MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
I instinctively cringe when I hear people mention Toovey, Hasler, McGuire, Cleary as potential coaches over Wayne GODDAM Bennett.

I instinctively cringe when I hear people mention Toovey, Hasler, McGuire, Cleary as potential coaches over Wayne GODDAM Bennett.

Yep , bellamy is the only one that has the credentials to take over. In my opinion anyone else would need Wayne around in some form.

Wayne isn't perfect but nobody is, and he is the best coach going round, or damn close to it

Until there is somebody better to replace him, don't replace him

Simple as that

If he does re-sign are we going to have the same conversation in 2 years, 3 years, 5 years? If reports are true WB has asked for 1 further year (2 years). What’s the plan then?

While I would prefer he took a different role with the club not opposed to re-signing if no better LONG term options. Maybe 2 years will do for now but need the board thinking 5-10 years ahead so don’t end up with a Henjak Griffin circus like last time.

Also got almost all the kids signed now so got to balance pissing them off now and it showing on the field vs them all exiting when WB does.

It’s not a straight forward issue for me. Whatever u believe about where the fault lies there is no doubting WB leaving does not seem to bode well for a club...

Wayne isn't perfect but nobody is, and he is the best coach going round, or damn close to it

Until there is somebody better to replace him, don't replace him

Simple as that
We should sign 'nobody' then.

I don't think we can afford to lose someone of Wayne's value, especially in a period of transition, but I have no problem with the club wanting to wait until the season is complete to discuss what is happening in the 2020 season.

Ideally I'd like someone like Seibolt taking the reigns with Wayne as Football Manager, but if the club is going in a different direction, I hope they tie up TPJ for years beforehand!

If reports are true WB has asked for 1 further year (2 years). What’s the plan then?

he has asked for his final year as coach to be 2020, then he would moved to a head of football role in 2021

Maybe the one year extension is Wayne saying to the board that we won't be the premiership heavyweight until then? I don't blame him for that logic given the age of our squad and the fact that Smith and co will be out the door by then (thank GOD). I don't think he's an idiot, he'll know that he can't keep going forever at his age.

If we hadn't had suffered injuries this year to key players in Gillett (best second rower in the game) and Bird (say what you want about him, he is a competitor in the Jurbo mould when he's on the field) we'd 100% be in the top four this year. I know injuries are part and parcel of the game, but we've had rotten luck with them this season.

**** WB off and get a modern day coach. The NRL has evolved but Bennett hasn’t.

All he has to do is hire a BJJ coach and line the pockets of a few refs by 'inviting' them to training sessions and he'll be up to date.

Last edited:
he has asked for his final year as coach to be 2020, then he would moved to a head of football role in 2021

With Wayne’s pick of JD in 21? What if we don’t want JD and want Seibold or someone else - will WB go with that? Will JD be able to be an independent coach with help from WB or will he be unable to push back given the existing dynamic? What is difference between WB being head of football in 20 instead of 21? If he is really ready to step aside a bit would he go to another club for the sake of coaching 1 more year unless it’s about ego or respect? If board was on board with this plan why isn’t it signed and dusted already? Or is it but WB is playing the media (and the fans mind u)?

Not saying have the answers but this matter has been a sh*tfest for the club so far but way to make it worse is not asking all the right questions which may or may not be happening...

Surely this couldn’t be about money could it, he’s already multimillionaire.

Good coaches are not going to want Wayne hovering over them in a Football manager role.

Good coaches are not going to want Wayne hovering over them in a Football manager role.

This is it for me. The best the panthers could sign was hook. Tells you something.

It could be that the board just has no idea of how it would play out having Wayne in that role. And that’s the possible risk of not attracting an elite coach in than context.

This is it for me. The best the panthers could sign was hook. Tells you something.

It could be that the board just has no idea of how it would play out having Wayne in that role. And that’s the possible risk of not attracting an elite coach in than context.

Which elite coach is on the market at the moment?

If we hadn't had suffered injuries this year to key players in Gillett (best second rower in the game) and Bird (say what you want about him, he is a competitor in the Jurbo mould when he's on the field) we'd 100% be in the top four this year. I know injuries are part and parcel of the game, but we've had rotten luck with them this season.

As good as those two blokes may be, I seriously doubt they would be the difference between where we are now and top 4. The good sides consistently win the games they are supposed to win, which is the complete opposite of what we do.

In terms of injuries, I don't think we have had blokes dropping like flies or had particularly rotten luck. We lost Gillett early and it was clear he would take time to recover, Bird was never fully fit if you ask me. The other side of the coin is that we have seen the likes of Fifita, Staggs and Su'a emerge in their absence - my point being that they weren't exactly positions we didn't have cover in (such as the spine). Take a look at the Panthers or Sharks injury lists during this season, arguably they could be making the same case about the importance of blokes they have been without (Campbell-Gillard, Mansour, Edwards, Graham and Dugan come to mind but there are others).

I would also argue that origin was quite friendly to us compared to previous seasons. Given the amount of quality young blokes we have coming through I would suggest we probably will not be so fortunate in coming years.

Last edited:
Sign whoever can convince Smith to be assistant coach.

**** WB off and get a modern day coach. The NRL has evolved but Bennett hasn’t.

He can't be that far behind the times, he has done pretty well since he came back. Let's face it, there just isn't anyone around who will come here better.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.