MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters

Jedhead

NRL Player
Suppose that's what you get with so much youth coming through. To think if Hass and Su'a had been able to stick around plus The stabilising effect of Gillett we could have been looking like real contenders this year. I'm not completely writing this year off, where there is life there is hope as they say, but I'm already getting excited about our prospects next year. Hopefully Bird is fully mended and fully fit by then too. Jings Lodge with a second full pre-season will take some stopping.

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Geez now I'm concerned.

Panthers want to win a premiership and they'll get whoever it takes.

They have the squad. They just need some self confidence and belief.

Bennett can deliver that in spades.

Come on Broncos management... Stop doing a Parramatta impersonation, which you are succeeding spectacularly at, and re-sign him for another two years.

Stu_9

NRL Player
If we miss the top eight this year, Wayne can search for a new job.
I think Wayne can start searching now.
If last week didn't back up what the board were already thinking, I look forward to tomorrow night.....

holdzy89

NRL Captain
I think Wayne can start searching now.
If last week didn't back up what the board were already thinking, I look forward to tomorrow night.....
That's the spirit. I for one hope we slaughter the Cows and make a good run into the finals - but if we do fade out the next few weeks and miss the eight (I can't believe that's even a reality) - then Wayne will lose my support.

theshed

NRL Captain
lol Wayne has just successfully blooded a previously unseen amount of talent in one season and managed to re-sign almost all of them. With only Oates and TPJ left to put pen to paper, and the latter already verbally agreeing more than once.

We have been plagued with injury, and are in a rebuilding phase and yet we are still in contention (although unlikely) of a top 4 spot deep into the season.

Our team next year is extremely stacked and only has a halves pairing headache to iron out.

Wayne has also shown a willingness to try new things, give young guys an opportunity to prove themselves, and drop underperforming established players if there is a better option.

I don’t know what else it is people want Bennett to do?

broncos4life

International Rep
Brisbane
lol Wayne has just successfully blooded a previously unseen amount of talent in one season and managed to re-sign almost all of them. With only Oates and TPJ left to put pen to paper, and the latter already verbally agreeing more than once.

We have been plagued with injury, and are in a rebuilding phase and yet we are still in contention (although unlikely) of a top 4 spot deep into the season.

Our team next year is extremely stacked and only has a halves pairing headache to iron out.

Wayne has also shown a willingness to try new things, give young guys an opportunity to prove themselves, and drop underperforming established players if there is a better option.

Not be Bennett, that is about all he could do for some people.

winslow_wong

State of Origin Captain
bris

Without an actual half back, leaders on field and more punch out of dummyhalf, we will continue to struggle regardless of how stacked we are with young talent.

Stu_9

NRL Player
A lack of captain and halfback really does, and will have an impact on the team - especially in those big games where mentally we will be challenged.
We have the forwards to dominate, but whats the point if the halves cannot consistently produce something?
Lewis last week ran a riot against us. Imagine what the Storm/Roosters or Souffs halves would have done to us last week..
I would love to know the current $ the dogs halves are on, and compare that to our halves not to mention how inexperienced and young Lewis is..

holdzy89

NRL Captain

You neglected to mention we are a serious chance of missing the top eight. It looks as if we will be lucky to scrape by in eighth position. We will likely have to rely on the Tigers losing most of their last remaining games, and us winning them.

Yes we have a promising future, but no guarantees that it will come next year. You can go on all you like about the team itself, but how the team is used is a serious issue. This is where Wayne is lacking, and has been for a few years now.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

Lets be honest. Given the amount of teams that were chasing those players signatures, Wayne can't take an ounce of anything for "finding" them. Anyone could watch those players play and think they were probably going to be alright.

Don't get me wrong, I love Wayne, but fucked if he deserves credit for finding anyone. That's why he has scouts. Cyril handed him players for years.

theshed

NRL Captain
Lets be honest. Given the amount of teams that were chasing those players signatures, Wayne can't take an ounce of anything for "finding" them. Anyone could watch those players play and think they were probably going to be alright.

Don't get me wrong, I love Wayne, but fucked if he deserves credit for finding anyone. That's why he has scouts. Cyril handed him players for years.

That post got 3 replies and I was trying to decide which one to respond to.

This was by far the stupidest, so well done mate. I never said he found them. You even put find in quotes but I didn’t mention the word once in my post. He brought them into first grade and has done a great job of it, and surely he gets some credit for all of them re-signing. Especially when a few of them have mentioned his influence as the reason they’re at our club in the first place.

Last edited:

theshed

NRL Captain
Without an actual half back, leaders on field and more punch out of dummyhalf, we will continue to struggle regardless of how stacked we are with young talent.
Don’t get me wrong. I do agree.

But if we have Gillett back that helps leadership, and if we have a decent half now Nikonis coming off the bench adding punch.

Ideally we get a player next year who is a half and an experienced leader. Then our team is premiership quality. Unfortunately I don’t see that happening though, and I don’t know if a different coach could fix that either.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
That post got 3 replies and I was trying to decide which one to respond to.

This was by far the stupidest, so well done mate. I never said he found them. You even put find in quotes but I didn’t mention the word once in my post. He brought them into first grade and has done a great job of it, and surely he gets some credit for all of them re-signing. Especially when a few of them have mentioned his influence as the reason they’re at our club in the first place.
Any coach with those players and half a brain would play them.

What is stupid is giving Bennett credit he doesn't deserve. Far more could be said to paint him in a good light.

theshed

NRL Captain
Any coach with those players and half a brain would play them.

What is stupid is giving Bennett credit he doesn't deserve. Far more could be said to paint him in a good light.

I’m sorry, man. This is so dumb. Any coach would play them, yet Lodge, TPJ, Isaako, Bird (though not the best example of smart coaching) all came here with Wayne.

I really can’t agree with you here. How many coaches would let their starting props leave and put full faith i two untested players?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DollyHurst

Members online

No members online now.

Twitter