Where to From Here? Let's Plan for 2021...er...2025

Not sure where to put this but I really do think Haas should be considered for captain.
He's young, yes. He's not massively experienced, yes. He's not a spine player, yes.
But....
He's a leader on the field for us (chases dead balls harder then any prop I've ever seen)
He leads the drills at training from all reports
He appears to be disciplined off the field (ramadan)
He seems to love the club (took unders to stay)

I get he isn't the "leader personality", but what is a leader personality? Walters, tallis, lockyer, Lewis, miles were all COMPLETLY different on and off the field.

I thought he should have got a look in this year as well given carrigan got a look in anyway (justified also given our inexperience/poor experienced leadership) but now he has even more credibility in the discussion given he is really our only consistent origin player...

Plus Haas is a terrible defender, he doesn't lead on that side of the ball.

Just on Haas.. Obvious talent, KPI monster and built like goliath. I have a few questions about his mentality though and if he is really just a big teddy bear when it comes to winning games!? His comments about the Tino biffo in origin game 2 indicated to me that he may have some very big wraps on himself, which you kind of want in a player, you also want them to be hurting when they lose pretty much every game they play post lockdown, not clear if he has that, also you want them to be focused on the results of the team over their own individual stats. I could care less about Payne's KPI's but I do care that the Broncs win.

Just on Haas.. Obvious talent, KPI monster and built like goliath. I have a few questions about his mentality though and if he is really just a big teddy bear when it comes to winning games!? His comments about the Tino biffo in origin game 2 indicated to me that he may have some very big wraps on himself, which you kind of want in a player, you also want them to be hurting when they lose pretty much every game they play post lockdown, not clear if he has that, also you want them to be focused on the results of the team over their own individual stats. I could care less about Payne's KPI's but I do care that the Broncs win.
I was seeing someone who was very close to his girlfriend for a while this year. Can definitely say he hurts after games. Would often call her after games and was quite emotional.

Trust me, he's very unhappy about the state of the club and he's a competitor. You don't get to where he is physically without having an insane personal drive to be the best.

He doesn't have that raw aggression but he's still so damn young, and the Broncos were a disaster this year and his brother who he was very strongly attached to, passed away in August. He just needs a bit of a break and mental freshen up. He's had a hell of a shit year.

nah. we just need to concentrate on not burning him out while we work ourselves out.

giving him the captaincy, he doesn't need that extra layer of responsibility at this stage.
I agree with the not burning him out, but I would think that would be more due to playing 80 minutes each week......

Agreed, I wouldn't be playing Haas for 80 anymore. We need to retain Lodge and balance out their minutes so that they both aren't on at the same time.

Trust me, he's very unhappy about the state of the club and he's a competitor. You don't get to where he is physically without having an insane personal drive to be the best.

He doesn't have that raw aggression but he's still so damn young, and the Broncos were a disaster this year and his brother who he was very strongly attached to, passed away in August. He just needs a bit of a break and mental freshen up. He's had a hell of a shit year.
I'm no expert by any means, but if I've ever in my life seen a player who badly needed a decent rest and freshen up, then it's gotta be Payne Haas right now.

Last edited:
Still don't know what the club plans to do at fullback. Maybe we should target Widdop, better than nothing.

Walters should be trying to get Joey Manu from the Roosters. He is a weapon at 1, but just depends on if he prefers fullback to centre,, and I'm sure we could offer him more money than what he is getting at the moment.

More money than he is 'officially' getting but not more than he is actually getting.

Walters should be trying to get Joey Manu from the Roosters. He is a weapon at 1, but just depends on if he prefers fullback to centre,, and I'm sure we could offer him more money than what he is getting at the moment.
Love Manu as a player. Underrated.

Active Now

• Great white hope
  • Pablo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Alec
  • BroncoFan94
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.