What’s going wrong with us?

Not when all of their strike weapons were out.

Well you are entitled to your take on it. I think holding any team to six is very impressive, and it was a fluke try at that.

Can we please please **** that horrible fuckin jersey off. It's so un-Bronco like. Whoever Ok'd this rag needs a good floggin.

Can we please please **** that horrible fuckin jersey off. It's so un-Bronco like. Whoever Ok'd this rag needs a good floggin.

I honestly think it's just about our worst regular season kit ever. The away sucks too, but less than the home one.

I honestly think it's just about our worst regular season kit ever. The away sucks too, but less than the home one.
I mean how can you expect someone to bleed for the jersey when it's that bad? Have a heart board and change our shirt mid-season. It will mean extra dollars too.

Its worth mentioning we did that against a reserve grade sharks team who had a shocker.
No it's not relevant for my post at all.
Did the Sharks being shit improve our completion rate? Did it prevent our players from dropping the ball or make the errors we committed against souffs?
Were we not the better team for most of the first half last night, despite the scoreline?

No it's not relevant for my post at all.
Did the Sharks being shit improve our completion rate? Did it prevent our players from dropping the ball or make the errors we committed against souffs?
Were we not the better team for most of the first half last night, despite the scoreline?

How is it not relevant? You’re going to complete better against poorer opposition. If they’re putting less pressure on you you’re less likely to drop the ball.

It might sound silly but the thing I think we are missing isn't kicking, passing, tackling or catching, it's patience. We don't have the strength of leadership or direction to try and wear sides down.
Combine this with the fact that we aren't working hard enough together in defence (probably because we are worn out from giving the ball in an all or nothing play or an error in our own half leading to defending multiple sets), and an inability to focus our effort where and when necessary, and we are now seeing the results.
For a few sessions, we have had the same problems, but with the following caveat:
We had the individual brilliance to dig us out of a hole, combined with the work ethic of a small mobile pack capable of sustaining longer periods of defence in repeat set situations, along with a coach who prioritised defence (much to people's chagrin on this site).
We still have individual brilliance, but it is just that: individual. We don't play as a team and for every game we show some cohesion, there is injury or a form reversal to disrupt it.
Some of that is just the trials of a new coach and the blooding of new players, but there is still the question of attitude (from coaches, players, officials all) as to why it has taken this long to gel even the simplest strategies and compete.
If we were like the Bulldogs last year, battling it out but being overrun by teams running like clockwork that would be one thing, but our defence has let in some very, very soft tries in almost every game, whilst we have yet to show the attention to detail in the simple things in attack (like dropping the ball over the line, being herded into touch, failing to catch uncontested bombs, and frontrowers losing possession in hit ups multiple times).
We are young and will make mistakes. That is not only expected, but acceptable as players try new things in new situations. What is not forgiveable is their constant repeatition
w

It might sound silly but the thing I think we are missing isn't kicking, passing, tackling or catching, it's patience. We don't have the strength of leadership or direction to try and wear sides down.
Combine this with the fact that we aren't working hard enough together in defence (probably because we are worn out from giving the ball in an all or nothing play or an error in our own half leading to defending multiple sets), and an inability to focus our effort where and when necessary, and we are now seeing the results.
For a few sessions, we have had the same problems, but with the following caveat:
We had the individual brilliance to dig us out of a hole, combined with the work ethic of a small mobile pack capable of sustaining longer periods of defence in repeat set situations, along with a coach who prioritised defence (much to people's chagrin on this site).
We still have individual brilliance, but it is just that: individual. We don't play as a team and for every game we show some cohesion, there is injury or a form reversal to disrupt it.
Some of that is just the trials of a new coach and the blooding of new players, but there is still the question of attitude (from coaches, players, officials all) as to why it has taken this long to gel even the simplest strategies and compete.
If we were like the Bulldogs last year, battling it out but being overrun by teams running like clockwork that would be one thing, but our defence has let in some very, very soft tries in almost every game, whilst we have yet to show the attention to detail in the simple things in attack (like dropping the ball over the line, being herded into touch, failing to catch uncontested bombs, and frontrowers losing possession in hit ups multiple times).
We are young and will make mistakes. That is not only expected, but acceptable as players try new things in new situations. What is not forgiveable is their constant repeatition
w

All of this makes perfect sense. I like it.

I've probably done this before, lol, but this is my team i'd go with, with the players we currently have.

1 Bird
2 Oates
3 Roberts ( Boyd if we let Jimmy leave )
4 Staggs
5 Boyd ( Issako if we have to move Boyd )
6 Milf ( and stop him playing as the dominant half!! )
7 Dearden ( mainly because i think he is the one they are pinning their hopes on, let him develop )
8 Lodge
9 Macca
10 Haas
11 Fifita (on the right )
12 Gillo
13 Carrigan

14 Sua
15 TPJ
16 Flegler
17 Joffa.

That team to me makes best use of our squad, and the bench has genuine impact.

To me, there’s a problem with bird playing at full back as never sees how he catch balls. Especially with some of his bomb tries already, I’m a bit connecting him to Dugan as sharks fullback, you just keep seeing him drop the balls.

To me, there’s a problem with bird playing at full back as never sees how he catch balls. Especially with some of his bomb tries already, I’m a bit connecting him to Dugan as sharks fullback, you just keep seeing him drop the balls.

Bird was fine for Cronulla at fullback. Might take him a while to get back into the swing of it there, but i'd have no worries with him there. Dropping passes for tries is different to catching bombs anyway.

Well the current arrangement is not working, he or Milford appear to be the only viable alternatives and it makes more sense to move him there as we have cover in the centres.

Well the current arrangement is not working, he or Milford appear to be the only viable alternatives and it makes more sense to move him there as we have cover in the centres.
Somehow I think Seibold will prefer Isaako play fullback if switching Boyd

Bird was fine for Cronulla at fullback. Might take him a while to get back into the swing of it there, but i'd have no worries with him there. Dropping passes for tries is different to catching bombs anyway.
Just wondering how many games did Bird actually play at fullback for the sharks??

I remember him playing there against the titans when it was absolutely pouring down rain (lakes on the field stuff), but in his first season I thought he was primarily playing 6 on the right and just palming everyone off (literally had no passing game).

Then he pretty well made right centre his own with Val on the wing.

Not sure of his junior days, but I thought he was a 6 or second row.

Just wondering because I would have reservations about making a drastic move like that only for him to be peppered with torpedo bombs and absolutely bottling it

Last edited:
Just wondering how many games did Bird actually play at fullback for the sharks??

I remember him playing there against the titans when it was absolutely pouring down rain (lakes on the field stuff), but in his first season I thought he was primarily playing 6 on the right and just palming everyone off (literally had no passing game).

Then he pretty well made right centre his own with Val on the wing.

Not sure of his junior days, but I thought he was a 6 or second row.

Just wondering because I would have reservations about making a drastic move like that only for him to be peppered with torpedo bombs and absolutely bottling it

I'm not totally sure mate. I remember him there a few times i saw them, then i remember he was in a 3 way battle for the spot but lost out to Barba i think in their premiership winning year.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Sproj
  • eggstar10
  • Fitzy
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Battler
  • Old Mate
  • Waynesaurus
  • Santa
  • Redux
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.