Where does Benji Marshall fit in?

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
If Benji is signed by us for next season, where does he play?

The options are:

- Q Cup
- Bench utility
- Halves ( with a reshuffle )
- Left centre

I think QCUP for depth or playing left centre in a Jamie Lyon style role with a bit of help with our kicking game.

1) bench utility - who we run on at the end of games to kick field goals and to calm Hunt and Milford down

2) halves coach

1) bench utility - who we run on at the end of games to kick field goals and to calm Hunt and Milford down

2) halves coach

I was thinking that.. Halves Coach! I wouldnt want him at left centre..... halves i could live with, but from bench so its a big reshuffle and someone misess out.

As a world class half to put pressure on the, as yet, unrealised "potential" of Hunt and moreso Milford

As a (once certainly but a very long time ago now) world class half to put pressure on the, as yet, unrealised "potential" of Hunt and moreso Milford

I think that inserted bit is important. :) If he has signed on for 100k, it really is a great buy, regardless of what anyone says. At worst he is on a base wage as back up to our main guys. At best, he recaptures something near his best and forces his way into the side. Either way, at 100k it is an astute purchase.

I hate to bring it up, and I hope this isn't the plan, but it deserves to be mentioned I suppose..

1. Boyd
6. Marshall
7. Milford
9. Hunt
13. McCullough

The pro would be that our kicking game and game management would both improve.

The cons would be that Hunt would be defending in the middle of the park, Marshall & Milford might be the worst defensive halves pairing in NRL history and McCullough more than likely won't be making enough metres on hit-ups for us to ever win the forward battle.

As you can tell, the cons outweigh the pros.

marshalls kicking game is pretty shithouse.

marshall has been terrible the last few years, but at a bargain price (100k ish) i dont see alot wrong with it, and i really dont like benji.

he can fight it out for the #14 spot (i'd prefer to go with kodi, but i guess now he has to work hard to earn it) and at very worst he adds some depth in case of injury to a starting half. lets face it, we are short on depth in the halves (like most clubs).

As others have mentioned at $100K it is a bargain buy. This sort of stuff happens in professional sports all over the world. An experienced player who can add depth to a roster and act as pseudo-coach to certain players. I don't know what all the fuss is about especially at the $100K price tag.

Origin backup. Other than that, Left Right Out.

Origin backup. Other than that, Left Right Out.

You don't reckon that he'd be a better utility than Nikorima?

I think it'd be very interesting to actually compare the two as pure utilities, Nikorima would have the edge in speed and x-factor out of dummy half, but Marshall has him covered in terms of adding another dimension to our kicking game / ball playing when he would come on, Benji is also a bigger body, so having him around the middle of the field shouldn't be quite as disastrous defensively as Nikorima was at times last season.

I'm sure Wayne wouldn't sign him purely as injury cover, he'll only sign him if he's got a plan to use him. Giving Nikorima 12 months full-time in the halves in Queensland Cup can only be a good thing for his development as well.

You don't reckon that he'd be a better utility than Nikorima?

I think it'd be very interesting to actually compare the two as pure utilities, Nikorima would have the edge in speed and x-factor out of dummy half, but Marshall has him covered in terms of adding another dimension to our kicking game / ball playing when he would come on, Benji is also a bigger body, so having him around the middle of the field shouldn't be quite as disastrous defensively as Nikorima was at times last season.

I'm sure Wayne wouldn't sign him purely as injury cover, he'll only sign him if he's got a plan to use him. Giving Nikorima 12 months full-time in the halves in Queensland Cup can only be a good thing for his development as well.

I'm sure Wayne will use him on the bench. But I'm not a massive fan of Benji.

benji is only getting older and his defense is pretty poor. i'm not sure he would do well in the middle of the park. but that remains to be seen, i cant say hes ever defended there in the NRL?

another offseason for niko to build size+strength and work on his defense. i think he's more likely to see a big improvement being young and still developing.

the competition for the #14 can only be a good thing

again, injury cover is a big bonus.

Last edited:
No way would have have taken 100K.
Why not ...

He didn't just have limited options, he had no other options.

We were in the strongest possible negotiating position. We didn't have to compete against another club for his services, so we could make him a low take it or leave it offer.

He takes it and he gets to continue his rugby league career in Australia.

He leaves it and he is forced to either retire ir move to England

Why not ...

He didn't just have limited options, he had no other options.

We were in the strongest possible negotiating position. We didn't have to compete against another club for his services, so we could make him a low take it or leave it offer.

He takes it and he gets to continue his rugby league career in Australia.

He leaves it and he is forced to either retire ir move to England

Or he could have another go at Rugby. He was excellent..... lol.

Surprised more people aren't happy with this. Yes Benji didn't have a good 2016 but he got 2nd in Dally M in only 12 months ago. He had a season plagued with injuries and that Dragons team under Mary is absolute rubbish.
Even at his age I would have him over Hunt. Hunt is not going to take us to a premiership he's just not good enough. He had a very good year and we got close but we didn't win so close doesn't cut it. He's been poor more than he's been good and his last tackle options are a joke.
Fully fit Benji will put pressure on him which can only be good.
We need a game manager at 7 to work with the brilliance of Milf.

Benji to 7? Not bloody likely. He's pretty much old enough to have grand kids.

Active Now

• Jazza
  • Old Mate
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncorob
  • mrslong
  • Bish
  • theshed
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • Wolfie
  • Footy Fanatic
  • davidp
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fatboy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fitzy
  • BroncsNBundy
  • sooticus
  • bazza
... and 21 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.