Who is the NRL's best referee?

• Thread starter Blindside Bronco
  • Start date
Let's see...

Gavin Badger - I still remember poor Badger in his rookie season getting run over by Carl Webb in one game and being in the middle of that Danny Williams dog shot not long after. The guy looked like a deer in the headlights on both occasions. He's really come along way and I can't remember any howlers.

Matt Cecchin - Is the people's choice because he lets stuff go and comes up with some very strategic penalties to balance things out. Has some powerful allies in the Rugby League media constantly pushing him as the best and how it's a great injustice the Sutton family disagrees.

Ben Cummins - Is the Judge Judy of the NRL referees, makes his mind up on a team and only referees that way. If he was consistent he'd actually be a decent referee because he can be perceptive but he gets a bee in his bonnet and just drags the game down with him.

Ashley Klein - Is the Bill Harrigan of modern referees, Ash can't just go with the flow, he has to inform you that he is in fact refereeing the game and will come up with some absolutely crazy calls. To his credit, sometimes he gets it right and he's a genius, other times though it's some of the most baffling refereeing and it just about destroys the game. I have no idea how he lasted after the 2008 World Cup let alone the 2013 State of Origin series. The no punch rule is because he didn't have the gumption to make the right call.

Henry Perenara - I love how he signals for tries, it's one of my favourite little touches in the game. However he seems to get overwhelmed really quickly and misses things and has to make up calls on the spot.

Gerard Sutton - Is a media puppet who will coach whatever way the media dictates. Too many penalties? Okay Gerard will oblige and put the whistle away. Too much wrestling? Here comes some soft penalties at opportune times. He's so transparent in his refereeing but will swallow his whistle when a big call has to be made. At one point he was the best referee in his game, but then Klemmer got in his face and ever since he just does what he's told.

Most of the referees honestly aren't that bad, it's usually the video referees who muck it up.

My vote is for NOT Ben Cummins. He enjoyed that Eels game way to much, and even a lopsided scoreline didn't stop him from giving Eels all the rub of the green.

Last edited:
Atkins after one game may have cemented his spot on top of the pack.

A pretty fiery game and he handled everything well.

Atkins after one game may have cemented his spot on top of the pack.

A pretty fiery game and he handled everything well.

and if he keeps performing well, he may actually get origin or finals games this year ... since Sutton (ref's boss one) is no longer in charge of match appointments

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Cavalo
  • theshed
  • Organix
  • broncsgoat
  • kman
  • eggstar10
  • Santa
  • Old Mate
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncorob
  • Johnny92
  • Brocko
  • Justwin
  • winslow_wong
  • FACTHUNT
  • Big Del
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Xzei
  • Strop
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.