NEWS Why Isaako chose Brisbane over the Roosters

Boyd wont be playing wing unless we have a massive injury crisis in that position. I can see why Issako wouldnt to to the rorters, he wont dislodge tedesco, but if he cant develop more of a passing game i dont think he will be our long term fullback. He will just become a goalkicking Hoffman. If ( and at this stage its a big if ) Boyd gets a bit more confidence in his hammys, then i think he will be back at fullback as he is just a much better fullback than Issako if he is fully fit.

I think we will see more of a side like this next year, assuming Oates stays. If he doesnt we will just drop in Pearson.

1 Issako
2 Oates
3 Roberts
4 Boyd
5 Kahu
6 Milford
7 Nikorima
8 Lodge
9 Macca
10 Mcguire
11 Glenn
12 Gillett
13 Bird

14 Pangai Jnr
15 Sua
16 Haas/Carrigan/ Mago
17 Offa

The only other changes i think would be if we bring in a halfback Knik would go to bench hooker/utility or if Bennett decides he wants more of a utility player on the bench then i'd say Staggs comes in over a Carrigan or a Mago as he can cover backs and backrow, probably hooker as well.

Last edited:
Boyd wont be playing wing unless we have a massive injury crisis in that position. I can see why Issako wouldnt to to the rorters, he wont dislodge tedesco, but if he cant develop more of a passing game i dont think he will be our long term fullback. He will just become a goalkicking Hoffman. If ( and at this stage its a big if ) Boyd gets a bit more confidence in his hammys, then i think he will be back at fullback as he is just a much better fullback than Issako if he is fully fit.

I think we will see more of a side like this next year, assuming Oates stays. If he doesnt we will just drop in Pearson.

1 Issako
2 Oates
3 Roberts
4 Boyd
5 Kahu
6 Milford
7 Nikorima
8 Lodge
9 Macca
10 Mcguire
11 Glenn
12 Gillett
13 Bird

14 Pangai Jnr
15 Sua
16 Haas
17 Carrigan/Mago

The only other changes i think would be if we bring in a halfback Knik would go to bench hooker/utility or if Bennett decides he wants more of a utility player on the bench then i'd say Staggs comes in over a Carrigan or a Mago as he can cover backs and backrow, probably hooker as well.
I kinda like this team - it provides a good solid softening up pack, plenty of impact off the bench. How'd you go with subs though? Would Bird play 80? Would TPJ come on for one of the props - does Sua come in for either of the second rowers who can easily play 80 or do we slot him into lock while Bird moves to second row?

I kinda like this team - it provides a good solid softening up pack, plenty of impact off the bench. How'd you go with subs though? Would Bird play 80? Would TPJ come on for one of the props - does Sua come in for either of the second rowers who can easily play 80 or do we slot him into lock while Bird moves to second row?

With TPJ, i just have this feeling he is all impact. Dont think it matters if its from the bench or starting, but tbh i'm a bit concerned he doesnt have the durability of a Lodge or Moose. These hamstring problems he has could be an ongoing issue. We also dont really know how Gillett is going to pull up after his neck. We need to manage guys like Gillett and to a lesser extent Glenn with them getting older so somebody like Sua to come in for them is ideal, although i wouldnt mind if Sua and Glenn swapped roles.

Bird i think its more a wait and see thing. He might fall flat on his face in that position, so i'd probably just play Offa there if he did, who i stupidly left out of my side! I'd have him there over Mago or Carrigan, i'll have to fix that!

Last edited:
Was probably an easy choice in the end as he gets to play his preferred position with us instead of the wing for them.
Also he will get to finish his contract out. Not be released early when someone else they think will give them a premiership comes along. I don't know how anyone can follow that club.

With TPJ, i just have this feeling he is all impact. Dont think it matters if its from the bench or starting, but tbh i'm a bit concerned he doesnt have the durability of a Lodge or Moose. These hamstring problems he has could be an ongoing issue. We also dont really know how Gillett is going to pull up after his neck. We need to manage guys like Gillett and to a lesser extent Glenn with them getting older so somebody like Sua to come in for them is ideal, although i wouldnt mind if Sua and Glenn swapped roles.

Bird i think its more a wait and see thing. He might fall flat on his face in that position, so i'd probably just play Offa there if he did, who i stupidly left out of my side! I'd have him there over Mago or Carrigan, i'll have to fix that!
I think with guys like haas, tpj, fifita, they're always going to have hamstring issues due to their size. Reminds me of Mose masoe a bit who could be devastating on his day but always had hamstring issues. Maybe they need to do modified fitness drills like boxing or swimming. Jt13 is one of the few guys I've seen that's been able to largely avoid it, at least up until this point.

It's a good problem to have tho when you're forgetting forwards!

Last edited:
Boyd isn’t going to wing next year, it’s just not going to happen.

It’s either fullback or centre but it’s 95% likely he will be fullback.

So people who watched him closely before this year, what are his strengths at fullback? I'm genuinely confused why he's supposed to be a lock in for us over the next x numbers of years. He doesn't seem particularly fast, doesn't seem to be a guy who thinks about how to draw defenders for a pass, I haven't seen him run in support yet either... but we don't exactly seem to play that style, I guess.

What are his attaclomh strengths besides goal kicking?

So people who watched him closely before this year, what are his strengths at fullback? I'm genuinely confused why he's supposed to be a lock in for us over the next x numbers of years. He doesn't seem particularly fast, doesn't seem to be a guy who thinks about how to draw defenders for a pass, I haven't seen him run in support yet either... but we don't exactly seem to play that style, I guess.

Never been convinced he would be our fullback personally long term. In ISC he was always very solid and very safe and a very strong ball runner but didn't have a lot of playmaking skills. If he develops those we will be a top fullback. I'm not so sure he will though.

His running game.

That is all.

I was always more of a fan of Allan but oh well, he's been backed in, so all the best to him.

I was always more of a fan of Allan but oh well, he's been backed in, so all the best to him.

How about we give the kid more than three games to develop there yeah?

He had a year in ISC and still never really improved that side of his game. Hopefully he can do this now. If he insists he wants to be a fullback, i think he may go the same way as hoggman. He has been really good on the wing.

Don’t forget Slater was a shit playmaker in his early days. I still have hope he can add a few more arrows to his quiver.

Don’t forget Slater was a shit playmaker in his early days. I still have hope he can add a few more arrows to his quiver.

He was a shit passer but he still tried unlike Hoffman.

He was a shit passer but he still tried unlike Hoffman.
Yeah that is true, Hoffman was incredible in that once he had the ball the defence knew just to target him. Ironically making him the prime candidate to draw and pass.

like to see him do more general play kicking esp when we are stuck deep in our own half.

Milf and knik piddling them back to half way have been putting us under too much pressure recently.

Active Now

• heartly87
  • winslow_wong
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Battler
  • Locky24
  • broncos4life
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Ondi
  • Xzei
  • Santa
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • levikaden
  • NSW stables
  • Gaz
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Johnny92
  • Mr Fourex
  • Bucking Beads
  • spanky
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.