MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Why haven't the Broncos honchos contacted any of the plethora of league 'experts' on here to take over as coach seeing as heaps seem to believe they have the answers? Wayne may not be perfect but I can assure he knows more about running a footy team then all the contributors on here combined.

Your on a fan forum in case you didn’t know. Most of us can’t sit back and watch another season go to shit with out asking some questions of the team and leadership.

If he knew a lot about running a footy team then why did he leave us with no recognised half back, sign bird with no clue on how he was going to use him, persisted way too long with Thaiday and do I have to comment about Boyd? .... just to name a few.

And yes I was one of the Bennett supporters on here but 70 points against Last two shit teams was the last straw.

I’d be interested to hear your breaking point with Bennett. Wooden spoon?

Last edited:
Your on a fan forum in case you didn’t know. Most of us can’t sit back and watch another season go to shit with out asking some questions of the team and leadership.

If he knew a lot about running a footy team then why did he leave us with no recognised half back, sign bird with no clue on how he was going to use him, persisted way too long with Thaiday and do I have to comment about Boyd? .... just to name a few.

And yes I was one of the Bennett supporters on here but 70 points against Last two shit teams was the last straw.

I’d be interested to hear your breaking point with Bennett. Wooden spoon?
Mate I asked a question. You replied, just not to the question I asked. I'll ask another question "Which recognized halfback could we have signed but didn't ?" Dammit I'll ask another " Which non playing coach in the history of footy has defended poorly?" While I'm at it I'll ask another "Drop Boyd & Thaiday, replace them with youngsters maybe? Please tell me how may teams have won premierships with such a high ratio of young, inexperienced players?"

Maybe because Melbourne bluffed us a beauty and we paid overs for milf?..appreciate we didn’t think the dragons would pay overs for hunt but we let Taylor go and thought he’d roll on back... come on Wayne has to take some responsibility notwithstanding some uncontrollables.

Defending is attitude (particularly goal line) which is a straight line to coaching IMO. It looks like we’ve stopped playing for him.

Your loyalty to Old timers is admirable but i think a rookie would have done better than Thaidays 34 running metres on Thursday and think Boyd sets a rotten example to young players with the nonsense in the ruck. If he was Kahu, he’d have been dropped 5 times this year . Yeah I know he’s the captain...the worst in our 30 year history

Maybe because Melbourne bluffed us a beauty and we paid overs for milf?..appreciate we didn’t think the dragons would pay overs for hunt but we let Taylor go and thought he’d roll on back... come on Wayne has to take some responsibility notwithstanding some uncontrollables.

Defending is attitude (particularly goal line) which is a straight line to coaching IMO. It looks like we’ve stopped playing for him.

Your loyalty to Old timers is admirable but i think a rookie would have done better than Thaidays 34 running metres on Thursday and think Boyd sets a rotten example to young players with the nonsense in the ruck. If he was Kahu, he’d have been dropped 5 times this year . Yeah I know he’s the captain...the worst in our 30 year history
We could sit & argue all day but none of us know what really goes on behind the scenes & unless the Broncos have a better coach then Wayne lined up it would be pretty stupid to sack him. Also if you just play for the coach you are doomed. Things go much better when you play for yourself & your team mates. Ask any bloke who has seen military action.

We could sit & argue all day but none of us know what really goes on behind the scenes & unless the Broncos have a better coach then Wayne lined up it would be pretty stupid to sack him. Also if you just play for the coach you are doomed. Things go much better when you play for yourself & your team mates. Ask any bloke who has seen military action.

All good mate and not saying I’m right at all, it’s whats good about this place, different opinions.

Mate I asked a question. You replied, just not to the question I asked. I'll ask another question "Which recognized halfback could we have signed but didn't ?" Dammit I'll ask another " Which non playing coach in the history of footy has defended poorly?" While I'm at it I'll ask another "Drop Boyd & Thaiday, replace them with youngsters maybe? Please tell me how may teams have won premierships with such a high ratio of young, inexperienced players?"

This is a fan forum as you can notice. I presume you've joined this forum so as to share your thoughts & well wishes for the club we all love the most.

Coming to your points:

1. We didn't have recognized half yet, we are where we are on the ladder - great achievement by the boys for this & none of us are debating on this.

2. Which non playing coach in the history of footy has defended poorly - don't know what you are referring to.

3. Drop Boyd & Thaiday, replace them with youngsters maybe? Please tell me how may teams have won premierships with such a high ratio of young, inexperienced players - yup, we would have done far better job without these 2 in side. Tell me 1 game where they have contributed? Given an opportunity, any of our youngsters would've done much better job than these 2.

We all know that given the constant injury toll from start of the season, the media constant crucifying of Broncos, people with self inflicted egos going against each-other in the hierarchy & our inability to win against bottom 8 teams are all contributing to everyone of us fans getting frustrated to the core mate.

It's not joy to watch them loose to bottom teams 2 weeks in a row. When the top-4 spot is up for grabs, it's not a no brainier for anyone to put up a show like they dished out for 2 weeks in a row. It's un-Bronco like & it's totally unacceptable. Darius Boyd do not deserve to be the captain & Thaiday do not deserve to be in the team. It's a pity that they both are still part of the team purely based on their past glories. Noting else.

