Where has all the money gone?

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
draggx said:
Well i dont see how the NRL can count him as being under the cap. his retired Brisbane are just helping out someone who is now an "Ex-player"

In this current age of comebacks I can certainly see why they would.

Lance Armstrong
Michael Schumacher
Kim Clijsters
Justine Henin
Tonie Carroll
Brett Favre
Stacey Jones
Michael Jordan
Martina Hingis

I could literally go on and on. Granted those people didn't necessarily retire as a result of injury, but I doubt it matters.

Burg

Burg

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
Ari Gold said:
Burg said:
and this year already PJ Marsh (again, I think around $200-250k)

I could be wrong, but I got the impression that we were still going to pay PJ Marsh.

I don't think it would or should count towards the cap considering the player has retired, the club is just doing the right thing.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Until Thurston is officially signed elsewhere I am still hoping we will get him.
I base this on nothing else except the Broncs have always had the best player in the game and there must be a good reason to be hoarding the the cash.

B

Bannermania

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Dexter said:
Until Thurston is officially signed elsewhere I am still hoping we will get him.
I base this on nothing else except the Broncs have always had the best player in the game and there must be a good reason to be hoarding the the cash.

He's come out this week and said he will never play against the Cowboys, so that's an indication he is staying, but.. in saying that, loyalty doesn't count for much when you're being offered close to a million a season.

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
If we aren't signing Hannant because of the media focus it will bring then we are most certainly not signing Money Bill.

A

Aaron

Nov 4, 2009
Hannant wants 500k a year, F@#$ THAT! Not worth it....

''Now I've cemented myself as a first-grade footy player, clubs want you at the top of their cap,'' Hannant told the Herald. ''They see you as a marquee player. I don't have to worry about, 'Oh, we can't keep you because of the salary cap'. You're one of the five or six people they build a team around. That's where I think I am at the moment.''

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
Fairly poor on his part IMO. As far as I'm concerned the CEO should not comment on football matters. That article just reeks of Cullen trying to take the heat off himself.

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
Ari Gold said:
..."One of the most comforting things P.J. heard when he found it was over is the Broncos saying, 'Don't worry about money, worry about your health, we'll look after you'," Banaghan said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... public_rss

At least that's the impression I got from the bit above. Maybe they've found another way to give him money.

[/quote]

What I get from that statement is that the Broncos will take care of his medical bills and keep him employed in some capacity (development officer/promotions - something like that), but anything they pay him won't come out of the salary cap.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
"In an ideal scenario you'd have Corey Norman at fullback, (Jharal) Yow Yeh and (Denan) Kemp on the wings, Folau and Hodges in the centres, Lockyer at five-eighth, Wallace half, Parker, (Matt) Gillett and Thaiday in the back row, Kenny and Anderson at prop and (Andrew) McCullough hooker.

I like that team.

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
Aaron said:
Hannant wants 500k a year, F@#$ THAT! Not worth it....

''Now I've cemented myself as a first-grade footy player, clubs want you at the top of their cap,'' Hannant told the Herald. ''They see you as a marquee player. I don't have to worry about, 'Oh, we can't keep you because of the salary cap'. You're one of the five or six people they build a team around. That's where I think I am at the moment.''

Where does he say he wants 500k a year? If that is true he's kidding himself. There are only about 2 or 3 players in the game who MIGHT be worth that much and none of them are props. He also needs to be careful saying " don't have to worry about, 'Oh, we can't keep you because of the salary cap'. - does he not remember what happened when Civo's manager asked for more than we could give him under the cap and Civo was the best prop in the game at the time. While I like Rock don't mind players talking themselves up if they have the confidence (as long as the talk is backed up by on-field performance) they do still have to be a bit careful.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Fitzy
  • FACTHUNT
  • barker
  • Jedhead
  • Old Mate
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Santa
  • Big Del
  • bazza
  • Browny
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Locky24
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Wolfie
  • Manofoneway
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.