What's all the fuss about?

T

trigrhappi

BRL Player
Mar 9, 2008
What's with the negative push from the media about the Video Refs ability to rule on stripping the ball incidents?? There's a constant outcry about 'slowing the game down' while the Video Ref confirms/denies a strip.

IMO, I'm happy to wait the 30 seconds to get a right decision. I dare say that the attempts to strip will probably decrease now that players know they're likely to be caught out.

What's the consensus? Get on with the game or get it right?

Good call to have the video ref checking on the strip.Players are getting too good at throwing the ball and it being classed as a strip.
Ruling on forward passes on tries scored should be on the agenda as well IMO.

Taking time to make a correct and fair decision is all good in my book. Don't care if people get annoyed about how long it may take, but as long as they get it right. I'm happy to wait.

I think the video ref is spoiling the game to be honest. It is slowing it down too much. Players can contest the ref now and go to the video ref, I mean how stupid is that. It's like Tennis!

The league has been around for 100 years and it has survived most of them without the video ref. It does take some enjoyment out of going to the footy.

The Rock said:
Rugby League will turn into a very boring sport if this sort of trend continues.

The potential's there and I think it's a fine line they need to tread between game speed and decision accuracy. Apparently the Vid Ref can only view a replay twice when adjudicating on strips. It wouldn't be a bad idea to apply this limitation to all decisions.

I agree with you, great idea. I hate it when the ball is mistaken for a fumble when it was actually stripped. These things can be turning points in games.

But sometimes the video ref also gets it wrong which wastes a lot of time for no reason.

At the end of the day it is a sport played by humans and should be adjudicated by humans. As soon as the players are perfect and don't make a single mistake then we can demand the same of the officials.

They tend to get it right most of the time and over the course of a season I would say the bad calls even out. I would hate RL to get to a situation like American Football where they basically stop every play for the video ref to make a decision on the play.

Flutterby said:
They tend to get it right most of the time and over the course of a season I would say the bad calls even out. I would hate RL to get to a situation like American Football where they basically stop every play for the video ref to make a decision on the play.
Absolutely, the last thing we'd want is a four hour League match. I've heard a suggestion that coaches should be given an opportunity to challenge a few decisions per match. This sounds like an excellent way of minimising unnecessary stoppages and players appealing for the VR to be referred to every time a decision goes against them.

Slowing the game down that much doesn't matter. The game now is faster then ever even with the video refs making calls on the stripped balls. And as far as i am concerned the game is getting to quick which is why so many players are getting injured

It's a matter of finding the correct balance. Keeping the game at a decent pace, and making the correct decisions.

Getting rid of scrums would be awesome too. Not only are they useless, they stop play for too long. They are the most boring part of a Rugby League match.

Either start using scrums for what they were originally meant (Union Style), or scrap them. The NRL is pushing for fitter teams, the excuse of giving the forwards a break is a croc.

If they can't handle it, train some more, or get out.

i'm a bit on the fence. I dont want league to start turning into the NRL. We do seem to be paying alot for the refs to do less this year.

mick! said:
spoonbled said:
I dont want league to start turning into the NRL.

eusa_think I think you're a little too late on that one.

yeah that would be as bad as watching American Football turn into NFL [icon_lol1.

I'm not thrilled by the delays, but I thoroughly disagree with Phil Gould in some specific cases where he's said there's no onus on the ball carrier to retain possession and it's "rewarding them for dropping it".

There was one on Sunday where he trotted that line out, and from memory the defender had both arms and his torso wrapped around the ball carrier's arm and the ball. When they fell to the ground, naturally the ball popped out. It's impossible to hold the ball in a way in that situation that will stop it popping out, and if you simply call those a lost ball then you'll have defenders just cling on to it and hope it comes loose in the ground contact every time.

That's a classic strip IMO.

I have no problem with defenders wrapping up the ball, but as far as I'm concerned, the second the referee calls held the players should release the ball. If they don't, penalty. Not this crap about movement, that's secondary. The MOMENT held is called, the defender should let the ball go. That should be the first thing that happens at that point.

Too often you see the other two defenders roll away, and then the last defender stands up and THEN takes his hand off the football. Frustrating to watch.

If using the vid ref will help clean this area of the game up, then I'm 110% behind it.

I think it is good for the game.

Hopefully players will get the message and the video ref won't be needed as often.

I was always with the suggestion of video ref for checking the GROUNDINGS of trys and offside (behind the kicker). I'd be pretty happy with that... or even just IN GOAL incidents for trys only.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Wolfie
  • LittleDavey
  • Battler
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • broncsgoat
  • Strop
  • Jazza
  • RodF
  • FACTHUNT
  • Big Del
  • theshed
  • ThomasovPreaf
  • BruiserMk1
  • Santa
  • Brocko
  • Bish
  • sooticus
  • KeithustEndaf
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.