NEWS Why Broncos coach blames himself for ruining Walsh’s Dally M dream

BHQArticleImageReeceWalsh5L

Broncos coach Kevin Walters blames himself for ruining Reece Walsh’s chances of winning the Dally M Medal on Wednesday night.

Walsh would have been a huge threat to Shaun Johnson for the game’s top individual gong, but a three-match ban for swearing at a referee ruled him ineligible.

Walters told this masthead he should have rested Walsh for that game against the Gold Coast Titans in June as it was just five days after an emotional Origin II triumph for Queensland.

After a penalty call by referee Chris Butler in the Titans match, Walsh said: “What the f--- do you mean, c---?”

Walsh sent a scare through the Broncos camp on Tuesday when he needed his hamstrings and calves stretched out for almost 15 minutes at the start of training.

He was later cleared of injury by Walters, as was Herbie Farnworth, who failed to finish the field session at Suncorp Stadium because of a quad complaint.

As for the Dally M Medal, Walters said he would take better care of Walsh during the next Origin period.

“I’m pretty sure in the next 10 years ‘Walshy’ will be up there [in contention] for the Dally M Medal,” Walters said.

“I was actually speaking to him today [Tuesday] about it. He’s disappointed that suspension eliminates him, but he wants the ‘other’ trophy.

“Some players will roll up to the Dally M tomorrow night, and that’s all they’ve got to play for, but he’s got something else.

“I should have rested him that day against the Titans. I should have rested them all [Origin players]. Patty [Carrigan], Payne [Haas] ... it’s easy in hindsight, but you’ll find next year we’ll rest all of them.

“He’s learnt a lot about himself, he’s learnt a lot about his teammates, and also referees. It was a good learning curve for him. It’s hit him hard.

“We have a few blokes heading there [the Dally M awards] tomorrow night, he’s not one of them, which is pretty sad because he’s been in the top two or three players every week he plays for us.”

Walters is nominated for Dally M coach of the year, but said Penrith counterpart Ivan Cleary was the favourite. He also said the gong should be handed out on grand final night instead.

“It’s a week early for that award,” Walters said.

“It’s great I’ve been nominated, I’m thrilled and very proud, but I’ve said it for four or five years now that the award for best coach should go to the one who wins the premiership trophy.”

The Broncos will be at full strength for Sunday’s grand final against Penrith, with Walsh and Farnworth both named. Club medico Matt Barradeen worked overtime on Walsh, but Walters said they were both fine.

“Herbie is a bit tight in the quad, he’ll play, and Reece is a bit tight – they’re all just a bit jumpy and nervous because they all want to be there on Sunday, and it’s the first time there for most of them,” Walters said.

“I know Herbie played in a World Cup semi-final, but this will be his biggest game. Walshy has played in Origins but missed one through injury [in 2021], so he’s a bit jumpy as well, but they’ll all be right to play.”

Kotoni Staggs will play his 100th NRL game, as will his Penrith opposite Stephen Crichton, and said of the Bulldogs-bound Panther: “He’s a classic centre out there, he’s been consistent and played some good footy.”

Brisbane fly to Sydney early on Wednesday and will base themselves in Coogee for a few nights, before moving to Olympic Park on Saturday night.

Sydney Morning Herald

He definitely needed a week off after game 2 to unwind a bit given the highs and how that game unfolded, but at the same time it was probably better for him overall to have that happen and learn off it.

Hopefully Kevvie's relentless focus on winning this one game is being picked up on by the players.

He shrugs off getting nominated for coach of the year and talks only about winning on Sunday.

He's won 6 premierships as a player... he knows all about the mentality required to win the grand final.

The player interviews all week have been about how good the panthers players are and respecting them... I'm feeling it's a smokescreen for an ambush.

Active Now

• LittleDavey
  • Foordy
  • Jedhead
  • broncotville
  • Broncorob
  • Wendall Taylor
  • HarryAllan7
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Sproj
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Midean
  • Justwin
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Harry Sack
  • Aldo
  • Manofoneway
  • Santa
  • Wolfie
  • Cavalo
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.