Who'll be our enforcer?

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
With all these new rugged forwards coming through and Sammy having only one season left I'm wondering who you think is most suited as taking over the 'enforcer' mantle. Whoever does almost guarantees himself a starting berth. Moose can be pretty solid Sims I think is too submissive, TPG has not shown any signs either. Lodge may be an obvious choice but I think he'll be more focused on keeping himself stable and out of trouble.

You don't think Lodge might baulk at this seeing as it's his first season with the Broncos?
I'm almost certain that he has been brought in for this exact type of role. It would be unproductive to baulk at it.

When was the last time we actually had an enforcer?
I can’t really remember any in the last few years

I'm not sure what your definition of an enforcer is if McGuire isn't one. Did you not watch origin 2 and 3 last year? He's a gun boxer with one eye and obviously a few screws loose, just because he isn't tall doesn't mean he doesn't scare the shit out of the opposition..

Lodge will add to this but I'm not sure that'll be his focus due to the circumstances behind his "suspension"... bird is a nuicance to opposition (hodges style), and TPJ hopefully stands up more as well. Sims isn't bad in this department but he ain't great either lol. I really like ofa but he will have to be extremely consistent to keep a bench spot for mine because the bench could do with a real scary bastard coming on if TPJ is still focused on flair...

I don't think we need one single enforcer as such but I want opposition teams to hate playing us because we are pricks. It's why I applaud the decision to buy bird so much. He's a pest to great players, he loves getting in the faces of Thurston and the like. It won't win us every game but it will mean for the first time in years that the storm and cowboys may not look forward to playing us. It doesn't win origin (as someone pointed out to me last time as if it was somehow relevant) but probably 90% of premiers have a team full of relentless-pestering-niggling pricks....

I'm not sure what your definition of an enforcer is if McGuire isn't one. Did you not watch origin 2 and 3 last year? He's a gun boxer with one eye and obviously a few screws loose, just because he isn't tall doesn't mean he doesn't scare the shit out of the opposition..

Lodge will add to this but I'm not sure that'll be his focus due to the circumstances behind his "suspension"... bird is a nuicance to opposition (hodges style), and TPJ hopefully stands up more as well. Sims isn't bad in this department but he ain't great either lol. I really like ofa but he will have to be extremely consistent to keep a bench spot for mine because the bench could do with a real scary bastard coming on if TPJ is still focused on flair...

I don't think we need one single enforcer as such but I want opposition teams to hate playing us because we are pricks. It's why I applaud the decision to buy bird so much. He's a pest to great players, he loves getting in the faces of Thurston and the like. It won't win us every game but it will mean for the first time in years that the storm and cowboys may not look forward to playing us. It doesn't win origin (as someone pointed out to me last time as if it was somehow relevant) but probably 90% of premiers have a team full of relentless-pestering-niggling pricks....

McGuire can’t physically dominate an opposition, he plays with aggression and will be in the battle all day but he’s a little small to be a true enforcer.

Are we talking about Jack Bird here? I’ve never seen the niggling side of his game before

The current rules of the game have made the enforcer obsolete just like the goons in [emoji969] have disappeared. This post reminds of how the media always talk up Origin every year with the potential of "the Biff". It never ever happens. Modern day rules suggest that the consequences for punching, high tackles, lifting, even verbal abuse are too severe and the role of the enforcer doesn't even exist anymore.

lodge isnt a bash em up type

giphy.gif

McGuire can’t physically dominate an opposition, he plays with aggression and will be in the battle all day but he’s a little small to be a true enforcer.

Are we talking about Jack Bird here? I’ve never seen the niggling side of his game before
size is a bonus but it has nothing to do with being a true enforcer, it's an aggressive mindset and never taking a backwards step, a bloke with some screws loose most of the time... Was Tallis not a bigger enforcer then thorn? McGuire "enforced" his way all over the biggest guy on the field in origin last year. "The axe"? Luke O'Donnell and mick Crocker scared the shit of oppositions. No one touched Lockyer with tonnie Carroll beside him. The list goes on and on with players who were smaller or equal to mcguires size who were legendary tough men/enforcers in their era. Sometimes it's a benefit, big guys can be powder puffs sometimes because they are big (eg Burgess twins) and don't need to be aggressive to a degree. Little forwards want to prove themselves every minute if they are psycho.

And yes.... I was talking about jack bird. The only bird in our team. He's among the most pestering-niggling players in the game, hence why everyone states that he is super competitive.

The current rules of the game have made the enforcer obsolete just like the goons in [emoji969] have disappeared. This post reminds of how the media always talk up Origin every year with the potential of "the Biff". It never ever happens. Modern day rules suggest that the consequences for punching, high tackles, lifting, even verbal abuse are too severe and the role of the enforcer doesn't even exist anymore.
Couldn't agree more. Players who couldn't punch their way of a plastic bag give it to players with golden gloves these days... could you imagine slater, Maloney or josh Reynolds doing their little "extras" in the 70's or 80's..

Really?
Before signing with us I couldn't stand the little prick, every game you can see he's an arrogant pest.
Exactly what we need though.

Active Now

• pennywisealfie
  • bert_lifts
  • lynx000
  • LittleDavey
  • Big Del
  • leish107
  • ettybay
  • winslow_wong
  • bb_gun
  • Gaz
  • Dexter
  • Broncosgirl
  • Skyblues87
  • BruiserMk1
  • Santa
  • Foordy
  • Rambstien
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • Reds2011
  • Scdeac
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.