Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Mccullougha 180420708 sd

Wayne Bennett welcomes NRL crackdown

July 19, 2018

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett has welcomed a looming crackdown in the play-the-ball area but says the game still needs to do more to sort out when a tackle is completed.

Bennett said he had received an email from NRL referees boss Bernard Sutton alerting all clubs that from round 19 slowing the play-the-ball down would be officiated more stringently. But the coach hasn't relayed that message to his players because he says for them nothing will need to change.

Sutton has told clubs that "flopping, leg pulls, spinning, crowding, and climbing over a player" will be a focus.

"I'd love to see that. We don't have a problem here," Bennett said.

"We've got the quickest play-the-balls against us in the league so we are not going to have to change. In fact, I got the email yesterday and I didn't even bother telling the players about it because it is not an issue for us."

Bennett is a purist when it comes to the play-the-ball and the Broncos, while practising defensive drills at training, are known for letting the game flow in that area.

The Broncos coach said the game could make a real difference if there was more definition around when a tackle was completed, and then what happened afterwards wouldn't be such an issue.

"Once they have determined the tackle is completed there shouldn't be a grey area," he said.

"They have won the battle with the 10 metres. I think they have done a good job there. Teams might still be leaving a little bit early but generally the 10 metres has been a lot better than it has."

Bennett was sceptical about how much of a crackdown there would be on the play-the-ball with seven rounds remaining, but said he hoped it would be looked at next year in more detail with the "completion of a tackle" set in stone.

"When the tackle is completed it should be, bang, everybody off...no other way off...don't have another play back at him," he said.

"That is the crucial moment in the game for me...when is the tackle completed. I know what the guidelines are but I'm not sure what they police."

Source: NRL.com

"We've got the quickest play-the-balls against us in the league so we are not going to have to change. In fact, I got the email yesterday and I didn't even bother telling the players about it because it is not an issue for us."
$10 says we're still the most penalised team as part of this crackdown. Another $10 says Storm are the least penalised.

Like the idea but agree what is aim at this time of the year? Love to see quick and consistent play the balls with no tolerance for wrestling.

Most damning is why Bennett admits we are WORST in comp at (what is most part legal tactic of) slowing the play the ball and seems to be proud of it! Don’t mind the high road but that is self righteous bulls***. Might as well admit can’t win a premiership if can’t control defence. Don’t need to chicken wing everyone storm style but can at least put them on their back or turn them around a bit!

Now if they could address the tackled player playing the ball where they were tackled, that'd be great. Looking at you, Burgii.

Like the idea but agree what is aim at this time of the year? Love to see quick and consistent play the balls with no tolerance for wrestling.

Most damning is why Bennett admits we are WORST in comp at (what is most part legal tactic of) slowing the play the ball and seems to be proud of it! Don’t mind the high road but that is self righteous bulls***. Might as well admit can’t win a premiership if can’t control defence. Don’t need to chicken wing everyone storm style but can at least put them on their back or turn them around a bit!

Maybe you read it wrong? Maybe I did?

Bennett is saying it's not an issue for the team because they play correctly, and get off the player. Not that they lay there and he's proud they flaunt the rules like other teams.

Maybe you read it wrong? Maybe I did?

Bennett is saying it's not an issue for the team because they play correctly, and get off the player. Not that they lay there and he's proud they flaunt the rules like other teams.

N6 is saying that it's obviously a grey area that every other team is exploiting, so why the **** haven't we been pushing the same envelope? We've been allowing the opposition an advantage that we too could be utilising, but haven't, because it's "wrong".

I do love it and hope it sticks. I don't know if it's still the same, but it was reported a few years ago that when the ref calls "held", the defensive team are allowed one more movement. Usually to throw the player to the ground, give them a shove to allow the markers to get back square, etc. It was bullshit at the time and if it's still the norm, it's bullshit now.

The moment "held" is called, the defence must make every effort to get off immediately. No more shoves, trips, everyone falling in a heap and then peeling off one-by-one, or the tackler lying on the runner, like a beached whale, looking at the ref to see how long he can stay there. If the tackled player isn't allowed to stand up immediately and play it unencumbered, penalty.

All this will be is the refs having another opportunity to blow Square up, leg up and ‘game managing’ penalties to help the losing side more ‘legitimately’.

Agree in principle to the clamping down but unfortunately it will add to the referees list of inconsistencies that will lead to controversial calls. No doubt the Storm already have a work around to make it appear their players are being held down when the opposite is happening.

Last edited:
N6 is saying that it's obviously a grey area that every other team is exploiting, so why the **** haven't we been pushing the same envelope? We've been allowing the opposition an advantage that we too could be utilising, but haven't, because it's "wrong".

I'd much rather watch my team play the game properly. You can hardly take advantage of something then complain about it.

I'd much rather watch my team play the game properly. You can hardly take advantage of something then complain about it.

Oh I agree. Just translating for you.

I don't think this is the case. The fact is whenever we try this 'legal' tactic we get pinged because it all plays into the narrative that the media has spun about us not being penalized and the refs buy it when the opposite is true.

What I believe Wayne is doing is being very public about the fact that we have always adhered to this standard so putting the refs on notice not to try any bullshit. We get pinged quicker for lying in the ruck than any other team, even though we don't lie in it. I think he is trying to say that if you are shortening the length allowed you better not be shortening our current method, because we can't get any shorter.

I don't think this is the case. The fact is whenever we try this 'legal' tactic we get pinged because it all plays into the narrative that the media has spun about us not being penalized and the refs buy it when the opposite is true.

What I believe Wayne is doing is being very public about the fact that we have always adhered to this standard so putting the refs on notice not to try any bullshit. We get pinged quicker for lying in the ruck than any other team, even though we don't lie in it. I think he is trying to say that if you are shortening the length allowed you better not be shortening our current method, because we can't get any shorter.
I've always thought this as well. I always assumed it was because I was one eyed and biased.

Now if they could address the tackled player playing the ball where they were tackled, that'd be great. Looking at you, Burgii.
The storm backs are some of the worst (surprise surprise) Billy will always move off the mark to take the markers out. Addo Carr gets pulled up constantly for doing it.

The issue is the ref just calls time off and tells them to go back. The only deterrent to not doing it is a slower play the ball whereas the benefits are massive.

They also know the ref won't pull them up every time (without incurring the wrath of the media) therefore they'll get away with it more often than not and when they don't they won't be penalised.

It is one of my most hated dirty tactics and should be clamped down on by penalties for repeat offenders

The Burgii have gone back to "falling over" when playing the ball, with their outstretched arms taking out both markers. Coincidentally right when Cook has indicated that he's taking a scoot. It's 2014 again.

Remember the last time they said they'd do this? Everyone said it'd suit the Broncos smaller more mobile forwards down to the ground and it was quickly shelved.

Unread

Active Now

• mrslong
  • Confidor
  • winslow_wong
  • whykickamoocow
  • Sproj
  • MrTickyMcG
  • bb_gun
  • broncos4life
  • Dash
  • Hoof Hearted
  • broncsgoat
  • bert_lifts
  • heartly87
  • Financeguy
  • azza.79
  • davidp
  • Johnny92
  • Redfern_1980
  • Justwin
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.