MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
A087ee82ae77dbd6bfc5c0797203217e

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett says he’s still searching for Brisbane’s best combinations

August 7, 2018

BRONCOS coach Wayne Bennett says he is still searching for his best combinations after shifting captain Darius Boyd back to fullback for Thursday’s derby against the Cowboys.

Bennett has made a number of positional switches for the crucial clash in Townsville which Brisbane must win to have any chance of finishing in the top four.

After a three-game stint at left centre, Boyd will return to fullback, moving rookie-of-the-year contender Jamayne Isaako to the right wing where he will replace the axed Jordan Kahu.

Teenager Gehamat Shibasaki will make his NRL debut at left centre against North Queensland as Bennett searches for a way to spark the Broncos after last week’s dreadful loss to Canterbury.

The electric Isaako did little wrong in his brief stint at fullback and is Brisbane’s long-term No. 1.

But Bennett said he was moving Boyd into his favoured fullback role in a bid to find Brisbane’s most potent set up ahead of the finals.

“He’s done a good job there for us, Jamayne,” he said.

“I’m going to put Darius back there. I never said it was permanent or temporary either.

“We’ve got four weeks to go in the season and we’ll see if we can nail a few things we need to nail.”

After playing one NRL game last year, Isaako has been a revelation for the Broncos in 2018.

The 22-year-old has committed to the Broncos until 2022 and will replace Boyd in the No. 1 jersey permanently in the not too distant future.

He is somewhat unlucky to be moved from fullback but Isaako said he was not disappointed in Bennett’s decision.

“There are a couple of key positional changes this week,” he said.

“Wayne is making a few changes for a game we want to win this week. With Darius having a lot more experience he could be chucking him back at fullback.

“It’s been good to get back there and a feel for playing fullback at the top level.

“I’ve learnt off Darbs and him going back there gives me an opportunity to go back to the wing and watch him do his thing in big games like this.”

The seventh-placed Broncos are facing an uphill battle to move into the top four before the regular season finishes in four weeks.

Their task has been made even more difficult with lock Josh McGuire suspended for hair-pulling and Tevita Pangai Jr (groin) in major doubt for the game.

Bennett named Pangai Jr in his reserves ahead of a fitness test at training on Wednesday morning with young gun David Fifita likely to start in the back row.

Source: Courier Mail

Better find some answers soon.. Seems very indecisive from Bennett

WAYNE Bennett says he is not a spent force and will consider any offer from an NRL rival, including the Panthers, if he is not wanted by the Broncos.
Bennett’s stance comes as Titans millionaire co-owner Darryl Kelly said he is open to having discussions with the seven-time premiership coach about a possible role at the Gold Coast in 2020.
CONTENDERS: Penrith have had five applications
2f8174d636a6ca29d3fdac7177803993

Bennett will go elsewhere if he’s not wanted. (AAP Image/Dave Hunt)
Former Broncos mentor Anthony Griffin’s sacking at the Panthers on Mondayhas sent the coaching merry-go-round spinning with Bennett, off-contract next year, being linked to the Penrith post.
Bennett and Panthers supremo Phil Gould were on the judging panel that chose the code’s five new Immortals last week, fuelling speculation the pair had the platform to discuss linking formally at Penrith.
The Courier-Mail can reveal Bennett is prepared to move to Sydney to coach the Panthers in 2020.
He is also open to offers on a consultancy or director-of-football role at the Titans, believing he can inject his title-winning know-how to turn the Gold Coast into an NRL powerhouse.
4db2f8dc4c74c5d2df78468ce7fdd44f

Bennett could replace Griffin at Penrith, as he did at Brisbane. (AAP Image/Dave Hunt)
But either scenario is ultimately contingent upon his future at the Broncos, who will consign Bennett to free-agent status if they refuse his request for one final 12-month term at Red Hill.
The Courier-Mail understands Bennett has been informally sounded out by the Panthers, but the 68-year-old said he has received no formal approach.
However, Bennett said if the Broncos board didn’t want him beyond 2019, he was open to any offer.
LISTEN! Buzz Rothfield grills Phil Gould on the reasons behind the sacking of Penrith coach Anthony Griffin.
You can download the League Central podcast on iTunes.