Wayne can only coach the team but it's the team who performs on game day. If they aren't playing on game day, it's up to the captain to take the responsibility and lead them from the front. Neither Darius being the captain nor Thaiday being most senior player are doing none of it. To me, Thaiday is playing for his media career post footy & Darius is playing for his $750K each year for the next 3 years.

People externally & internally are deliberately trying hard to bring the brand of Broncos down either with their self inflicted egos or by their bullshit performance on the field. No one is bigger then the club.

I still do not understand why's it so difficult to give Wayne an extra year than the one he already have until end of 2019?

As for your comment on 'Wayne may not be perfect but I can assure he knows more about running a footy team then all the contributors on here combined' - settle down & get a breath mate! I for one, want Wayne to coach Broncos especially, the next 2 years. Had you been reading my posts from the start of season, you wouldn't have rushed with your opinion.

We all are in this forum for a common goal - Broncos winning week in week out & The Premiership for sure.

Last edited:
There are so many head a scratching decisions though this year that are hard to understand:

1. Why was Boyd persisted with so long at fullback and why is he back there again suddenly?
2. Isaako offers nothing in attack at fb but he was pretty good defensively which is one half more than Boyd offers, why was he moved?
3. Why is Thaiday still starting when he is a benchie at best these days (he really should have retired last year)?
4. Why on earth wasn’t Staggs put in the 30 man squad??
5. Why did anything think signing Bird ON BIG MONEY was a good idea?
6. Why was Haas massively upgraded but Oates seemingly let go?
7. Why hasn’t Carrigan got a game?
8. Why did Shibasaki get a game but Pearson can’t?
9. Why is Macca playing 80?
10. Why is Staggs not getting game time at all?

And otherh questions.
Gonna give these a crack though I don’t think I know much more than any other ex footy players on here.
1. Why was Boyd persisted with so long at fullback and why is he back there again suddenly?
He’s a good organiser of the defensive line and is statistically one of the best defensive fullbacks in the nrl. I like what I saw when Isaako went to fb and Boyd to centre and prefer that setup but when kahu struggled WB decided to go with Shibasaki over Pearson. This meant the re-shuffle of Isaako and boyd. I think Pearson may have been a better option but maybe he doesn’t like playing on the right?
2. Isaako offers nothing in attack at fb but he was pretty good defensively which is one half more than Boyd offers, why was he moved?
See my answer to option 1. Isaako will offer a lot in attack but he has his priorities right in concentrating on defence first. Think his ankle still giving him some confidence issues for his step too.
3. Why is Thaiday still starting when he is a benchie at best these days (he really should have retired last year)?
Thaiday starts as the young forwards all say his leadership on the field is motivating. The antics for the media aren’t an indication of his leadership tactics on the field. All the young forwards respect him and Attitutde starting a game is super important.
This would’ve been finalised before he was recognised as a good prospect (consider all the injuries we have). Question here should be why is this stupid rule in place.
He will be good. He’s injured. Ask this question again next year if the answer is still now clear.
Oates not let go. Broncos never pay overs. Especially for wingers. Haas is a good signing and his contract is setup that he doesn’t get showered with money in his early years of nrl.
Cause he’s not ready. He will be ready next year and of all things to question, WB is excellent with blooding youngens at the right time.
This one I agree was prob not the best call. I would’ve though Isaako should stay at fullback, Boyd at centre and Pearson to wing. But perhaps it’s to do with side of the field.
I’d say that’s Macca’s call but I agree he shouldn’t be. We always play better when subbing hooker with an attacker like knik.
Centres aren’t usually part of interchange during games. He’s their for cover. Prob because of Roberts Achilles.

11. Why is McGuire always playing at lock when Joffa can do a far better job?
12. Why can't Dargan/Scarlet or someone else get a crack?
13. Why's it so freaking hard to turn up against teams that are low in the ladder?
14. Why can't everyone get their freaking head around do what's best for the club rather than fighting their self fucking egos?

I am sure we can build the list. Any more contributors?
Will try these too.
He’s the Aust and QLD lock. But I agree Joffa or TPJ are better locks. Obviously a lot of coaches are fans of moose at lock. I’d prefer to see him prop.
It’s a bad idea to change the spine this late in a season unless injury forces your hand. Plus as much as you don’t like KNik at half, he’s better than all the ISC halves and has the nrl experience required this deep in the season.
13. Why's it so freaking hard to turn up against teams that are low in the ladder?
Attitude problem. Poor leadership (poor captain choice) and inexperienced backline. Forwards are turning up most weeks but backline is pretty flat.
14. Why can't everyone get their freaking head around do what's best for the club rather than fighting their self fucking egos?
Don’t think this is a valid question. I think you’re buying into the media too much.

