Why isn't the NRL draw made random?

B

bb_gun

NRL Player
Apr 23, 2013
Why don't they randomise the draw and make it fair for all teams?

Why are certain teams given an easy run to aid them towards the finals? Tell me it's not rigged to favour certain sides?

It's stupid that we have to play certain teams twice just because the NRL and Nine think it will draw more viewers. Fans will watch no matter who we play. Who cares if we only play the Cowboys and Storm once?

Who's the top 4 from last year? Broncos should have them first up.

Who has the most origin stars vs the least? Cool, Warriors can play the Broncos during origin again.

Newcastle are suddenly wooden spooners, lets make the Broncos only play them once.

Canberra are a premiership contender again, better make the Broncos play them twice.

It sounds like whinging, I know, but this has been a gripe of mine since I started following league. The NRL either need to extend the season so we play each team twice or make it random and eliminate the conspiracy.

The draw is based on the final finishing positions from the previous year. That decides the two pools and those pools determine who plays who twice.

What round teams play is done by the NRL (The AFL do something similar)

Funny how Brisbane always seems to draw the heavyweights twice.. and the warriors in an impossible spot during the origin period

The draw is based on the final finishing positions from the previous year. That decides the two pools and those pools determine who plays who twice.

What round teams play is done by the NRL (The AFL do something similar)
So the NRL decided we play the top 4 first up? That really stinks.

So the NRL decided we play the top 4 first up? That really stinks.

IMO it is better to play the top teams earlier in the season while they are still a bit rusty, rather than when they have their shit together

IMO it is better to play the top teams earlier in the season while they are still a bit rusty, rather than when they have their shit together

Don't forget that we also fall into that category of being rusty. We could easily lose the next 3 games and suddenly our season is on a knife's edge.

But is that what the NRL had in mind when choosing to give us the top 4 first up? Definitely not.

In 2013 when we missed the finals I don't recall a favorable draw the following year.

I think my point still stands.

Let's put the 2013/2014 theory to test.

In 2014, the Broncos played 6/8 Top 8 teams twice, with the only exceptions being Sydney and Cronulla. On the other hand, they only got the opportunity to face off against one bottom 4 side twice with Canberra, Wests and Parramatta once. Those games against Canberra and Wests were also scheduled around the Origin period, with the Wests Tigers game in particular occurring when the Broncos had their rep players away and had to travel on the road.

I'm honestly not sure what the method to the madness is. All I know is that a lot of clubs are frustrated with the process and a new system should be put in place.

In comparison when the Broncos were one of the top seeds, they played seven teams from the previous top 8 twice, with Cronulla proving the only exception (away).

Speaking of our defending premiers, they only faced off against 4 teams from the previous Top 8 twice (North Queensland, Sydney, Melbourne and St George). They finished 5-3, splitting victories against all those teams besides Sydney who they were able to beat twice.

Last edited:
I received this reply from the nrl when I emailed my suggested draw format.

Thanks for your enquiry.
The format, as it is, creates great excitement for our fans as the draw is structured in a way that allows fans to see the games they want (eg. QLD teams play each other twice). The competition is so close that every game means everything to everyone, and as you know, the top 8 positions are often decided at the very last minute. The strength of the competition lies in the fact that each year every team is capable of winning the competition and it is this unpredictability that ensures momentum is sustained and built upon over the course of the footy season.
To consider your suggestion of breaking the competition into two pools, ie top 8 v bottom 8 from the previous year, could potentially mean that we alienate some supporters by suggesting that eight teams are better than the rest and we know that is simply not the case as has been proven by the fact that no team has won the competition twice in a row and wooden spooners have become close contenders for the top position the following year. As the game is so even at the moment, it does not seem fair to disadvantage a team because of its position on the ladder in the previous year. Importantly, I am not sure that fans of that team would necessarily start the season with the same level of excitement, passion, and loyalty, knowing their team will be in the ‘bottom eight’.
We certainly see merit in your aim to liven up the game and we commend you on your original thoughts. At this stage we don’t have plans to change the current format however we have noted down your suggestions for consideration in future reviews.
Thanks again for taking the time to write in, and for your support of the game.

So it's kind of like the salary cap. The NRL want to make sure all teams are happy, so the shit ones don't have to play the tough ones too often. It's not intentional rigging of the results, but it's the closest thing the law likely allows.

Tell that to the most hardcore Knights fans and even they will laugh in your face.

It's all about the dollars.

Well not entirely, as the official response indicates there's two key factors at play.

Firstly, the attempt to balance the draw such that each team matches up evenly against the rest of the competition (based upon results from seasons prior).

More importantly though, the second consideration is what will keep people tuning in, maximising ratings and advertising revenue. It's the other side of the coin to our Friday night "monopoly" - if those matchups are good for business, they'll be scheduled, irrespective of whether or not we perceive them to be fair.

The biggest issue I have with the draw is how the broadcast networks decide the games.

From my understanding, Channel 9 get the 1st, 2nd and 5th pick of each round with Fox receiving the rest.

So prey tell how did Channel 9 pick Canterbury/Sydney and Wests/Penrith over Canberra/Cronulla? I know as a television viewer, I'd have far more interest if Canberra/Cronulla was the Channel 9 Sunday game than I would watching it on Super Saturday.

And that's the problem with the NRL. We have a quality product but we let teams like South Sydney, Canterbury, Wests, Parramatta etc. represent it and casual onlookers have every right to turn off and look for something else to do.

The biggest issue I have with the draw is how the broadcast networks decide the games.

From my understanding, Channel 9 get the 1st, 2nd and 5th pick of each round with Fox receiving the rest.

So prey tell how did Channel 9 pick Canterbury/Sydney and Wests/Penrith over Canberra/Cronulla? I know as a television viewer, I'd have far more interest if Canberra/Cronulla was the Channel 9 Sunday game than I would watching it on Super Saturday.

And that's the problem with the NRL. We have a quality product but we let teams like South Sydney, Canterbury, Wests, Parramatta etc. represent it and casual onlookers have every right to turn off and look for something else to do.

I believe as of 2018 (start of new TV deal) that privileged has been taken away from the broadcasters

Are you sure about that? That doesn't make much sense.

not 100% but pretty sure, i recall some raving about that aspect of the deal ... but i could be wrong, I know it is rare, but it does occasionally happen :)

Active Now

• Mightybroncs2k17
  • Morkel
  • Wolfie
  • Bish
  • Dash
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • ivanhungryjak
  • HarryAllan7
  • Old Mate
  • Morepudding
  • RolledOates
  • Allo
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fatboy
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.