We need to discuss Brisbane 2.....

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Now look, of course, as I am a Broncos diehard and will be 'till the day I die, I'm not happy about this. I am really not. An already dire situation of competing with famished southern clubs for decent juniors will only be further exasperated by the presence of a startup brand in the Western suburbs, and lets not fool ourselves, that's where the team will be. The Logan/Ipswich corridor is ripe for the taking and Northside belongs to us and the Dolphins. Having said that, it is implicit on all of us that we set aside our loyalties for the sake of the greater good, and for the health of the game, Brisbane 2 is paramount.

So, apart from the Academy we're already building in.....Logan, I think it was? What else can we do to make sure Brisbane 2 doesn't suffocate us even further than we already are? Should we turn our eyes north to the Central Coast? It's obvious they won't be getting a team anytime soon, so maybe we can establish a presence up there and see how many fish we can reel in before they do get one.

Their name better change before they come in, I mean seriously, Brisbane Bombers? Rubbish.

On topic though.. There's not a whole lot we can do, we can't control all of the Queensland juniors, and a 4th QLD team was always going to happen, let's just see how we go.

Imagine if a second team was around for the past couple of years, no way we become as complacent as we have been if that was the case.

We will have our shit sorted by the time a new team rolls around, and it will force us to keep it that way.

How about the Brisbane Barbas? Or maybe, the Milford Mayhem?

Think I might set up shop under the table with a healthy supply of brown paper bags and the ACME Book of Plausible Denials ....

Last edited:
I have no issue with a 2nd QLD team tbh. Whether it should be based in Brisbane, remains to be seen. That being said, I'm not really a fan of going beyond the current number of 16 teams. As it is, some teams only play each other once.

I imagine the worst prospect for us is the Brothers' bid. They have a network all across Queensland which I imagine is the biggest threat to our juniors pool.

Bring back the South Queensland Crushers, put Griffin as Coach, Henjak and Kearney as assistants, Maranta as captain and nothing to worry about.

Now look, of course, as I am a Broncos diehard and will be 'till the day I die, I'm not happy about this. I am really not. An already dire situation of competing with famished southern clubs for decent juniors will only be further exasperated by the presence of a startup brand in the Western suburbs, and lets not fool ourselves, that's where the team will be. The Logan/Ipswich corridor is ripe for the taking and Northside belongs to us and the Dolphins. Having said that, it is implicit on all of us that we set aside our loyalties for the sake of the greater good, and for the health of the game, Brisbane 2 is paramount.

So, apart from the Academy we're already building in.....Logan, I think it was? What else can we do to make sure Brisbane 2 doesn't suffocate us even further than we already are? Should we turn our eyes north to the Central Coast? It's obvious they won't be getting a team anytime soon, so maybe we can establish a presence up there and see how many fish we can reel in before they do get one.

The broncos pretty much have the central coast covered for a scholarship programme and scouts on the ground.. The only real competition in this area is from the cowboys. The club already has plenty of representation state wide and into nsw, rather than signing a hundred kids each year and putting them into a funnel and seeing what fall out the bottom they should really focus on enhanced development.

The state and the game needs another qld team, be it Brisbane/logan/Ipswich or where ever it may be it is definitely warranted.

I'm personally in favor of Perth getting the next licence and then potentially another QLD team ... but i would limit the QLD teams to 4. i don't want the NRL to do to QLD what has been done in Sydney and that is saturate the market.

I also think that we should keep the comp at 16 teams so potentially what i would do (if feasible) is

add 1 team to Perth
add 1 team to QLD
Remove 2 teams from Sydney
and possible relocate a team to the NSW central coast.

that way the comp stays at 16 teams and areas that have been crying out for a team get one.

Last edited:
On the subject of expansion in south east Queensland, given the Titans were the last team to be entered into the NRL, I believe the NRL would be better off galvanizing them rather than introducing a brand spaking new club in Queensland. Otherwise, you run the risk of saturating the Queensland market when we're still in the middle of a boom period as we're riding high off this incredible Queensland streak. Once that fades (heaven forbid) and if the Broncos are unable to fire, the market could be in serious trouble.

Right now, if the NRL is to expand, I'd much rather see a team from Perth as I feel their presence would actually expand the product.

I'm personally in favor of Perth getting the next licence and then potentially another QLD team ... but i would limit the QLD teams to 4. i don't want the NRL to do to QLD what has been done in Sydney and that is saturate the market.

I also think that we should keep the comp at 16 teams so potentially what i would do (if feasible) is

add 1 team to Perth
add 1 team to QLD
Remove 2 teams from Sydney
and possible relocate a team to the NSW central coast.

that way the comp stays at 16 teams and areas that have been crying out for a team get one.

This. I don't see them bringing in 1 team at a time, so I'd be happy for a Perth team and a QLD team of some sort. Whilst still keeping the comp to 16 that is.

It doesn't seem to be talked about a lot but I feel a 2nd NZ team should come after a Perth team. The Warriors have so many talented young players I feel they need diluting more than Queensland. Plus it'd likely mean more Kiwis in the NRL, which you could argue would be good for the international game.

It doesn't seem to be talked about a lot but I feel a 2nd NZ team should come after a Perth team. The Warriors have so many talented young players I feel they need diluting more than Queensland. Plus it'd likely mean more Kiwis in the NRL, which you could argue would be good for the international game.

totally agree, a 2nd nz team is desperately needed...

I have no issue with a 2nd QLD team tbh. Whether it should be based in Brisbane, remains to be seen. That being said, I'm not really a fan of going beyond the current number of 16 teams. As it is, some teams only play each other once.

Nah, they will definitely add 2 more teams, one from Brissy and the other in Perth. The WA time zone is perfect in airing an additional game and an extra game per week is healthy for the NRL"s bank balance. Brisbane is crying out for a second side and it certainly has the fan base to support it.

They should then split it into two divisions, each team will play their division foes twice and play every team in the other division once adding up to 25 game schedule. Top 5 from each conference play off in the finals. Perfect system.

As far as the juniors go, the Broncs have struggled in the scouting dept since old Cyril passed on. Hook has been adamant that his 2008 U20s championship side would be a force in the big time one day. This season is his chance to prove it, don't hold your breath though. When Benny and co. rejoin the club next year, things will pick up in that regard as well. Just have to endure another season of immense pain to reach the promised land once again.

Active Now

• NSW stables
  • barker
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Emanon
  • Organix
  • Old Mate
  • jd87
  • Fitzy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Big Del
  • GCBRONCO
  • Justwin
  • Harry Sack
  • Midean
  • Xzei
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Brotherdu
  • dasherhalo
  • bb_gun
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.