What is happening at the Broncos?

This team of players and coaching stuff has to get it right someday right? How many years do they need to figure it out? Just make it work somehow - we don't care how it gets done - just get it done yo!

If we could somehow accidentally manage to beat the Cowboys and Storm this year it would break down a major physiological barrier that our current players have.

Next week needs to be treated like a grand final.

Forwards cannot go forward, backs cannot run holes, field position wont be gained from kicks until we have a halves combination that does their job. Halves along with hooker need to steer the team around each set. Steering doesnt mean touching the ball every play - but its their script that has to be followed.

Forwards cannot go forward, backs cannot run holes, field position wont be gained from kicks until we have a halves combination that does their job. Halves along with hooker need to steer the team around each set. Steering doesnt mean touching the ball every play - but its their script that has to be followed.

This.

This is what concerns me. We seemed to have the formula pretty close in 2015. Milford was, from what I saw on the field, and read, ALLOWED to play as he felt, allowed to be, well, the Milford we bought for the kind of skill and talent he showed at the Faders, and Hunt seemed to feed off that energy. They played together, they played individually, as if they were a) enjoying themselves and b) understood what it meant to lead the team round in the middle, helped in large part, by an enthusiastic pack and outside backs.

And then there was Hodges factor which I still think was so critical to our success back then - real leadership both through example, and talk.

I hope Walters returns to the halves formula he implemented in '15 AND Jack Bird brings some of the mongrel and leadership that Hodges had which, in turn, will inspire the rest of the hugely talented squad we have to play their arses off to the grand final where we belong.

... and McGuire is a waste at lock.

Bird has that win at all costs mentality that young blokes like Jurbo have, he’ll be massive for us when he comes back. It’s just a shame that Cronulla don’t look after their players.

Imagine being a roosters fan. They looked worse than us, and they went out and attempted to buy a prem. It’d be like us buying Smith and Tommy Turbo and losing to the titans round 1.

Bird has that win at all costs mentality that young blokes like Jurbo have, he’ll be massive for us when he comes back. It’s just a shame that Cronulla don’t look after their players.

Imagine being a roosters fan. They looked worse than us, and they went out and attempted to buy a prem. It’d be like us buying Smith and Tommy Turbo and losing to the titans round 1.

Except the Tigers played ok though. They were really strong defensively. I actually don't think the Roosters did play worse than us.

If we are being honest we have looked the worst team of the weekend so far.

I think the general standard of play has been poor across the board regardless of who has won or lost. Don't know why the Broncos have been singled out.

Dragons weren't that good. Neither were the Cowboys, Sharks etc.

Most teams have looked flat and most games have been **** boring.

I think the general standard of play has been poor across the board regardless of who has won or lost. Don't know why the Broncos have been singled out.

Dragons were quite porous on their line. We just didn't have the field position to exploit it.

It's only round 1, but honestly we looked bad. I'm telling you, Alex Corvo will be one of our biggest losses this season. We looked tired the entire game. Corvo had us match fit every game. Who replaced him?

Were we the worst performed team in round 1? Yeah probably. Can we turn it around? Yeah probably. I'm hoping this loss is a massive wake up call. We'll see how it goes against the cowboys but let's not expect a win because truthfully, they are a better side than we are especially this year but if we can at least play with some fucking desire with a win at all costs attitude, I'll be happy.

It's only round 1, but honestly we looked bad. I'm telling you, Alex Corvo will be one of our biggest losses this season. We looked tired the entire game. Corvo had us match fit every game. Who replaced him?

Were we the worst performed team in round 1? Yeah probably. Can we turn it around? Yeah probably. I'm hoping this loss is a massive wake up call. We'll see how it goes against the cowboys but let's not expect a win because truthfully, they are a better side than we are especially this year but if we can at least play with some fucking desire with a win at all costs attitude, I'll be happy.

They've had since November to get fit though. Surely any professional trainer could get them fit for round one. To me it seems they work too much on strength and conditioning than actual football structures and tactics. Come game time they were that lost with what to do that no amount of fitness could dig them out of the hole they were in.

Flogging a dead horse but we need a kicking game and an actual game plan with an organiser to implement said plan. Bennett ball isn't working anymore.

