Where to From Here? Let's Plan for 2021

Fergos on 500,000 a year cheaper than players on our bench and reserve grade... also if you read the post properly you'd know that i said i wouldn't bother with most of them or along those lines, and even if you took a little more notice you would realise all those names came from a article and I just simply gave some of the names worthwhile.

if we are trying to "fix" our culture Fergo is one of the last players you want at the club

would sign whare from that list instantly and consider giving fusitua a contract, would pass on the rest.

actually i'm basically echoing @BooKhaki's thoughts.

Last edited:
Yeah he has been solid. But he has also had a few really poor games defensively. He has it in him to be a long term option at left centre, but I don't think he is ready just yet.
Disagree, he rarely ever misses his tackle unless he gets put in a 2 on 1 situation, and he will actually trust the defender next to him to make their own tackle so they don't get overlaps (A massive problem for most of our outside backs), the problem lies in the fact we didn't have a defence worth trusting this season the 6 that's next to him almost always missed tackles or couldn't even slow the attacking player enough for him to support.

I think if you can get the defensive line to work at a first grade standard, his defensive qualities will become even more obvious.

Perfect, we have a rep winger we could trade with. Cya later Oates.
Fat chance anyone is going to want one of the wingers any team in the competition know exactly how to exploit with eaise.

Last edited:
Fat chance anyone is going to want one of the wingers any team in the competition know exactly how to exploit with eaise.
He played origin in 2019 and played well. People bagging Oates after 1 bad season, one in which he was injured for half of, have a really short memory.

The question is, who are we targeting for '22? They are the ones we sign in two weeks or so from now and then hope they get released early.

I’ve said it before but looking at our team list, their are some obvious deficiencies, but there’s also a lot of talent. I’m confident a semi-competent coach could scrape us into the top 10. Looking at the talent in the team it’s a testament to just how bad Seibold went. Injuries also obviously played a big part too.

Backs:
1. Desperate need of a fullback
2. Herbie
3. Staggs (need a reliable depth to cover)
4. Bird (if both fit an amazing centre combo)
5. Coates/someone who stays on their wing

Herbie is an asset and developing well. Decent defensive structures will hopefully allow him to stay on his wing. Coates has a lot of potential but looks terrible in defence. But every single player we had in the backs last year looked lost in defence so I don’t think we’ve yet got a good gauge of Coates. It has to be a Seibold structural issue. Staggs and Bird if fit (yeah yeah I know) is a rep quality centre pairing - potentially very good. We just need someone to cover for Staggs until he returns (and for Bird when he’s inevitably out for the season again). Fullback is one of the teams biggest glaring issues.

Halves:
6. Milford
7. Dearden

I don’t care what anyone says, even with his questionable work ethic, Milf is a top 8 half. A decent coach will have him playing as such. Might not ever win you a GF though. Dearden has potential. There are definitely worse half pairings getting around.

Forwards
8.Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. (Glenn)
12. TPJ
13. Carrigan

There’s a lot of talent there. We’ll have to see how lodge goes without carrying injury, and if he can adjust his body over the off season to better suit the faster game. Haas and TPJ are animals in their own ways, and Caragan is Mr Dependable. Turpin is good enough but you’d probably have one eye on the market if your Kev. Glenn will do for one more season. We need one or two smart signings to make our pick more balanced.

IMO fullback is the only position that we desperately need to address. The rest of the team should be able to make 8-10th even without making any changes.

don’t get me wrong, there absolutely should be changes made when the right options arrive but I think anything below 10th would be a failure with the current squad.

The only players I think we desperately need to move on is Oates and Offa.

Last edited:
cant understand the love for Dean Whare on here.....someone needs to explain it to me...

He is a defence only centre; he is incompatible with Kev's stated aim to get the Broncos playing like our finest teams...

he limits our attack to only one edge game after game.....too much pressure on a semi-broken Bird if indeed he plays centre to do the hole running, set up his winger etc..

Im not seeing it im sorry. Surely the way forward is to identify our 2 centres, keep them there all year (a big reason for our dreadful season this...) and teach them passable defence. Herbie, Staggs, Bird, Arthars......these guys have various levels of offensive production more aligned to what the coach wants....choose 2 and stick with them.

