NEWS Wendell Sailor: "No-One Fears Them"

View attachment 18037
View attachment 18038
Speaking of line speed. This was an absolute joke yesterday. #linespeed

That first one the ref already has them short of the 10 and they leave early.

Second one is the guy is standing in front of the ref. Next to him....

Awesome shots there, it's what I have been raging about for the last 5 years, it's under-rated how much 1-2 metres can make (either being off-side, or the refs giving a 8m/12m "10 metre" line.

View attachment 18037
View attachment 18038

I Lost count how many times the dogs did this to us last game, it was a huge reason we had no ability to attack in the first half, I don't want them to bring it back to how it was in 2019 but right now there is basically no enforcement and when there is some enforcement it's like the Ref has confirmation bias with one team over the other.

I've noticed the camera is rarely pulled back wide enough on play-the-balls to show the defensive lines and whether they're on or offside. Markers being square is another area officiated really inconsistently, too. On that note, under the rules of the game, when precisely are the defensive team allowed to advance? I'm assuming once the ball has been rolled backward and is behind the player playing the ball?

I've noticed the camera is rarely pulled back wide enough on play-the-balls to show the defensive lines and whether they're on or offside. Markers being square is another area officiated really inconsistently, too. On that note, under the rules of the game, when precisely are the defensive team allowed to advance? I'm assuming once the ball has been rolled backward and is behind the player playing the ball?

The rule is supposed to be "when the ball clears the ruck", but the NRL have given up trying to get meatheads playing it properly (put ball on ground, roll it backwards with foot). I think the most recent interpretation was when the ball is touched with their foot. Which causes even more issues as so many players don't even use their foot (as long as they move their foot a bit in the air it's classed as an "attempt"). So most defensive lines move up as soon as the player begins the motion to put the ball on the ground. So, yeah, more grey areas to exploit for when they want to ping players for "going early" in defence.

Flegler isn't a hitman.

He's aggressive, but he doesn't strike fear in the opposition. A hitman is someone that will hit you that hard, you'll be trying to catch your breath for the rest of the game. They strike fear into the opposition and make people think twice about running at them.

Flegler has the potential, but he's not there yet.

The last real hitman we had was Te'o. Before that it was Tunza.

Man, this sends me into a rage live at Suncorp. Sam Walker never got back ten ever when we played the Rorters.

Is it weird that I saw this was from Dell and I thought it'd somehow bizarrely end up being "The Broncos lack a hitman, a real enforcer... if I were them I'd want to be looking at the kid that Souths Logan has just signed, T. Sailor."

View attachment 18037
View attachment 18038

To be fair there is under a minute to go in the game at that point... if rorters had managed to strip the ball under the above scenarios then it absolutely should be blown up in the media.

What I would like to see is the line speed of Penrith when they had Canberra completely trapped inside their own 30m line... I very much doubt that Penrith remained onside for basically the entirety of the second half.

They were pretty well shooting off their line and belting the opposition on every tackle, to be able to keep them within their own 40m for basically an entire half of football.

Is that you Marty McFly?
Doc Brown GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

Why are they speaking to Dragons and Wallabies legend Wendell Sailor? Wasn’t that the narrative when he retired?
Cause his son now plays for the feeder club and probably wants to 'help' Brisbane get better...;)

Sailors best mate is Seibold.
Just thought I’d chuck that out there.

Wendell has been to many Broncos functions through out the years, mostly pre COVID.
I wrote a few years ago his son would be coming this way and I still believe he will but only time will tell(as did Wendell).

He sounds like he is rehashing Gillmeister from the other day, but instead of going into the tactics of it, he's just throwing around names.

I personally think we could get another 100 NRL match + experienced second rower to partner Capewell and then tweak the prop rotation to have a modified enforcer role and a metre eater, but forwards aren't really the priority right now.

we actually do have someone like Sailor describes ... but every time he plays with a touch of aggression he gets reported and suspended, thanks to referee/NRL tip sheets
This right here.

The enforcer role is dead and buried in the the modern game.
There is a few hard men left, but they are heavily hamstrung by the rules and the cotton wool swadding the NRL has wrapped the players in.

No one fears any hard men anymore because they are too easily penalized and binned/banned.
When we play the Storm, im not worried one bit about NAS, im worried about Papz and Bsmith.

When we play the Rorters, im not worried about JWH or Victor, im worried about Teddy, Walker and Manu.

15 years ago was a entirely different game Wendell, when enforcers could really **** up opposition with shoulder charges and huge hits on smaller men.
But these days, the smaller men are a protected species and we have seen penalties given over the past few seasons for perfectly legal tackles that have just been hard hits on smaller halves.

Its all a bit sad really. The big hit highlight reels of the past are well and truly gone.

Active Now

• BroncosMan
  • Organix
  • Broncorob
  • bb_gun
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Battler
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.