PLAYER Payne Haas

I'd like to keep him on his current contract. If he's changed his mind on being a greedy ****, I hope he stays, if he wants 1m, see ya.

There's probably like 5 players in the NRL who are worth a million, certainly no one at our club.
I am indifferent to him staying or leaving. 600k would be fair, anything more and he can leave, no hard feelings.

I'd like to keep him on his current contract. If he's changed his mind on being a greedy ****, I hope he stays, if he wants 1m, see ya.

There's probably like 5 players in the NRL who are worth a million, certainly no one at our club.
Are forwards worth 800K plus? That is approximately 9% of the salary cap.

I think Huge pointed out a couple of years ago that Haas maybe disgruntled with his contract given his output versus Flegers, TPJ, and fifitas contract. Collectively, forwards are on too much money.

As much as Haas denies it, big money should be spent on spine players. Our improvements this season have really come from having a strong administration; DD and Ikin.

Carrigan has to thinking he's worth Haas money too. Now that's 18% of the salary cap in 2 props....

We need a gun 9. I would love to shop Haas for a player exchange. Shame we couldn't of exchanged Harry Grant for Haas when they still had Brandon Smith on their books.

I think Huge pointed out a couple of years ago that Haas maybe disgruntled with his contract given his output versus Flegers, TPJ, and fifitas contract. Collectively, forwards are on too much money.

As much as Haas denies it, big money should be spent on spine players. Our improvements this season have really come from having a strong administration; DD and Ikin.

Carrigan has to thinking he's worth Haas money too. Now that's 18% of the salary cap in 2 props....

We need a gun 9. I would love to shop Haas for a player exchange. Shame we couldn't of exchanged Harry Grant for Haas when they still had Brandon Smith on their books.
I think Forwards are the most important players after your 1, 7, and 9.

Problem is premium 1/7/9s rarely hit the market, so if you can't get one of them you just invest in forwards because a good pack makes your spine's job easier.

If there was someway getting rid of Haas would get us RTS, Cook, Grant, Munster, API, Burton, etc, it's a no brainer but take a look at Redcliffe, the market for players is shit. There's no one worthwhile off contract so releasing him just means we'd be under the cap next year rather than finding a worthy replacement.

I’ve been thinking about this recently, even though cook is on the decline, would you let haas go and sign cook next year? As young as our team is, next year kind of feels like we need to make a push, Reynolds not getting any younger. Mam is a long way from being an organising half, mozer is years away.

I’ve been thinking about this recently, even though cook is on the decline, would you let haas go and sign cook next year? As young as our team is, next year kind of feels like we need to make a push, Reynolds not getting any younger. Mam is a long way from being an organising half, mozer is years away.
Hunt, Mahoney, Cook, Grant Api - you’d trade Haas for any of them imo

Cook on a two year deal next to Reynolds, with Mozer as apprentice, we win the premiership. But keep Tommy Flegler.

I think Forwards are the most important players after your 1, 7, and 9.

Problem is premium 1/7/9s rarely hit the market, so if you can't get one of them you just invest in forwards because a good pack makes your spine's job easier.

If there was someway getting rid of Haas would get us RTS, Cook, Grant, Munster, API, Burton, etc, it's a no brainer but take a look at Redcliffe, the market for players is shit. There's no one worthwhile off contract so releasing him just means we'd be under the cap next year rather than finding a worthy replacement.
Agreed. But a player swap could work for some teams looking to strengthen that position.

Losing a gun 9 may not big a big blow if they have a decent back up 9. Whereas a gun 9 means a lot more to us than Haas does, given we have Carrigan, Flegler, etc.

Cook on a two year deal next to Reynolds, with Mozer as apprentice, we win the premiership. But keep Tommy Flegler.
Honestly this is my thinking, we can’t keep all these props and we desperately need a class hooker.

Therein lies the problem with kevie getting his son, this is the one position that we desperately need to upgrade, will he get in the way of that? Me thinks he will.

Honestly this is my thinking, we can’t keep all these props and we desperately need a class hooker.

Therein lies the problem with kevie getting his son, this is the one position that we desperately need to upgrade, will he get in the way of that? Me thinks he will.
I've been sticking my toe in the water on this since we signed him, wondering when being Billy's dad would become a conflict of interest for Kevvie. I think we're right on the verge of that now. The only reason it's not is because we have poor depth in the position he's been shoehorned into.

I predict we'll start to see widespread resentment from fans - which isn't happening at all yet - if he's anything more than depth come start of next season. We have to sign a starting hooker, preferably a veteran like Reynolds, this off season. I'm not a Cook fan, but his history with Reynolds would be a massive asset. Alternatively an 80 minute hooker could also work. Then maybe we could play Gamble, rather than Walters/Paix off the bench.

Paix is also part of the problem. He's not working out.