If it doesn't work out go to market in the 2021 off season.

Stephan Crichton is the guy you want to take a hard look at if you are interested in a Panthers backline player, enters last year of current contract next year, wants to be a fullback...

cant understand the love for Dean Whare on here.....someone needs to explain it to me...

He is a defence only centre; he is incompatible with Kev's stated aim to get the Broncos playing like our finest teams...

he limits our attack to only one edge game after game.....too much pressure on a semi-broken Bird if indeed he plays centre to do the hole running, set up his winger etc..

Im not seeing it im sorry. Surely the way forward is to identify our 2 centres, keep them there all year (a big reason for our dreadful season this...) and teach them passable defence. Herbie, Staggs, Bird, Arthars......these guys have various levels of offensive production more aligned to what the coach wants....choose 2 and stick with them.

If it doesn't work out go to market in the 2021 off season.

Stephan Crichton is the guy you want to take a hard look at if you are interested in a Panthers backline player, enters last year of current contract next year, wants to be a fullback...

In Seibold’s defence (🤢) injuries and suspensions this year made it almost impossible to have players consistently lining up in the one position. The guy got rammed with injuries.

Not saying you thought otherwise but I feel like some of us forget this fact at times.

Dobbo's little spiel on triple m this morning: continued the theme that Glenn won't be captain next year and strongly suggested it won't be carrigan either. Dave will 100% be next CEO.

The interesting one he hinted to harry grant not certain on his next moved. Suggested that if Smith plays on he's not guaranteed to go back to tigers. Said he has some very very strong links to people in Brisbane and left it at that.

good, Glenn is not a good captain and Carrigan is too young and probably too quiet, probably because he’s young. Honestly the only choice left is Milf, who knows maybe it’s the final thing to finally sort him out, there is no way he rocks up fat if he’s captain......

Dobbo's little spiel on triple m this morning: continued the theme that Glenn won't be captain next year and strongly suggested it won't be carrigan either. Dave will 100% be next CEO.

The interesting one he hinted to harry grant not certain on his next moved. Suggested that if Smith plays on he's not guaranteed to go back to tigers. Said he has some very very strong links to people in Brisbane and left it at that.

He's speculating re: Grant. Don't read too much into it. I'm thinking after delivering a wooden spoon season, it's going to take big money to lure Grant up here. I would be in his ear right now offering him every dollar of Boyd's former contract. 700-800k is just about all I would be willing to offer him right now anyway.

He's speculating re: Grant. Don't read too much into it. I'm thinking after delivering a wooden spoon season, it's going to take big money to lure Grant up here. I would be in his ear right now offering him every dollar of Boyd's former contract. 700-800k is just about all I would be willing to offer him right now anyway.

amortise that money though across 10 years (which is how you must look at a acquisition like Grant) and it is money very well spent.

The difference between Grant and the next young up and comer hooker is daylight. Even Grant doesn't realise how good he is right now...

Franchise signing.....even if the chances are 10% you take it....in his prime he will attract stud players to come and play alongside him...

And yes, leveraging family and city ties to him is absolutely a tactic you take to get the deal done...what a enormous statement signing that would be..

And then Cameron Smith retires....

Although players available for next year is slim, Looking at players that are off contract after 2021, there is some talent there.

I think right now Grant is a pipe dream.

If CS9 plays on it's only going to be for 1 more year at which point the storm will need a new hooker to build around.

I think it's very very likely that storm plan to build around Grant and they would let him know that so you'd think he'd be willing to hang around for 12 months, learn from CS9 and then take the reins from 2022 onwards.

The person that is left in the clouds is B Smith... next year he's either 3rd in line behind CS9 and Harry or back up to Harry... and it's well known he wants to be a hooker.

I think regardless of Cam's decision he'll leave and we'll miss the boat if we're wasting time going after Harry.

I'd say titans, dogs and warriors will all be going hard for BSmith and Harry

Active Now

• jarro65
  • Xzei
  • BroncosAlways
  • Skathen
  • Johnny92
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Wolfie
  • bb_gun
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Foordy
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Jazza
  • Broncosarethebest
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncosgirl
  • GCBRONCO
  • RolledOates
  • Waynesaurus
  • ivanhungryjak
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.