Why Bellamy doesn't coach the Broncos

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Bennett bellamy 1t96ossbuh1d1jtnc1xkq4g9l

Wayne Bennett reveals how his plan for Craig Bellamy to take over the Broncos failed

September 21, 2017

WAYNE Bennett has revealed how his coaching succession plan for Brisbane unravelled, claiming club bosses sensationally botched high-level talks to bring Craig Bellamy back to the Broncos.

On the eve of tonight’s Broncos-Storm grand-final qualifier at AAMI Park, Bennett opened up about his 20-year relationship with Bellamy amid speculation there is bad blood between the pair.

Bellamy has enjoyed a remarkable 14-year reign in Melbourne, cultivating an NRL dynasty in AFL heartland.

But if Bennett had his way, the Storm super coach would have succeeded him at Red Hill.

Bennett first hired Bellamy as his assistant in 1998, grooming his apprentice to one day take charge of the Broncos.

When Bennett left to join the Dragons for the 2009 season, he hoped Bellamy would be installed as his successor when the Storm coach held secret talks with Broncos hierarchy.

But Bellamy’s planned return fell apart when he was offended in negotiations by Brisbane’s perceived arrogance that they were a superior club to the Storm.

Bellamy inked a $2.5 million, five-year extension with a Storm club that has since become the powerhouse of the NRL, with Bennett admitting his former right-hand man has turned his back on Brisbane.

“I always thought Craig should have coached the Broncos,” Bennett said. “It just won’t happen now. Craig will never coach the Broncos.

“To be honest, he should have coached them after I left, but the Broncos blew that one.

“I would have liked to have seen Craig coach the Broncos after me and he would have been a long-term success, but he’s made his mark in Melbourne now.

“When I left in 2008, it (Bellamy taking over) was a real chance of happening and it should have happened. Craig was apparently keen to come back, but unfortunately the interview never went that great and he moved on.”

Bennett and Bellamy’s friendship reached breaking point three years ago when Alex McKinnon, playing for Bennett’s Newcastle side, suffered a career-ending broken neck against the Storm.

Bennett has been a long-time critic of Melbourne’s wrestling tactics, with each public barb viewed as an erosion of his ties with Bellamy.

The Broncos coach insists there is no toxic rift — they caught up at a 50th birthday party for Broncos trainer Alex Corvo earlier this year — but Bennett says he won’t be gagged on Melbourne’s defensive tactics.

“There’s no feud between us,” he said. “Look, I will say this — we are highly competitive people. I respect what he has done and I’m sure he feels the same about me.

“When it comes to game time, he wants to win and I want to win. There is that rivalry, but I can honestly say we don’t have a problem.

“Are we highly competitive? Absolutely we are. I’d call it competitive tension. But I actually saw Craig two months ago and it was good to see him, it was like the old days when we were together at the Broncos.

“People talk about our relationship because of the wrestle but I’m entitled to my opinion on that. I know Craig would have the shits over what I’ve said, but that’s OK, that’s the way I feel. I’m honest.

“But outside the competitive environment of the NRL, we still have a strong relationship. Craig has done a wonderful job down there. He made a good choice going to Melbourne.”

Source: Courier Mail

I for one would've loved Bellamy to take over, I know others feel differently but Bellamy would've kept us from falling off the perch as we did when Bennett left.

I would throw the house at him if Bennett ever retired, as unlikely as it would be that he would come here (and that Bennett will retire lol), he would far and away be my first choice. They're just better at wrestling than we are, but if we were the best, would we give a shit about others complaining? Do we give a shit now about all the complaints about favouritism and salary cap cheating and the friday night broncos? nah.

I am glad Bellamy is never going to coach the Broncos. As far as I'm concerned he was in charge when the Storm rorted the salary cap over many years, he was in charge when they introduced the chicken wing tackle, the grapple, crusher tackle & other tackling techniques that have since been outlawed. His coaching techniques are so machine-like that players who go to other clubs look like "flops" at their new club's eg Adam Blair at West Tigers, Ben Hampton at NQ Cowboys, Will Chambers to Rugby, Ryan Hoffman to Warriors while somehow he can make superstars out of "has-beens". There is something definitely dodgy about his ethics & methods that the Broncos don't need nor would they want to be tainted with IMO.

I'd have been glad if Bellamy had taken over in 2009, but not any more. He has made a life down in Melbourne and built a great team. We'd be paying for both past success and promised glory that is not guaranteed in the least because the players, recruitment and play style are completely different. Add to that the fortune you'd have to pay him to leave and uproot everything he has set up and it would seem ridiculous to even try. Yes, he could try to clone the Melbourne way up here, but without Cronk, smith and slater, with an educated and pationate fan base, used to a certain style of attacking football, and most importantly a lot of people, happy to death ride him to football coaching oblivion for any perceived failure.
Pretty much exactly what Bennet faced when he came back.

NRL Dynasty = 1 premiership? Ok..

The bloke has done nothing positive for the game. Melbourne still hasn't produced a superstar player and having three of the best current players would make any coach look good. Until he does something without them he is a massive failure as a coach and is a huge blight on our game.

Another thing that Bruno stuffed up???

I'd take Voldemort as coach if it meant skipping the Henjac/Griffin years.

In the end I am super glad we have Bennett now. If JD is going to be poached by Titans then I wonder what we'd do succession wise.

In the end I am super glad we have Bennett now. If JD is going to be poached by Titans then I wonder what we'd do succession wise.

They should be looking at Paul Green and Kevin Walters.

Kevvie Walters is the succession plan still I think.

Kevvie Walters is the succession plan still I think.
He was .... but rumour has it that JD is now the front runner (should he do the smart thing and stay away from the Titans)

In my opinion, it's between Green and Walters (and Demetriou obviously), I'd. Be over the moon with either.

In my opinion, it's between Green and Walters (and Demetriou obviously), I'd. Be over the moon with either.

Lmao just imagine us getting Green after he signed JT13 to a 10 year deal. If Green goes I can see the Cows falling apart big time.

I wouldn't rule out Bellamy tho, he'll either retire or sound us out after Smith retires. Talk about how good he is with journeymen all you want, but he's nothing without Smith: he'll want to retire on 'top' or come to a club with the resources we have. I mean, it'd be good for our roster and TPAs because people legitimately think he's a super coach, but I'd prefer someone like Green.

Bellamy might not be around in another 10 years if he keeps coaching, he is every chance of his head (or heart) exploding the way he gets all worked up during the games. It can't be good for you.

Bellamy might not be around in another 10 years if he keeps coaching, he is every chance of his head (or heart) exploding the way he gets all worked up during the games. It can't be good for you.

I'm waiting for the day he has a coronary/heart attack or stroke

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • Bucking Beads
  • BroncsNBundy
  • maddo
  • Porthoz
  • Bish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.