Who'll be our enforcer?

The current rules of the game have made the enforcer obsolete just like the goons in [emoji969] have disappeared. This post reminds of how the media always talk up Origin every year with the potential of "the Biff". It never ever happens. Modern day rules suggest that the consequences for punching, high tackles, lifting, even verbal abuse are too severe and the role of the enforcer doesn't even exist anymore.
Sadly you've hit the nail on the head. Intimidation is the only thing going for an enforcer type player these days, someone who has a massive legal hit on them. I don't think you've got to be the biggest player on the field to get that respect either. I think Gillet is one of the most solid tacklers in our team

size is a bonus but it has nothing to do with being a true enforcer, it's an aggressive mindset and never taking a backwards step, a bloke with some screws loose most of the time... Was Tallis not a bigger enforcer then thorn? McGuire "enforced" his way all over the biggest guy on the field in origin last year. "The axe"? Luke O'Donnell and mick Crocker scared the shit of oppositions. No one touched Lockyer with tonnie Carroll beside him. The list goes on and on with players who were smaller or equal to mcguires size who were legendary tough men/enforcers in their era. Sometimes it's a benefit, big guys can be powder puffs sometimes because they are big (eg Burgess twins) and don't need to be aggressive to a degree. Little forwards want to prove themselves every minute if they are psycho.

And yes.... I was talking about jack bird. The only bird in our team. He's among the most pestering-niggling players in the game, hence why everyone states that he is super competitive.

I’m not saying size is everything, but it’s how you use it. McGuire is aggressive no one can deny that but he doesn’t dominate people enough to have a true enforcer title. I’m not saying McGuire can’t be our enforcer either I’m just saying he hasn’t really been that yet.
Adam Blair wasn’t the biggest guy on our team but he was more of an enforcer then McGuire was.

Really?
Before signing with us I couldn't stand the little prick, every game you can see he's an arrogant pest.
Exactly what we need though.

Yeah not saying he doesn’t have it in him, I just hadn’t seen it.
That probably comes down to the fact that I can’t stand watching a game featuring those drug cheating *****.

Yeh when Tunza tackled you could hear it in the stands. Tallis was another obvious enforcer as was Gilly. Thorn definetly intimidated with his aggression but was too fair to be an enforcer. Gaven Allen always made ball carriers uneasy as did Peter Ryan. Big Petro also intimidated but was too nice a guy to be classed as a real enforcer I think.

Just for clarity of definition. Who do we count as the games too enforcers today?

The last real enforcer I can think of was Sam Burgess a few years ago.

Taumalolo is obviously one of the most dominating players in the game, but he isn’t aggressive outside of being hard to tackle. People don’t fear his personality.

I can’t imagine many players wanting to run at or tackle Lodge.

Yeh when Tunza tackled you could hear it in the stands. Tallis was another obvious enforcer as was Gilly. Thorn definetly intimidated with his aggression but was too fair to be an enforcer. Gaven Allen always made ball carriers uneasy as did Peter Ryan. Big Petro also intimidated but was too nice a guy to be classed as a real enforcer I think.

another one i thought of was when costigan first came into grade at the club. that kid was like a wrecking ball and folded blokes in half.
his defense used to frighten opposition players.
crocker was also one of that enforcer mould just through sheer toughness and madness, no fear.
opposition halves and players definite look at team sheets and see if their is a tallis, tunza costigan, crocker type in the team.

Tapau, graham, s burgess, klemmer, jwh, Napa (once a year) and wait for it..... McGuire (the fact he was the main enforcer for Australia during the World Cup and won player of the series in origin playing this role highlights how absurd it is to say we don't have one).... but none of them are consistent or extremely intimidating (due to the one punch rule)...

Notice that the cowboys, sharks or storm (the last 3 premiers) don't have any on my list? Like I said, it's not about being enforcers (due to the one punch rule), it's about holding your ground and being annoying pests (putting the opposition off without risk of retaliation these days)

Notice that the cowboys, sharks or storm (the last 3 premiers) don't have any on my list? Like I said, it's not about being enforcers (due to the one punch rule), it's about holding your ground and being annoying pests (putting the opposition off without risk of retaliation these days)
I would suggest that wade graham shows very physical defence at times can remember him putting on a hit against glenn. Similar to matty g when he comes out of the line to put a shot on the opposing second rower before they get to the half.

It's a form of intimidation whereby if you go too close to the line or telegraph the play they'll come out and belt you.

The big shots nowadays are those front on chest shots they do... Brown cleaned up Napa with probably hit of the year in a similar fashion

I can’t imagine many players wanting to run at or tackle Lodge.
I could envision they all want to because forwards like to get the edge up on others. Dominate the other

Sims. For me an enforcer is what they do in defence. Pressuring kickers, smashing blokes who try to sneak through the middle.

He hasn't been used as a workhorse by Bennett but he is capable of it (he was a 30-35 tackle, 10-12 run player at the Knights). But he's only young and that amount of work probably blunts his effectiveness. At the moment, Sims has players looking up to see where he is in the line, because he hurts when he hits you.

Sims. For me an enforcer is what they do in defence. Pressuring kickers, smashing blokes who try to sneak through the middle.

He hasn't been used as a workhorse by Bennett but he is capable of it (he was a 30-35 tackle, 10-12 run player at the Knights). But he's only young and that amount of work probably blunts his effectiveness. At the moment, Sims has players looking up to see where he is in the line, because he hurts when he hits you.

I honestly think Sims would be best used off the bench. Sims has real impact in him with he’s hard explosive runs and solid defence. He can’t punch out much minutes and isn’t a work horse that you need to wear your opponents down early on.

I honestly think Sims would be best used off the bench. Sims has real impact in him with he’s hard explosive runs and solid defence. He can’t punch out much minutes and isn’t a work horse that you need to wear your opponents down early on.

HIS* !!! This again?!
But I disagree with this post.. Sims showed last year what he can do as a starter. He'll play the same role Blaire played for us just with better metres. He hits hard, he pressures opposition halves and is good for a little niggle. He also has a great up standing offload similar to players like woods and Inglis. Hard to tackle. Hits good lines. We'll have a really skillful and tough hitting starting front row and I'm excited about it

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • BruiserMk1
  • Skyblues87
  • bb_gun
  • Santa
  • bert_lifts
  • winslow_wong
  • LittleDavey
  • lynx000
  • Foordy
  • Rambstien
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • Reds2011
  • Scdeac
  • sooticus
  • Dexter
  • Xzei
  • Big Del
  • HarryAllan7
  • Manofoneway
... and 19 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.