They've had since November to get fit though. Surely any professional trainer could get them fit for round one. To me it seems they work too much on strength and conditioning than actual football structures and tactics. Come game time they were that lost with what to do that no amount of fitness could dig them out of the hole they were in.

Flogging a dead horse but we need a kicking game and an actual game plan with an organiser to implement said plan. Bennett ball isn't working anymore.
Good point. Yes, we looked lost with no structure but we also looked fatigued and tired and uninterested mentally.

I wouldn't say Bennett ball isn't working. Let's give it til round 8 or 9 and see where we're at then.

They've had since November to get fit though. Surely any professional trainer could get them fit for round one.
Being a world cup year a lot of players had a shortened preseason this time round.

I think kodi didn't come back until January and then got delayed due to surgery.

It's been a prick of a preseason for us and with sooo many new combinations it's gonna take time to gel.

Being a world cup year a lot of players had a shortened preseason this time round.

I think kodi didn't come back until January and then got delayed due to surgery.

It's been a prick of a preseason for us and with sooo many new combinations it's gonna take time to gel.
Probably a pretty fair analysis. Perhaps we just have not had the opportunity on working on those combinations in pre-season training.

Our biggest issue is we just dont have any top players these days like we used to. When you think we could field teams containing the likes of Thorn, Lockyer, Webcke, Petero, Carroll, Tate, Tallis etc and compare that to now. All we have really is potential elite players. In the past, we have actually had blokes who could walk the walk.

Agree, our R-1 game looked like we're either short by 1 trail game or drained out by our trip to PNG.
The ball control & error count must start to significantly improve from next week. The forwards MUST stop being half's and be the forwards, spine needs to take more control and the outer backs must reduce the error counts & as a group have to start building that 'Broncos Wall' while defending. It's all sound like wishlist's but, that's what is expected of the Mighty Broncos!!!

Looking at the round 1 team and their respective preseasons there's probably only a handful that got a full preseason in and they looked the freshest out there. TPJ the exception who looked a beast out there whilst backing up from the world cup

1. Boyd missed the world cup. Then niggling hammy injuries prevented any trials
2. Oates was transitioning to a second rower minimal trial time then played second half of the last game on the wing.
3. Roberts played trials can't recall any preseason issues and is looking pretty good to go
4. Kahu missed world cup due to surgery. Had zero trial time in the centres
5. Isaako played well in the trials probably started preseason in November
6. Milf surgery and rehab resulted in playing one trial for 35mins... expected to transform his game with a new halves partner
7. Kodi played world cup returned January had appendicitis missing another two weeks. Playing a new position with a completely new role
8. Lodge full preseason but hasn't played NRL for 3 years. I thought he played well
9. Macca no trials and been rehabbing since august last year
10. Sammy getting on in age and having to play a new position he's not entirely suitable for. I noticed as well with him starting at 9 he played the first 30mins of the game in the middle
11. Glenn missed the world cup so probably had a longer preseason than most. Played the 80 from memory and got what we expected
12. Gillett world cup played one trial and looked very rusty
13. McGuire as above but looked less rusty. Probably just not as involved as usual maybe under done
14. TPJ played world cup but looks to have come back a beast. Seems to be against the norm
15. Offa played world cup. Watching his game again I think he played reduced minutes for some reason Sammy and Lodge played out first 30 before he came on then I believe he was off by the 60min
16. Sims missed world cup and seemed to be in rehab for a long time. Seemed to play reduced mins similar to Offa
17. Sua probably had the whole preseason looked strong in the trials but was only given the last 15-20 of the game.

Totally agree. The OP is a complete over reaction...borderline hysterical.

Take out a bit of the Cameron Munster slickness and in general, the Storm were ordinary to.

Who was your coach back in your NRL days?

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • phoenix
  • Brocko
  • Battler
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • BroncoFan94
  • Bucking Beads
  • GCBRONCO
  • Xzei
  • Broncosarethebest
  • The Don
  • Fitzy
  • Griffo
  • Foordy
  • Manlyman
  • Broncorob
  • ChewThePhatt
  • cento
  • Wolfie
  • Allo
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.