When I a player gets injuried....... massive rant.

A

Aeetee

State of Origin Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Ok tonight during our game, about 5 mns in, the team we where playing against was attacking our line. They played the ball about 5 out, dummy half drifted across field, tried to draw our defenders then stepped back inside to the bitter sweet sound of POP in his knee. He went down hard, yelling in pain through clenched teeth. Crawling on one knee punching the ground... this guy was in serious pain. Guess what happened next................

NOT ONE MEMBER FROM HIS **** ING TEAM WENT TO SEE IF HE WAS OK. WTMF. All I heard was you ok insert name here. So I come in from about 10 meters away to comfort the poor guy, make sure hes ok, I get him into the ingoal, his team sets for the next play, I turn around and look at the ref and go Time **** ing out man, this guys hurting. Hes moaning in pain, his team mates are standing 10 meters away going you need a Ambo insert name here. I wave Coxy and Lukes dad over to help the guy to the sideline. I rejoin my team look a the closest oppostion guy to me and say, I'm feeling the live in your team buddy.

Seriously made me pretty mad. How can you do that to a team mate, if anyone of my guys get hurt or I get hurt (touchwood) I expect my team to rally around and help out. But to to stand there and yell from across the field "you want an Ambo, you right to drive' is seriously pathetic.

/rant over

Tee, what happened is the guy put a chip in behind Mike and myself. I grabbed his tag as he knocked on and popped his knee.

Then when I patted his back and asked if he was ok, I think Mike said the same thing. That was when he screamed out (obviously in discomfort) "****, not again!" and punched the ground.

I think it may have been that reaction which confused his team as to his state.

That said, seconds later it was rather apparent he was in pain, the poor bastard was squirming ffs and they still didn't really gather around.

Oh thats right, he grubbered ahead and tried to go through you guys.... I knew there was a step in there :)

And this was no rant at you or Mike, I saw you ask him if he was OK, he groaned and started to one knee crawl towards me. Buy the time I got there which was what 5 secs, not one of his team mates had bothered to see if he was ok.

Oh I know you weren't saying stuff to us, I'm just saying he was in so much pain that he wasn't accepting help. Even when you lifted him up, I tried to grab his other shoulder and he pushed me away.

I have been in that much pain before (squirming with sheer pain) and I understand why he pushed me away.

I agree with you however, they didn't seem overly concerned, they all set the defensive line.

The game started to get a little heated early second half tonight, see them shoulder myself before half, Coxy after half (maybe twice?), Andy twice in a row and then Luke. Then they realised they were beaten and kinda gave up.

I love the shoulder stuff, bring it on! People will work out if you bash into me the only person who'll hit the deck is them! :P It's fucking hard to get me to fall over.

Good win though again. 8-4.

And agree with both of you about the other team's pissweak sportsmanship.

On sportsmanship, tell me if this is too much;

My other team is all AJ's and after the game finishes, we also give a "3 cheers" for the other team. Only once have we received this compliment in return, however I understand other teams wouldn't be expecting it or even think it necessary for casual sport, we only do it as it's a cultural thing in the Army.

I have overheard other teams saying that with the 3 cheers, we are taking the game too serious.

Do you guys think it's too overboard for casual sport or do you think it's a good thing to thank the opposition?

I think it's fine, and if someone did it for my team i'd return it. I wouldn't expect it, as you said.

Imagine if a team gave you 3 cheers out of the blue.

1. You'd be surprised.
2. You'd probably appreciate it despite thinking it's a bit wanky.
3. You could NEVER reciprocate it on the same night because it would seem forced.

What's wrong with a simple shake of the hand?

Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge the other teams for not giving 3 cheers back, I just got a little standoffish when I heard the "too serious" comments.

Also, we give the 3 cheers as we are shaking hands and we play each team twice so by the second time they shouldn't feel awkward.

Some peeps who have never played competitive footy may not know the three cheers thing...

Or even competitive sport, especially junior. We always did the three cheer thing through my junior cricket "career" (career, lolz).

My team rocked when I got injured (twice)! On the first occasion I even had Tee running on from the sideline to carry me off, Coxy and Clinton telling me to stay down because they were buggered and wanted a rest. [icon_lol1.

Then the second time, Burdo gave me a piggy back to my car 8-)

LOLZ...so THAT's what you meant when you said you bare backed Burdo..... :P

I said no such thing!! But yes thats what I meant ;-)

Of course you people of it from junior sport, but none of the adult competitive competitions I've been involved with actively practice the three cheers.

Nor mine. But if it happens I don't see anything wrong with returning the favour.

I used to play in a basketball team with some friends, and they used to insist on doing a strange song/dance/cheer thing for the other team at the end of every game. Totally embarrassing because it was loud enough for the entire complex (4 courts) to hear, but the other teams generally laughed at/with us. No accusations of taking it too seriously, though we looked like complete idiots so I guess that wasn't a danger.

I agree that there's nothing WRONG with returning the favour, but most won't because it would seem forced.

It's like saying "you look nice too" when someone says it to you.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Allo
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Financeguy
  • BroncoFan94
  • Jazza
  • Fozz
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • sooticus
  • kiwi2
  • lynx000
  • MrRobot
  • The Don
  • Waynesaurus
  • Browny
  • broncs30
... and 21 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.