Who should be our coach in 2014?

Who should coach the Brisbane Broncos in 2014?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We've seen it time and time again, club's struggle to respond after their 'great' player leaves and I believe the Broncos are just another example.

Because instead of stepping up they left it up to Lockyer, or if they did step up & 'failed', they went into their shell & did stuff all.

I never bought into the first game of the year, stuff. Sometimes it's true, most times it's not.

Case in point: 2006. If you follow that theory, Bennett is gone and Henjak is promoted very early.

That's basically it Kaz - that and the guy that they had made the protege (much like Langer was to Lewis, Lockyer was to Langer etc.) packed his bags.

Re: Darren Lockyer

Hi just clocked on and been away for a couple of days - just read in the online courier that Kev Walters has signed a 1 year deal with the knights to be halves coach 2 to 3 days a week - they are saying this leaves door open for Kev to be pulled into qld team coaching but my mind says Benny will be back at Broncos next year as head of coaching with Kev as coach - sounds good but what do you think!!!!!!!!!!

I am extremely reluctant to give Hook another chance, but seeing as this coming season is considered by many to be just the stopgap year before Milford's arrival and nothing more, perhaps the club should take that attitude by the horns and use this year to experiment with player positioning, on field strategies, fitness and also coaching.

I was actually pretty impressed with the decision making of Griffin towards the back-end of last season, he's made some great changes and signings in the off-season, such as a new fitness coach etc.

I'm sure some of our faults last year were Griffin related, but he worked pretty hard to fix what he could with the tools he had.

I'm willing to give him 2014 to see if he's turned a leaf :)

I'm going to give Hook another year .... if only to see if he can actually give us something more than was dished up last season.

By all accounts we should now be able to remove the players lack of fitness as an excuse, so now it all gets down purely to onfield talent, and gameplans.

Let's see what you got Hook !

Ivan was in a similar place to him now when he was sacked but Griffin deserves the benifit of the doubt he has earned that, plus he might be on the right track, the loyalty of the players show that. however if we dont start well I can't see him finishing off the year

My crticism of Hook is he appears to pick the wrong supporting cast. IE The previous fitness guru and Steve Kearney.
One is gone and i would like the other gone also

My crticism of Hook is he appears to pick the wrong supporting cast. IE The previous fitness guru and Steve Kearney.
One is gone and i would like the other gone also

Guilfoyle was brought to the club in 2008.

I can tell you from first hand info that Hook did want to make those changes towards the back end of last season - he was told to by Gee and above - he was told about half way during the season after Norman signed with the Eels but was stubborn in doing so until he was told in no uncertain terms to WAKE UP OR SHIP OUT
Really Hook has no understanding of how to handle the interchange bench - he wastes 3 to 4 minimum interchanges every match by not thinking things through clearly - therefore does not give the interchange players enough game time so when needed they can play 40 minutes instead of being buggered after 10 - this shortcoming was a major factor IMO for the team being stuffed in the last 20 minutes
He also has no imagination when it comes to attack and a different game plan depending on who you are playing - boring same old same old
He obviously has the reins for 2014 but if he does not get this team with this talent into the top 5 he should go and then get Benny and Kevie back to run the joint in 2015

Get Benny and Kev back anyway on second thoughts and you are right - Kearney is about as useful as tits on a bull

It is so fucked up to see Benny and kev working together at another club, whilst we are stuck with a goofy half wit

Attack is an issue. we just seem to probe until they oppostion makes an mistake which teams like the storm and manly will never do.

Guilfoyle was brought to the club in 2008.
I understand that with the way he inherited the job that sacking Guilfoyle was not plausible the first year but he still stuckwith him another couple of years.
Maybe Guilfoyle changed the training but they sure looked out on their feet the last couple of years at the end of games

Hard to get excited abouy the coming season with this nitwit still running the show, I just don't understand how he still has a job, it really shows the sorry depths this organisation has sunk to since Benny's departure. This season won't be any better than the last, If the Broncs aren't top 4 by SOO 1, then a change needs to be made. One thing for sure, things aren't going to end well for Hook.

I don't think Griffin can ever be anything more than "solid" at best. He's just Wayne Bennett, "the not so good version". Even if he doesn't dud it up like for the past 2 years, I'd still be looking at getting someone better, just like we got Edwards and Corvo. As the richest and most powerful club in the NRL, we shouldn't settle for mediocrity.

The better question would be, "Is Hook's future secure?" which would have to be an overwhelming cry of 'no'.

However, the idea of deciding to punt Hook right now and to bring in a replace really doesn't do anybody any favours. If the decision is made, hopefully it's around about May so management has enough time to court a genuine premiership winning coach and we can move on.

By no means have the boys performed to their utmost potential, but I believe it's fair to say he didn't exactly inherit the best hand either. We've seen it time and time again, club's struggle to respond after their 'great' player leaves and I believe the Broncos are just another example.

Last edited:

Not sure of this so called potential u speak of. Potential for what? Top 8? Top 4? Premiership? Surely not. Many of these guys have already played their best footy and are winding down, others just aren't very good. Sacking Hook isn't going to instantly change results but it is a damn good start. On paper this team might finish as high as sixth despite all the potential that u think is there.

Active Now

• Nerd
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Strop
  • Skathen
  • Stix
  • Alec
  • Bucking Beads
  • Battler
  • Xzei
  • Mister Wright
  • GCBRONCO
  • broncos4life
  • abashii
  • FACTHUNT
  • Old Mate
  • marw
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.