Who is the best fullback of the NRL era?

Best Fullback of NRL era?

• Brett Hodgson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kaylon Ponga

• Brett Hodgson

• Matty Bowen

• Latrell Mitchell

• Dylan Edwards

• Brett Stewart

• Rhys Wesser

• Clint Schifcoske

• Valentine Holmes

• Luke Patton

• Other (mention in comments)

• Total voters
Locky, Billy then i put Mini. I dont think Turbo has done enough in his career yet to be in the equation. Hayne didnt do it consistently. I kind of felt it was either between Mini or Stewart and i just gave Mini the nod.

1.) Lockyer without him you don't get 2.) Slater.....then 3.) Inglis. Could have gone Tedesco, but I think Turbo is better than Teddy, but for his injuries. So by elimination Inglis. If he'd have played his whole career there he'd be in the discussion with Lockyer and Slater for best all time.

Disappointed Hodges isn't at least on the list tbh.

Locky, Billy then i put Mini. I dont think Turbo has done enough in his career yet to be in the equation. Hayne didnt do it consistently. I kind of felt it was either between Mini or Stewart and i just gave Mini the nod.
Mini made Joey look good in that 2005 series and should have got the best on ground, I will die on this hill.

Right off the top, this idea that Lockyer and Slater invented the ball-playing fullback seriously needs to be addressed. At the very least Clive Churchill was already playing that style and you can go back to the early days and watch Brentnall and Gurr play that role for NSW.

Even at the Broncos, Lockyer came off the back of O'Neil who really was fantastic for the Broncos in 92-93.

Lockyer may have been the greatest ever in that position but fans seem to forget the early rap on him was how similar he was to Graeme Langlands.

I can't go past Billy. 15 quality seasons (16 had it not been for Manu) and right as it appeared teams had found an achilles heel he'd work on his game and continue to dominate the position. I certainly didn't think he'd have the longevity he did in the game, but the way he was able to work on his skill-set and become a quality playmaker is a real testament to him.

As a player what stood out to me was his ability to compete. You never felt safe with Slater on the field as you were always one cross-field kick or chip kick away from getting your heart-broken. Even in defence, some of the plays he made on players like Watmough at Origin or Hannant in the finals was just amazing.

Does anyone remember that reality TV show where they brought in all the best athletes in Australia and had them compete against one another? It would have been about 10-15 years ago but I just remember being in awe of him watching that. He took it out from memory as well.

Right off the top, this idea that Lockyer and Slater invented the ball-playing fullback seriously needs to be addressed. At the very least Clive Churchill was already playing that style and you can go back to the early days and watch Brentnall and Gurr play that role for NSW.

Even at the Broncos, Lockyer came off the back of O'Neil who really was fantastic for the Broncos in 92-93.

Lockyer may have been the greatest ever in that position but fans seem to forget the early rap on him was how similar he was to Graeme Langlands.

I can't go past Billy. 15 quality seasons (16 had it not been for Manu) and right as it appeared teams had found an achilles heel he'd work on his game and continue to dominate the position. I certainly didn't think he'd have the longevity he did in the game, but the way he was able to work on his skill-set and become a quality playmaker is a real testament to him.

As a player what stood out to me was his ability to compete. You never felt safe with Slater on the field as you were always one cross-field kick or chip kick away from getting your heart-broken. Even in defence, some of the plays he made on players like Watmough at Origin or Hannant in the finals was just amazing.

Does anyone remember that reality TV show where they brought in all the best athletes in Australia and had them compete against one another? It would have been about 10-15 years ago but I just remember being in awe of him watching that. He took it out from memory as well.
Pretty sure he won the show 2 years in a row

Lockyer, Slater, Stewart.

A flying Brett Stewart was a joy to watch when he was in his prime. The other two were the best of the NRL era, though.

Slater for mine.

Offensively Lockyer matches him, but defensively Slater was one of the best.

As a player what stood out to me was his ability to compete. You never felt safe with Slater on the field as you were always one cross-field kick or chip kick away from getting your heart-broken. Even in defence, some of the plays he made on players like Watmough at Origin or Hannant in the finals was just Right off the top, this idea that Lockyer and Slater invented the ball-playing fullback seriously needs to be addressed. At the very least Clive Churchill was already playing that style and you can go back to the early days and watch Brentnall and Gurr play that role for NSW.

How Dare You Greta GIF

Julian o‘Neil set fire to a dwarf in a dolphin costume……then escaped the scene of the crime by jumping off the boat and swimming away to shore. Also I believe he once chose to urinate under a blackjack table rather than leave it. Immortal rl player all day.

Slater
Lockyer
And I genuinely can't choose, so I went with RTS.

Slater pips The Goat as a fullback, purely because of Lockyer's shift into the halves, depriving us of seeing how his career would have panned out if he'd remained in the 1. As others have said, I think you can remove the likes of Hayne and Turbo etc due to a lack of consistency. Special mention to prime Boyd, Mini, Inglis and Stewart.

Spot on.

Everyone talks about Thurston's competitiveness and rightfully so, but I've never seen a more competitive player than Slater. Just a total nightmare to play against for the full 80 minutes and he couldn't even get tackled without trying to get back at the defender somehow lmao. Almost had a screw loose the way he had to get the better of every exchange. And I think he won that show every season he was on, and it wasn't close.

Yes I remember watching it with my son [a huge Slater fan ] and I was in awe of his athleticism .
He won by a country mile .
The way he developed catching kicks at full speed and rarely letting the ball hit the turf was a feature that impressed me . But the amount of penalties he won for the Storm used to piss me right off !

Active Now

• Fozz
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Broncosgirl
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Wolfie
  • Santa
  • Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • Sproj
  • Painin the Haas
  • Culhwch
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Griffo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.