“I will say this — my first position is I want to continue as coach of the Broncos,” Bennett said.
“That’s my preferred position. But if that (coaching the Broncos) is not the case, I still have a desire to coach. I’m not done yet. I will go where my career takes me.”
Asked if he could work with another powerful personality in Gould, Bennett said: “I can’t answer that one.
“I don’t want to say anymore than that. The Broncos board has asked me not to comment until the season is over.”
88a3bca56cdeda2a5f806bc739bcb172

Penrith boss Gould didn’t say no … (AAP Image/Joel Carrett)
Bennett and Gould were influential figures last week in the judging-panel bombshell that saw three pre-war players honoured as Immortals.
Bennett lauded Gould’s contribution, rating the Immortals discussion one of the most positive experiences of his career.
Four days later, Gould made the decision to sack Griffin. Adding to the intrigue, Gould refused to emphatically rule out Bennett as a possible contender for the Panthers job.
“That would be fun wouldn’t it,” Gould said when asked about the prospect of working with Bennett.
“Crikey. Could he work with me?
“I don’t know what Wayne is doing with the Broncos at the moment. It’s got nothing to do with us.”
755d1dd94085c25b6b3ebe422941ce8d

5ae6db3be24d30d7873b56e74e2787a4

Panthers received 12 coaching job applications overnight: Gould
Gold Coast co-owner Kelly said he was happy with coach Garth Brennan, who is off-contract next year, but is willing to talk to Bennett if he was serious about helping the Titans.
“I’m not sure if we could afford Wayne but if he is interested, it’s worth having the conversation,” Kelly said.
“Wayne is contracted next year, but beyond that, I would certainly consider having discussions with Wayne.
“If we created an additional role, we wouldn’t do it unless there was buy-in from everyone at the club.”
They’re a special breed, some of these journos. They openly laughed at Bennett and virtually called him a liar when he said he had nibbles from other clubs a month or so ago. Now they’re quite happy to peddle the Bennett to Panthers/Titans line to drum up a story.

They’re a special breed, some of these journos. They openly laughed at Bennett and virtually called him a liar when he said he had nibbles from other clubs a month or so ago. Now they’re quite happy to peddle the Bennett to Panthers/Titans line to drum up a story.

I'm just surprised they managed to get an article that long out of the comment: I want to stay at the Broncos, but if they don't want me, i'll consider offers from rival teams"

Hope a miracle happens tommorow and TPJ passes fitness test and plays thursday. Most unlikely

Last edited:
if he is struggling with injury, better for us if he sits out and rests the injury

Yeah i know. I hate cowboys and im gonna get given alot of shit if we loose haha

Suppose that's what you get with so much youth coming through. To think if Hass and Su'a had been able to stick around plus The stabilising effect of Gillett we could have been looking like real contenders this year. I'm not completely writing this year off, where there is life there is hope as they say, but I'm already getting excited about our prospects next year. Hopefully Bird is fully mended and fully fit by then too. Jings Lodge with a second full pre-season will take some stopping.

I'd like to keep Wayne, but a small part of me is extremely intrigued to see how he'd go working with Gould.

Geez now I'm concerned.

Panthers want to win a premiership and they'll get whoever it takes.

They have the squad. They just need some self confidence and belief.

Bennett can deliver that in spades.

Come on Broncos management... Stop doing a Parramatta impersonation, which you are succeeding spectacularly at, and re-sign him for another two years.

Shouldn't have promised that 7 spot to a useless 7 aye Wayne.

If we miss the top eight this year, Wayne can search for a new job.

If we miss the top eight this year, Wayne can search for a new job.
I think Wayne can start searching now.
If last week didn't back up what the board were already thinking, I look forward to tomorrow night.....

I think Wayne can start searching now.
If last week didn't back up what the board were already thinking, I look forward to tomorrow night.....

That's the spirit. I for one hope we slaughter the Cows and make a good run into the finals - but if we do fade out the next few weeks and miss the eight (I can't believe that's even a reality) - then Wayne will lose my support.

lol Wayne has just successfully blooded a previously unseen amount of talent in one season and managed to re-sign almost all of them. With only Oates and TPJ left to put pen to paper, and the latter already verbally agreeing more than once.

We have been plagued with injury, and are in a rebuilding phase and yet we are still in contention (although unlikely) of a top 4 spot deep into the season.

Our team next year is extremely stacked and only has a halves pairing headache to iron out.

Wayne has also shown a willingness to try new things, give young guys an opportunity to prove themselves, and drop underperforming established players if there is a better option.

I don’t know what else it is people want Bennett to do?

lol Wayne has just successfully blooded a previously unseen amount of talent in one season and managed to re-sign almost all of them. With only Oates and TPJ left to put pen to paper, and the latter already verbally agreeing more than once.

We have been plagued with injury, and are in a rebuilding phase and yet we are still in contention (although unlikely) of a top 4 spot deep into the season.

Our team next year is extremely stacked and only has a halves pairing headache to iron out.

Wayne has also shown a willingness to try new things, give young guys an opportunity to prove themselves, and drop underperforming established players if there is a better option.

I don’t know what else it is people want Bennett to do?

Not be Bennett, that is about all he could do for some people.

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fitzy
  • Harry Sack
  • Cavalo
  • Stix
  • Jazza
  • Wolfie
  • Galah
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • Culhwch
  • bazza
  • Broncorob
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Justwin
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Fozz
  • heartly87
  • Behind enemy lines
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.