Anthony Milford Discussion

It really depends on who we get as a replacement, but I definitely don't think Hunt is good for this team, not as a halfback anyway. We need an actual half back with a solid kicking game, not two running five eights. Even a robot like Hodko or Soward (not suggesting him as an option, just an example) would improve us immensely, especially with the big Middle forwards we have coming through in: Pangai, Ese'Ese, Lodge, Haas, etc.

Milford, for all of his shit form, is touching the ball far more than Hunt at the moment, especially in the opposition 20. I'm not sure if it's a directive or what, but Hunt is a passenger in 2017 thus far.
I think you forgot to press 'Post Reply' when you typed this post in 2016 and it's just come up now. Easy mistake to make I guess.

All this talk about Milf looking for $900k-$1m a season might be unders....

According to an article about what Cooper Cronk could earn in Sydney the Broncos have offered Milf much more....??

"The Broncos have also reportedly offered star five-eighth Anthony Milford a deal worth $1.5 million per season — if the NRL salary cap rises substantially to the $10.4 million mark previously forecast."

Now we all know some of these so called journos have a penchant for making stuff up to fill in a story but if this has any credence at all then everyone from Paul White down is off their rockers.

Simply can't be true.... can it??

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/cooper-cronk-will-become-highest-paid-in-nrl-mark-geyer-says/news-story/4bc2a5cf8efc88dcf391483609e210d0#itm=newscomau|sport|right-now-in-|3|Cooper Cronk contract: Storm star to become highest paid in ...|story|Coach, players arrested after 12-0 Barca defeat&itmt=1491358104419

the value of the offer changes depending on which journalist ( and i use that term very loosely) is writing the article...

it has gone anywhere from 600k to 1.5 million

So, if Cronk is being offered more than Milford, that is how it should be. Yes Cronk is coming to the end BUT he has two years most likely left at the top level and can deliver a team a premiership in that time. Cronk has HEAPS of 'runs on the board' as the expression goes, Milf simply doesn't and at present is one of the worst halves in the game (on form, not potential). Regardless of what he or anyone else thinks, if you were basing salary purely on current performance, Milf would be lucky to get a base wage. Sure, the effort is often there but the results just aren't and this is a results driven industry.

The biggest problem for Milford, is that his best attribute, running in broken play, is not utilized enough.

And the reason this is the case is because he is playing at 5/8, he needs to change positions, put Darius on the wing and Milford to Fullback. He would be deadly with kick returns, better than Boyd who gets rag dolled every-time he runs the ball back.

What are the main things you want from your 5/8? Let me list a few and see if Milford ticks those boxes -

Ability to create time (The most important attribute of a 5/8 IMO) - No
Ability to throw long cut out passes - No
Ability to chip and chase - Yes - but he does not do it often enough
Ability to steer the forwards and exploit weaknesses in the other teams defense thinking 2 or 3 plays ahead - No
Ability to snap a field goal - No
Ability to gel with the halfback - No
Ability to make important tackles - lately, No
Leadership qualities on the field - No
Fitness at his peak - No
Beat the first tackle or side-step a player to make a line break - Yes
Put the other team on the back foot in broken play in attack - Most definitely Yes
Remain positive and been seen to be trying his guts out week in week out - No

That to me are Milfords strengths and weaknesses, unless he has a dominant halfback that would compliment and improve his game, I think he is being wasted at 5/8 and instead of missing 6 tackles as 5/8, I would rather see him miss 6 tackles as fullback or Centre because of his step and his speed, he can beat the first man more often than not if he has space but at 5/8, he is jammed up in defence and struggles. Only when the other team is on the back foot in broken play does he seem to find his way, it's time to face facts, that he will always be at best an ordinary 5/8 but given a new position without the pressure of being the pivotal player in the team I think he would relax more and find more attacking options and exploit them and his confidence will grow and his game will improve.

As I said earlier in this thread, when you look at the great halves we have been blessed with over the last 25 or so years, in the future no one will ever speak of the Hunt/Milford halves pairing as it has been a failure from the get go, even in 2015 I think our forwards and Hodges got us to where we were more so than Milford and Hunt.

I hope he re-signs with a contract for 2 years with an option for either side after one year and change his position, spending more than 750K on him to me is not value, on another note, Hunt has pulled off the biggest signing coup in RL history at 26 he is not a Rep player and has jagged one of the biggest deals ever.

The Dragons have paid the equivalent of $100 for a big mac deal when it comes to Hunt, but this thread is about Milford so I guess I am allowed to use a Hamburger analogy. :ninja:

Ability to snap a field goal - No

And that's not the only one.

I could go through that list and post video evidence to show you're wrong but I can't be bothered because it's like trying to talk to a brick wall.

I could go through that list and post video evidence to show you're wrong but I can't be bothered because it's like trying to talk to a brick wall.

This was the last time Milford played amazing.

No you are correct, he is having a great season and will become a superstar immortal of the game and its only a matter of time. We should sign him for whatever he wants and just wait for him to become great, because if we sign him, then he must be great right?

I don't know if this has been posted before but this is what gives me hope for the near future - and it was so good to see Hunt and Milford playing together on the same side.

What's Milford's Broncos strike rate of field goals? About 1 from 6?

7 from 13.

One of those resulting in a try.

No you are correct, he is having a great season and will become a superstar immortal of the game and its only a matter of time. We should sign him for whatever he wants and just wait for him to become great, because if we sign him, then he must be great right?

That being said Jd123, are you looking forward to the game tonight?

I thought Milford went up a gear when Hunt went off.

He has played very well tonight. This should be a good boost for his confidence.

Huge improvement, good stuff. Hope he beats up on the Titans and his confidence is fully back.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Mr Fourex
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Bucking Beads
  • MasterWright
  • broncos4life
  • winslow_wong
  • Manofoneway
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Fitzy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Midean
  • NSW stables
  • scobie
  • BroncosAlways
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.