Gonna give these a crack though I don’t think I know much more than any other ex footy players on here.
He’s a good organiser of the defensive line and is statistically one of the best defensive fullbacks in the nrl. I like what I saw when Isaako went to fb and Boyd to centre and prefer that setup but when kahu struggled WB decided to go with Shibasaki over Pearson. This meant the re-shuffle of Isaako and boyd. I think Pearson may have been a better option but maybe he doesn’t like playing on the right?
See my answer to option 1. Isaako will offer a lot in attack but he has his priorities right in concentrating on defence first. Think his ankle still giving him some confidence issues for his step too.
Thaiday starts as the young forwards all say his leadership on the field is motivating. The antics for the media aren’t an indication of his leadership tactics on the field. All the young forwards respect him and Attitutde starting a game is super important.
This would’ve been finalised before he was recognised as a good prospect (consider all the injuries we have). Question here should be why is this stupid rule in place.
He will be good. He’s injured. Ask this question again next year if the answer is still now clear.
Oates not let go. Broncos never pay overs. Especially for wingers. Haas is a good signing and his contract is setup that he doesn’t get showered with money in his early years of nrl.
Cause he’s not ready. He will be ready next year and of all things to question, WB is excellent with blooding youngens at the right time.
This one I agree was prob not the best call. I would’ve though Isaako should stay at fullback, Boyd at centre and Pearson to wing. But perhaps it’s to do with side of the field.
I’d say that’s Macca’s call but I agree he shouldn’t be. We always play better when subbing hooker with an attacker like knik.
Centres aren’t usually part of interchange during games. He’s their for cover. Prob because of Roberts Achilles.

Thanks for the reply, very nicely done indeed. While I don’t agree with some of those answers entirely, I don’t really disagree either with a lot, certainly valid opinions one and all.

The one thing that I just cannot understand and no one else understandably seems to know either is why Staggs wasn’t put in the 30.

By the time he had debuted, the 30 hadn’t been finalised, Opacic, Bird and Roberts were all busted, Gillett was gone for the season, plus all the other second row injuries and here was this kid that had already impressed and could play these positions.

Yes the NRL rule is stupid but that doesn’t mask the fact that someone made an absolute stuff up at the Broncs with this decision on Staggs.

Man, the dude’s a freaking Harvard graduate!
That’s an impressive cv he has there. I’d take him in a heart beat. The thing I like is his quest for knowledge, like he’s ready to try new things but never at the expense of the team.

I am sure we can build the list. Any more contributors?
The weird thing is, I’ve heard McGuire would rather be playing prop.

3. Drop Boyd & Thaiday, replace them with youngsters maybe? Please tell me how may teams have won premierships with such a high ratio of young, inexperienced players - yup, we would have done far better job without these 2 in side. Tell me 1 game where they have contributed? Given an opportunity, any of our youngsters would've done much better job than these 2.

On this point, Wayne himself said in a presser, can't remember which, that this was a 'rebuilding' year, which is basically a concession that we aren't going to win the comp. I agree with his observation. So if he has written this season off - barring a cows like fluke in the finals which is very possible if we play the Drags wk1 and Penrith wk2 and Gillett and Bird are back for the prelim - then we should give guys like Carrigan game time. We've already unearthed some serious quality players in Su'a, Fifita, and TPJ (as a second row) by chucking them in early out of necessity. Isaako and Staggs have been excellent for us as well. Mago played well against the Cowboys, Joffa has also gone from strength to strength.

EDIT: Forgot Lodge and Haas. Imagine all these blokes next year with a proper half back and more experience under their belts, we're going to have the best pack in the comp without peer. Just need to add a bit of BJJ coaching if the NRL remain spineless when it comes to the ruck.

Last edited:
There are so many head a scratching decisions though this year that are hard to understand:

And otherh questions.

11. Why is Gamora?

On this point, Wayne himself said in a presser, can't remember which, that this was a 'rebuilding' year, which is basically a concession that we aren't going to win the comp. I agree with his observation. So if he has written this season off - barring a cows like fluke in the finals which is very possible if we play the Drags wk1 and Penrith wk2 and Gillett and Bird are back for the prelim - then we should give guys like Carrigan game time. We've already unearthed some serious quality players in Su'a, Fifita, and TPJ (as a second row) by chucking them in early out of necessity. Isaako and Staggs have been excellent for us as well. Mago played well against the Cowboys, Joffa has also gone from strength to strength.

EDIT: Forgot Lodge and Haas. Imagine all these blokes next year with a proper half back and more experience under their belts, we're going to have the best pack in the comp without peer. Just need to add a bit of BJJ coaching if the NRL remain spineless when it comes to the ruck.

I'd say it's highly unlikely rather than highly possible.

He's a very impressive man.

The Souths Sydney Rabbitohs are playing some of the best football of the NRL era.

Honestly, I can't see him coming to Brisbane but it's fun to think about.

Here's another good article: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/di...at-can-save-rugby-league-20170907-gyd3rr.html

He's interested in politics, he can see that Rugby League can have more reach than what it currently has. He's traveled the world and hasn't been part of the NRL long enough to become part of the echo chamber.

Would love to see him at the club.

Active Now

• Midean
  • Xzei
  • GCBRONCO
  • Harry Sack
  • KateBroncos1812
  • broncsgoat
  • Jazza
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Fitzy
  • ezpz
  • Brocko
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
  • BruiserMk1
  • Battler
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Allo
  • Galah
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.