Why it's Brisbane against the world

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
THE Broncos have slumped from outright premiership favourites in some markets on the flimsy evidence of one pre-season loss and now have four rival teams in front of them in markets.

Last weekend’s NRL preview magazines by The Courier-Mail and Sydney’s Daily Telegraph carried premiership tips from 28 staffers, ex-players and Fox Sports commentators and precisely one picked the Broncos.

None of the three ex-Broncos captains canvassed by The Courier-Mail, Kevin Walters, Gorden Tallis and Darren Lockyer, placed Brisbane in the top four.

Even a judge who is as sober with his forecasts as Peter Sterling reckons they will miss the eight.

And one Sydney newspaper reckons Wayne Bennett is losing his ability to connect with his young players.

So, you come to realise, Bennett has these Broncos exactly where he wants them — with less pressure, but with the us-against-them mindset that he has used over the years so successfully to motivate his teams.

“We always set our targets high and we always want to be a top-four team and get a home semi,’’ backrower Alex Glenn said as week one of the season counted down to Thursday’s clash with premiers Cronulla.

“We weren’t happy with how we finished last year (in the second week of the finals).

“We don’t look too much into those polls and predictions because we know anything can happen in a season. All we can control is how we train and how hard we play each week.’’

There are consistent themes you hear in why the Broncos might not be a frontline contender in Bennett’s third year.

Ben Hunt’s 2018 signing with the Dragons will be used a prime reason for a lack of success should the Broncos struggle this year, but players and clubs are fully attuned to the reality of NRL player movements.

Whether Hunt, 27 next month, is a good enough game manager to lead the Broncos to the grand final again is another matter entirely.

If the Broncos struggle in the forwards in any game, some pundits will trace it back automatically to Corey Parker’s retirement.

“He is a massive loss to us. He was one of our workhorses,’’ Glenn said.

“It’s exciting at the same time. It gives some players an opportunity to play in a different spot.

“I look at someone like Tevita Pangai Jr in our forwards. He’s going to be one player everyone starts talking about soon. He’s played a lot of games for us and while he’s still a boy he has a lot of talent. He’s so powerful and can crush lines. He has a defensive game as well.’’

Pangai, Jai Arrow or a revitalised Joe Ofahengaue are among the contingent of young forwards from whom Bennett needs at least one major improver in a season that starts with four matches against the four preliminary finalists from last season.

“We can really stamp our authority on the competition against the reigning premiers,’’ former skipper Sam Thaiday said.

“We want to knock the premiers off their perch and start the year well. As premiers everyone wants to beat you — the Cowboys found that out last year.’’

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...t/news-story/5df25db8f9275fde2e58cfdaad8507e4

I'd wager Bennett is sleeping pretty easy at the moment. Under the radar doesn't begin to describe.

How many of these experts picked the Sharks last year? How many picked Brisbane to make the gf in 2015?

Experts are wrong more than they are right when it comes to such tips at the start of the season.

Can't wait for the boys to shove these tips back down a few throats.....

**** them.

I'm thinking all of this is just a ploy:

* Bennett said from the start that 2017 would be the aim. Everything up until now has been prep. 2015 was a surprise, even Bennett admitted as much, but 2016 was never intended to be the Big Year. He wouldn't be showing his hand, but he will have been prepping the players and letting them know of the plans. Wouldn't be surprised if the bagging by the ex-Broncos is part of the plan too.

* I even expect the start of this season to be a bit slow and have some characteristic frustrations from last year. Bad kicking game, Milford dancing on the spot and going nowhere, Roberts getting frostbite. All so everyone writes us off and there is little indication of what is to come. By round 7 or 8 they'll start to implement the critical changes (which they'll have been training for all year, of course, including the pre-season). That'll get the rust out in time for Origin and prime us for the end of year run.

* More and more and more pressure on Hunt and his kicking, from fans, journos, and seemingly internally. Every opposition forward will be targeting him, thinking he's vulnerable. Psych. By mid-year we'll have McCullough and Boyd doing a LOT more kicking, with the opposition in two minds, leaving Hunt and Milford with more space and the ability to run it on the last if the opportunity presents.

* We've already heard about the complete change in attacking structure. For all we know this has been planned all along, Bennett just needed to find the right man to implement it.

* We have not lost too much from last year. Parker was good last year, but not great. Wallace I think will be easily offset by Sims. And the younger forwards are two season on from when Bennett first came here. Our entire back row can play a full 80 (though McGuire and Thaiday will likely get 65 - 70 mins), meaning even if the younger forwards are still lacking in stamina, they'll really only be required to give 15 mins of mayhem at a time.

I like the idea of macca and boyd kicking. Leave our two 5/8ths space to run it and if they don't see the opp, hunt and or milf say, "yours" and macca kicks from dummy half ala smith.

In our attacking zone we put in a grubber or pass it off to boyd for the cutout ball OR grubber in.

Could work. Our kicking game needs work and it doesn't need to be solely on hunt. Reform the roles everyone takes in kicking the ball, make sure everyone knows their place and responsibilities in that new kicking regime.

And if we beat Sharks, particularly if we put a score on them on Thursday, we will automatically jump,to premiership favourites...

This is rubbish.

I like the idea of macca and boyd kicking. Leave our two 5/8ths space to run it and if they don't see the opp, hunt and or milf say, "yours" and macca kicks from dummy half ala smith.

In our attacking zone we put in a grubber or pass it off to boyd for the cutout ball OR grubber in.

Could work. Our kicking game needs work and it doesn't need to be solely on hunt. Reform the roles everyone takes in kicking the ball, make sure everyone knows their place and responsibilities in that new kicking regime.
Currently re watching last years GF, having a hooker who adds to the kicking duties adds soo much to the style of game you can play, Ennis and Smith kicking adds another demention to 5th tackle options( and Macca can kick well)...
I know it's all been suggested before but it's still a great idea, really hope we see more of this in 2017

Currently re watching last years GF, having a hooker who adds to the kicking duties adds soo much to the style of game you can play, Ennis and Smith kicking adds another demention to 5th tackle options( and Macca can kick well)...
I know it's all been suggested before but it's still a great idea, really hope we see more of this in 2017
Absolutely

Whatever, all we can do is pray that the NRL sticks by their word to quicken the game up. We are pretty much the only team in the comp who has built our team (particularly our pack) around a higher tempo game.

While the cynic in me doubts their ability to enforce it, if they are going to try, it will be over the first few rounds before we go back to the status quo.

If they do attempt to set the tone over the opening rounds, may work in our favour, as banking those early wins is crucial. They'll slack off it later but hopefully we'll have worked ourselves into good form by then.

While the cynic in me doubts their ability to enforce it, if they are going to try, it will be over the first few rounds before we go back to the status quo.

If they do attempt to set the tone over the opening rounds, may work in our favour, as banking those early wins is crucial. They'll slack off it later but hopefully we'll have worked ourselves into good form by then.
Especially like to see this in round 3.

Fk it boys we may as well take the year off. All the experts have had a whip round and already had the spoon engraved for us.

I'm waiting for the odds of a premiership to get better (worse?) and then I'm going to make my first bet in 4 years.

Active Now

• YeahNahMate
  • barker
  • lynx000
  • Sproj
  • Behind enemy lines
  • jd87
  • pennywisealfie
  • Johnny92
  • ChewThePhatt
  • TimWhatley
  • NSW stables
  • broncos4life
  • Redfern_1980
  • Aldo
  • davidp
  • johnny plath
  • mrslong
  • BroncosAlways
  • broncsgoat
  • Bucking Beads
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.