Where does Benji Marshall fit in?

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
BENJI Marshall is set for a chilly unveiling in Broncos colours after utility Kodi Nikorima was ruled out of Brisbane’s trip to England.Nikorima will not make the trip overseas for the World Club Series in February as he continues his recovery from a shoulder reconstruction.
The livewire utility is not expected to miss much, if any, of the NRL season, but his unavailability during the pre-season trials has opened the door for Marshall to snare Brisbane’s No. 14 jersey.
PICTURES: Powerhouse Semi stands out at training
SPORT CONFIDENTIAL: Hawaii trial cancelled
Coach Wayne Bennett is still undecided about what role Marshall will play for the Broncos next season.
3b4814b6bcf223bde8768889f1cafc19
Benji Marshall at Broncos training. Pic Annette DewHe will not unseat Ben Hunt or Anthony Milford in the halves, meaning his best opportunity at a regular first-grade berth could be from the bench.
Marshall could make an appearance at the Auckland Nines in early February, possibly alongside fellow 2005 Wests Tigers premiership winner Scott Prince.
But his first appearance in a fully fledged game may be against Super League runner’s up Warrington Wolves on February 18.
Marshall, 31, has impressed Broncos staff during the opening weeks of pre-season training while Bennett ran his eye over the ex-Dragons halfback for the first time this week.
One player itching to run out alongside his childhood hero is young forward Jai Arrow.
Arrow, 21, came through the same Gold Coast league nursery, Keebra Park, as Marshall, albeit 10 years later.
“He was one of the best in the game when I was at Keebra,” Arrow said.
“He was actually one of my idols growing up so it’s pretty special having him here.
“Our coach Greg Lenton spoke about him a lot and how his work ethic was good. He always did the right thing and made himself the best he could.
a0b06b41c73f664f669c5f2df0a5cadf
Benji Marshall at Broncos training. Pic Annette Dew“(We were told) if you stick your head down and get the work done it could all happen for you, just like it was happening for Benji.
“He was a great player. He had the fancy step. Kids look up to that when they’re growing up and notice it.”
It would be a must-watch event if the retired Prince and Marshall paired up again in Auckland, 12 years after their grand final heroics.
But Bennett could also look to take the pressure off Marshall by resting him from the fast-paced format of the game where he would be under pressure to perform.
Nikorima will be joined on the sidelines for the start of the season by impressive centre Tom Opacic, who underwent two shoulder operations during the off-season.
Opacic is expected to miss the opening month of the NRL season, but the rest of the Broncos squad is tracking well.
No Cookies | Daily Telegraph

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Yes to benji and prince playing at the 9s. Throw Roberts in there too and let him run

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
I want Roberts,Milford M.seve, J.Isaajo, F. Molo, Oates, Pangai jr, J. Pearson,J Sua as well as Benji, Prince

Last edited:
Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
It's still weird to see Benji in our colours isn't it?

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
A mate of mine said he saw Benji with Milf, Hunt and McC at a cafe earlier today and Benji seemed to be the only one talking.

M

Maroon4life

QCup Player
May 28, 2016
Hopefully, that's Benji talking about tactics.

Fair play to Benji, for whatever reason he came to the Broncos I've heard nothing but good reports released officially by the broncos and unofficially through fans by social media.

Always been a likeable character but an easy target by all and sundry due to the pedestal he has been put on by the media. Definitely made some poor career choices but i hope he can get something out of the deal he's made with Wayne.

Last edited:
tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Yes it's good to hear but I don't see why they can't be at a pub instead of a cafe. Cafes are so un-rugby league.

Sirlee oldman

Sirlee oldman

NRL Player
Dec 6, 2015
Yes it's good to hear but I don't see why they can't be at a pub instead of a cafe. Cafes are so un-rugby league.
I was just thinking the opposite. Plenty of time later to sit in a pub and reminisce about the premiership they won.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Cafes instead of pubs, at least something about rugby league has some semblance of professionalism.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • jd87
  • Xzei
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Aldo
  • Porthoz
  • FACTHUNT
  • Froosh
  • Canga
  • sooticus
  • Brocko
  • Dash
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.