NEWS Wendell Sailor: "No-One Fears Them"

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Wendell Sailor thinks Cobbo has potential, but says there is one ingredient missing, that's holding us back. and that is a defensive Hit man to give our pack an element of fear for opposition teams.

Wendell Sailor says:

“No-one fears the Broncos,’’ Sailor said.

“Payne Haas is a terrific player and he does a lot of hit-ups and tackles but he is not going to cut you in half like a Petero (Civoniceva) or a Shane Webcke.

“You just think the Broncos will always give you a chance because you are not scared of them.

“They need someone like a (Felise) Kaufusi. I was a massive fan of Jaydn Su’A and was surprised when he left (in 2020). He plays that sort of role and I think they could with that sort of player.

“You know when you play the Broncos they might go toe to toe with you with players like Kurt Capewell who is a good player.

“But there is no hit man like a Su’A, Peter Ryan or a Brand Thorn … someone who is going to tear you apart.

“Past Broncos sides were lucky in that they had guys like Gorden Tallis you’d think “I will get on the back of that.’’

“Cobbo is so naturally gifted. I know they play him on the wing but I really think he could take the hits at fullback because he is such a skilful young player.

“He reminds me a bit of Lote Tuqiri in the way he has time on his side. I never had that. I had aggression, speed and a bit of attitude but not that time that some very special players have.

“Every time I watch Cobbo I get excited. I just think the kid has got game.

“There is no doubt he is made for Origin. Players who have time on their side are special.

Those young players get smashed but they find a way to score a try and get involved.’’

I also think Kobe Hetherington stings in defence and he's going about his work very quietly. So quiet in fact Dell has missed his contributions. And then we also have heard how stinging Piakura's defence can be so it will be nice to see him finally get an extended run from the bench to shake opposition forwards up.

But yeh, Flegler has been nullified to a certain degree but I'm sure he'll work out a way to stay relevant in the enforcer stakes.

So good onya Dell this sort of criticism works on two fronts. it lulls the opposition into a false sense of security and it spurs our guys onto greater efforts.

I just wish the refs would adopt Dell's tip sheet.

I do agree and have thought this for a while. I’m glad we got rid of TPJ but he was the last bully we had.

Teams often walk all over our nice players. The way TPJ was lining us up in the first bulldogs game with no resistance was pretty shocking. He was bullying our forwards and playing dirty and no one pushed back at all. I guess we won that game so it might be the smart move but I think Del is correct.

The game has changed. That sort of play ends up with your "enforcer" collecting dust for 10 rounds a year.

Especially considering how broken the judiciary system is against the Broncos.

Early 2000's meta just doesnt work anymore sorry Dell.

This is the perfect time for Petero or Webcke to respond (in the media) saying the Broncos get their enforcers rubbed out for things every other team barely gets penalised for.

The fact that this is even being spoken about without bringing up that absolute fact just proves nobody with a voice actually gives a shit about this club. Happy to complain about us but not about the reasons why.

Why are they speaking to Dragons and Wallabies legend Wendell Sailor? Wasn’t that the narrative when he retired?
Because he’s pointing out a negative about the Broncos

He’s right. We don’t have a hitman.

Someone that will come out of the line and give you a good shoulder to the rib cage.

I do agree and have thought this for a while. I’m glad we got rid of TPJ but he was the last bully we had.

Teams often walk all over our nice players. The way TPJ was lining us up in the first bulldogs game with no resistance was pretty shocking. He was bullying our forwards and playing dirty and no one pushed back at all. I guess we won that game so it might be the smart move but I think Del is correct.
I tend to agree, have had the same thought watching us this year asking who in our team is there to be physically scared of or why wouldn't you bash our smaller guys as there is no repercussion.

Often see a JFH or Liam Martin go in hard next play if Luai or Cleary are touched up, similar with Nathan Brown at parra, JWH or Radley at Roosters, even Latrell will do it at Souths etc.

I get the Flegler comments as he would be our closest to an 'enforcer' but to me he is a bit different. Flegler is aggressive without rhyme or reason, doesnt pick his moments or react to the state of the game like the above mentioned. If Langer or Lockyer got some treatment in a tackle in the good old days you knew that Tallis/Thorn/Ryan/Carroll would seek out the culprit and make them regret it...i agree with Wendell that we don't have that currently.

Zero line speed (somehow we're still always offside) and Flegler being neutered by the refs is why we arent allowed to play aggressively.

We are playing a different sport to the top 4 teams / Sydney teams under the current state of refereeing.... they're allowed to live offside and coathanger players.

We're playing the Thursday game this week and it's $1.01 that one of OUR players gets binned because NSWRL fucked up yesterday and will now be reactive.

Flegs will probably be binned for grazing someone's face who fell to the ground in front of him and then NSWRL media will kick up a stink that it's not worthy of a binning... and it wont be heard of again for the rest of the round, but we'll have been forced to deal with it and Kevvie wont blow up during his presser.

No player is feared anymore because the biff is gone, you think back to a bloke like Tallis, there's no way an 80kg halfback would give him a niggle because he's just as likely to get up throwing rights, well you can't do that anymore

The Dragons' centre was all over Tyson Frizell the other week and there was literally nothing Frizell could do about it, even an open hand to the face is 10 in the bin

Zero line speed (somehow we're still always offside) and Flegler being neutered by the refs is why we arent allowed to play aggressively.

We are playing a different sport to the top 4 teams / Sydney teams under the current state of refereeing.... they're allowed to live offside and coathanger players.

We're playing the Thursday game this week and it's $1.01 that one of OUR players gets binned because NSWRL fucked up yesterday and will now be reactive.

Flegs will probably be binned for grazing someone's face who fell to the ground in front of him and then NSWRL media will kick up a stink that it's not worthy of a binning... and it wont be heard of again for the rest of the round, but we'll have been forced to deal with it and Kevvie wont blow up during his presser.

Is that you Marty McFly?

Screenshot 20220426 135315 Kayo Sports

Screenshot 20220426 135114 Kayo Sports

Speaking of line speed. This was an absolute joke yesterday. #linespeed

That first one the ref already has them short of the 10 and they leave early.

Second one is the guy is standing in front of the ref. Next to him....

Active Now

• HarryAllan7
  • Manofoneway
  • kiwibronco
  • Fatboy
  • Swordfish
  • MrMoore
  • Harry Sack
  • RolledOates
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fozz
  • Spoon
  • theshed
  • Lazza
  • Browny
  • Jazza
  • KateBroncos1812
  • mitch222
  • davidp
  • Fitzy
  • Foordy
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.