching job and whether or not they support him over Siebold.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
The fact that Hasler was never in the frame for the job up here gives me a faint hope the club are taking this very seriously.

FaithinHook

FaithinHook

NRL Player
Jun 4, 2013
There has been hardly anything said about Walters in the media in regards to the Broncos coaching job and whether or not they support him over Siebold.

I don't mean literally mate as in newspaper articles all over the place. There has however been a fair bit of chatter in various forums I read and I also subscribe to google alerts and there has been an increased number of articles today, specifically relating to his interview tomorrow.

I just feel like he is starting to get some momentum behind him now after all the initial talk was about Seibold and Madge. My question is, will his impassioned pleas tomorrow be enough to get him over the line. Particularly if Seibold turns us down?

E

ettybay

NYC Player
May 9, 2014
If you are going to punt your coach, surely you would replace him with a better coach or am I just dumb?

the_next

the_next

NRL Captain
Mar 9, 2018
Imagine Seibold as head coach and JD staying on as his assitance, I know it'd be wishful thinking but I think that would be our best scenario.

It will however be very interesting IF Seibold does take on the top job, because it sounds as though Souffs are very strong on either him signing an extension or if he doesn't he goes elsewhere. Given he is signed at Souffs for 2019, I would be surprised if they do want him to stick around next year.. That then leads to Brisbane having to pay WB out for 2019 - something White has said wont happen.
I am more then confident that Seibold wont want to have a year off coaching - especially this early in his career..

It'll be interesting to say the least..

Last edited:
FaithinHook

FaithinHook

NRL Player
Jun 4, 2013
Imagine Seibold as head coach and JD staying on as his assitance, I know it'd be wishful thinking but I think that would be our best scenario.

It will however be very interesting IF Seibold does take on the top job, because it sounds as though Souffs are very strong on either him signing an extension or if he doesn't he goes elsewhere. Given he is signed at Souffs for 2019, I would be surprised if they do want him to stick around next year.. That then leads to Brisbane having to pay WB out for 2019 - something White has said wont happen.
I am more then confident that Seibold wont want to have a year off coaching - especially this early in his career..

It'll be interesting to say the least..

I am actually thinking if Seibold does get appointed as our coach, he will start next year and there will be a direct swap with Bennett to the Rabbits. Hey stranger things have happened.

the_next

the_next

NRL Captain
Mar 9, 2018
I am actually thinking if Seibold does get appointed as our coach, he will start next year and there will be a direct swap with Bennett to the Rabbits. Hey stranger things have happened.
I did think the same.. I have heard that WB would keen on the idea, however Souffs not so much..
I think they would look to Adam O'Brien if Seib's leaves..
Why we didn't have a look at O'Brien is beyond me also, I think his name deserves to be thrown in the ring at least..

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
If you are going to punt your coach, surely you would replace him with a better coach or am I just dumb?

Depends on who they think is better I guess ! None of the options are better imo , not a big fan of Bellamy but he's the closest.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013

You’re not dumb, but our board seems to be.

How are we defining "Better coach" today? I don't see how people can definitively say that any of these coaching options are a direct downgrade on the 2018 version of Bennett. I've posted the defensive statistics from the past 4 seasons a few times, there's a very measurable decline happening every season. Not even mentioning some of the very questionable contracts he's handed out over the last 12-18 months. We're getting further and further away from a premiership with Bennett at the helm, that's a fact.

Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe

QCup Player
Dec 11, 2013
I’ve been told somewhat reliably that the coaching job is Seibolds if he wants it. Up to him now. Then plan B will come in to play if he knocks it back.

Wayne to coach on..... Two clubs very interested and could realistically get him. Neither has been reported openly. Will only go to a club with a shot at a title to cement his legacy.

Surprises me as I was of the opinion he would finish up.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
I’ve been told somewhat reliably that the coaching job is Seibolds if he wants it. Up to him now. Then plan B will come in to play if he knocks it back.

Wayne to coach on..... Two clubs very interested and could realistically get him. Neither has been reported openly. Will only go to a club with a shot at a title to cement his legacy.

Surprises me as I was of the opinion he would finish up.
would love to see what he could do at somewhere like the warriors.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013

That's pretty much what I expected, Seibold is pretty evidently the #1 choice. The Maguire rumour probably only surfaced to put some more pressure on Seibold to accept, I'd say if Seibold knocks it back it'll be a 2 horse race between Demetriou & Walters. Not sure who I would prefer out of the 2 secondary options.. Maybe JD, marginally.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Stix
  • Broncs1459
  • davidp
  • Ondi
  • Manofoneway
  • Strop
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.