Agreed. But a player swap could work for some teams looking to strengthen that position.

Losing a gun 9 may not big a big blow if they have a decent back up 9. Whereas a gun 9 means a lot more to us than Haas does, given we have Carrigan, Flegler, etc.
Could only hope honestly, I would even take Sam Verrils, not on the same money as Haas, but he's a decent 9, definitely better than any current options we have. I don't really rate Paix, Turpin, or Walters as 9, they're all just stop gaps IMO. Verrils is a decent player who we could use for 2 years while Mozer is hopefully groomed to take over if he even turns out to be any good.

I've been sticking my toe in the water on this since we signed him, wondering when being Billy's dad would become a conflict of interest for Kevvie. I think we're right on the verge of that now. The only reason it's not is because we have poor depth in the position he's been shoehorned into.

I predict we'll start to see widespread resentment from fans - which isn't happening at all yet - if he's anything more than depth come start of next season. We have to sign a starting hooker, preferably a veteran like Reynolds, this off season. I'm not a Cook fan, but his history with Reynolds would be a massive asset. Alternatively an 80 minute hooker could also work. Then maybe we could play Gamble, rather than Walters/Paix off the bench.

Paix is also part of the problem. He's not working out.
I agree, the issue is about to become a thing I suspect. I’m not the biggest cook fan either but on a two year deal he at least makes us a top 4. This fucking position has been our Achilles heal for 15 fucking years.

I don’t know what the deal is the paix but he is definitely going backwards.

Could only hope honestly, I would even take Sam Verrils, not on the same money as Haas, but he's a decent 9, definitely better than any current options we have. I don't really rate Paix, Turpin, or Walters as 9, they're all just stop gaps IMO. Verrils is a decent player who we could use for 2 years while Mozer is hopefully groomed to take over if he even turns out to be any good.
The problem we have at 9 is none of them are BAD. They make tackles, pass the ball quickly, aren't error prone, have good attitudes, and generally give 100%. It's only when you set your aim higher you start to nitpick. Turpin is ahead of the curve on the other two. We can all see his shortcomings now, but the coach naming him to start against the Roosters suggests there's not a lot separating the three. It's reminiscent of when he was rotating halves. The solution was to get rid of them all. But Paix has another year, and Billy, well that's a can of worms none of us can predict.

Regardless of what happens with Billy and Paix, if Jake leaves as expected, surely they will have to enter the market for some pedigree of hooker.

Back on topic, yes, I'm fully down with exchanging ALL of Payne's money on strengthening our spine and proceeding with our remaining front row stocks, who in my opinion, are all good enough.

I don’t think Paix is going backwards, in fact I think his season was improving game on game until he got injured. Since then he’s tried to come back too early as the team needed him.

Having said that, I do think he is a bit on the fragile side which is also understandable as he played most of his footy as a half back. He has been building his body up but I don’t think he’s quite built for the rigours of defending in the middle just yet.

I agree, the issue is about to become a thing I suspect. I’m not the biggest cook fan either but on a two year deal he at least makes us a top 4. This fucking position has been our Achilles heal for 15 fucking years.

I don’t know what the deal is the paix but he is definitely going backwards.
I keep forgetting we actually do have another "hooker" cum half in Tyrone Roberts. He looked a lot better than any of us rated him against the Storm.

I don’t think Paix is going backwards, in fact I think his season was improving game on game until he got injured. Since then he’s tried to come back too early as the team needed him.

Having said that, I do think he is a bit on the fragile side which is also understandable as he played most of his footy as a half back. He has been building his body up but I don’t think he’s quite built for the rigours of defending in the middle just yet.
Whether or not he's going backwards, he's not leaping forwards with his opportunities, like we've seen with Selwyn, Te Maire, Ezra and Zac to name a few. Injuries and illness hasn't been kind to him, that's true, but you're on the clock every time you put on the jersey.

Yeah look it was probably harsh of me to say he’s gone backwards but after last season I had high hopes for him and he just seems to have stagnated.

Yeah look it was probably harsh of me to say he’s gone backwards but after last season I had high hopes for him and he just seems to have stagnated.
I think he was progressing well to start the year and would've been our starting hooker following the trials.

He's slowed down since the injury though and that has probably coincided with the general busted up nature of our squad during and following the origin series.

I keep forgetting we actually do have another "hooker" cum half in Tyrone Roberts. He looked a lot better than any of us rated him against the Storm.
Bro, did you watch the game he came off the bench at hooker?

Active Now

• mitch222
  • Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosgirl
  • thenry
  • Culhwch
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Wild Horse
  • bert_lifts
  • ChewThePhatt
  • LittleDavey
  • Brotherdu
  • Financeguy
  • Mr Fourex
  • Fitzy
  • Santa
  • Dash
  • MrMoore
  • Sanjit Joseph
  • Mister Wright
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.