What happens in 2011 ?

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
First up, I appologise if the following has been discussed in another thread .. only skimmed back a couple of pages and couldn't find anything similar so kicked off this new topic.

Ok, so I don't want to stir up a hornets' nest with the masses in here who view the football landscape through maroon and gold glasses ( icon_thumbs_u ) but even the most ardent Broncos supporters would have to admit that 2010 is going to be tough. We're used to this club being considered among the top four or five title favourites every season, but in 2010 the Broncos are considered middle of the pack. And it's hard to argue against because the club has lost some big names and some influential individuals.

And while I'm not writing off 2010 as a 'throwaway' by any means, I can't help but be very intrigued to see the direction the Broncos opt to go in 2011.

Surely the club appears will have quite a bit of salary cap cash to spend given the departures of Hunt and Clinton among others. Can we expect the Broncos to "do a Bulldogs of 09" (although probably not to the extend they did) and get active in the player market ?

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Can we wait to see how we play this year first?

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
Nashy said:
Can we wait to see how we play this year first?

since when did it hurt to engage in discussion ?

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I swear i read in an article a few months back, that Bruno was aiming to sign two 'big name' players for 2011.

J

Jip

NYC Player
Jul 14, 2008
Of course, next years decisions will be based on this years performance, particularly on how the younguns perform in the roles they are undertaking. 2011 will really need to bolster the forward pack otherwise we're just not going to be able to keep up. If we can keep our stellar back line and develop some of the rookies, then that will free up some dollars to spend on the forwards to return to the dominance that they once had.

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
back the juniors, sign up the squad we have now and keep it more or less intact for 3-4 years... the only spot we may need to go outside the club for is an experienced prop to help along the young guys... henjak seems to have faith in these guys to win a title in the next few years, consistancy in the squad these days is paramount to success imo...

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
Obviously it will depend on how this year goes. If we have an absolute shocker we'll definitely be on the market for a forward pack leader and probably a fullback. But if we scrape into the finals or finish just outside (or even better) I think we'd be better off maybe going for one big name and topping up the contracts of those that are left. We have a lot of talented youngsters and our U/20s have done well for two years now.

Meat77

Meat77

NRL Player
Feb 10, 2010
Obviously if one or two of the young brigade show their worth then that should shore up a couple of positions going forward, but I think that days where we can rely 100% on junior talent are long gone so naturally the club should definitely look into purchasing a big name or two for 2011 - I have no doubt they will be squirreling away the cap room to do this as we speak.

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
Unlike some other people I don't expect us to win or even be genuine contenders each and every year. I prefer the way that we have always operated in developing players as individuals and as a playing group over a few years and earning rather than buying premierships. I too hope the club shows a lot of faith in the youngsters we have on the books right now. And yep maybe we do need to buy a quality prop, but I emphasise QUALITY - there is no point spending money on someone just for the sake of spending money.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Personally I'm more concerned with what happens in 2017! WTF is gonna happen then?!?!

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Is this a serious question???

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Who cares.
Lets see what happens this year first.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
i dont get where all of a sudden everyones saying we're going to struggle is coming from?

we've basically got the same team as last year, minus hunt and taylor, have gained tim smith, and now instead of having like 11 guys under the age of 20 that have no first grade experience like we did last year, we have 11 guys under the age of 20 with first grade experience under their belt, know what it takes to make it in the NRL, and strung together some of the most impressive wins by any broncos team of the last 9 seasons at the end of the season.

so why again are we all doom and gloom? if any season had the makings of a 'middle of the pack' ending, it was last year - new coach, whole new team, same old weight of expectation.

B

Bannermania

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
I think the worry for most Broncos fans is the fact they you guys started out really strong last year, and got nailed the latter half of the season.

There doesn't seem to be any proof that will say that it won't happen to you this season. Especially minus Hunt and Taylor. Sure, you've got Tim Smith, but where does he fit in? He's a natural playmaker, and those spots are occupado.

it will be a testing year for the Broncs, no doubt. But, I will never ever count them out. They always manage to pull a few gems outta their hat every season.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Anonymous person said:
i dont get where all of a sudden everyones saying we're going to struggle is coming from?

we've basically got the same team as last year, minus hunt and taylor, have gained tim smith, and now instead of having like 11 guys under the age of 20 that have no first grade experience like we did last year, we have 11 guys under the age of 20 with first grade experience under their belt, know what it takes to make it in the NRL, and strung together some of the most impressive wins by any broncos team of the last 9 seasons at the end of the season.

so why again are we all doom and gloom? if any season had the makings of a 'middle of the pack' ending, it was last year - new coach, whole new team, same old weight of expectation.

Have to agree with AP, if injuries are kind I fully expect us to make the 8 again this year. If some of the kids come through and star who knows??

Canga

Canga

NYC Player
Sep 16, 2008
Anonymous person said:

+1

I think we will be in the 8 comfortably.

A

Aaron

Nov 4, 2009
The underestimated side to the Broncos is the fans. We have at least 25,000 show up to each home game, because of the size of Suncorp the it's not exactly a fortress but that support and enthusiasm gives the players a lift and something to play for on the night.

With the team we have we probably wouldn't make the 8 if we had the same attendances as say the Sharks. Brisbane as a whole will get the boys over the line this year!

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
Canga said:
Anonymous person said:

+1

I think we will be in the 8 comfortably.

lmfao ....

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • scobie
  • Allo
  • Mustafur
  • lynx000
  • Waynesaurus
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Broncorob
  • Cavalo
  • bb_gun
  • Brocko
  • broncs30
  • Maddy
  • Morkel
  • Harry Sack
  • Old Mate
  • The Don
... and 19 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.