NEWS Why Pangai jnr wants to be like Cameron Smith

Su’a has been great since getting his starting spot. He reminds me of Ben Teo - runs hard and tackles hard. I really hope we can keep him but will be interesting to see how we juggle this one with Gillett having a few years left on his contract and Glenn until the end of next year.

Something has to give when you are trying to retain Pangai Jr, Haas, Sua and Lodge in the face of big offers from other teams and you spent $700k on Jack Bird.

Lol what a mess.

Yep, cause sutton will go at the end of the year as well.
So they will have around $1m to spend

I reckon he'll get sammy's money, he is highly regarded and loves Qld.

Something has to give when you are trying to retain Pangai Jr, Haas, Sua and Lodge in the face of big offers from other teams and you spent $700k on Jack Bird.

Lol what a mess.
Hurts my head trying to figure out how this is going to work out. Plus having to hopefully upgrade Oates’ contract and will still need a halfback. Weave your magic Wayne.

Can't we just get rid of Sam and Kahu to free up some money ? I know getting rid of Kahu would be a big call but, big calls are going have to be made and we already have a replacement for Kahu and Sammy. It would be devastating to lose any of the forwards or Oates

Ideally Bird goes to a desperate club willing to take on at least the majority of his salary, Boyd retires, Sam retires, Sims is not retained regardless of how well he goes for the rest of this year. That would free up a lot of necessary money.

I say we don’t resign Gillett.

I don’t think he offers that much these days.

I say we don’t resign Gillett.

I don’t think he offers that much these days.

You are not going to find many friends here with this comment :p

He's already signed too, isn't he?

You are not going to find many friends here with this comment :p

He's already signed too, isn't he?

Pretty sure he’s done til 2021?

Edit: end of 2020

Ideally Bird goes to a desperate club willing to take on at least the majority of his salary, Boyd retires, Sam retires, Sims is not retained regardless of how well he goes for the rest of this year. That would free up a lot of necessary money.
Bird isn't going anywhere and Boyd isn't retiring. Thaiday is retiring, Opacic, Tagatese, Nona, Pangai, Scarlett, Funaki, Seve, Turpin, Pearson, Sims are all off contract and most won't be re-signed. Release Niko and Issako and there is plenty of money to re-sign or upgrade those who are a vital part of future. In fact, it is more than three million bucks freed up which will ensure the likes of Oates and Lodge stick around.

Bird isn't going anywhere and Boyd isn't retiring. Thaiday is retiring, Opacic, Tagatese, Nona, Pangai, Scarlett, Funaki, Seve, Turpin, Pearson, Sims are all off contract and most won't be re-signed. Release Niko and Issako and there is plenty of money to re-sign or upgrade those who are a vital part of future. In fact, it is more than three million bucks freed up which will ensure the likes of Oates and Lodge stick around.

We still need to fill our roster with depth, both for actual depth and to satisfy the NRL’s rules to fill your 25/30 man squad

We still need to fill our roster with depth, both for actual depth and to satisfy the NRL’s rules to fill your 25/30 man squad
Actual depth doesn't exist in modern day RL. Plenty of rookies or discards around who will play for minimum wage and to make up the numbers in the 29 man squad.

Actual depth doesn't exist in modern day RL. Plenty of rookies or discards around who will play for minimum wage and to make up the numbers in the 29 man squad.

Which is what most of those guys are. Opacic is first 17 or next drop, so he has to stay. Same with Isaako, Sims and Kodi. You can’t release everyone. Especially if they’re only a level or two above base

Can't we just get rid of Sam and Kahu to free up some money ? I know getting rid of Kahu would be a big call but, big calls are going have to be made and we already have a replacement for Kahu and Sammy. It would be devastating to lose any of the forwards or Oates

It simply doesn't work that way ...

releasing a player on a medium level contract (like Kahu is) won't instantly give you the entire amount of the contract to spread around.

firstly, you would need to replace that player in your 30 man squad for someone else, so there goes 120k straight away.

secondly, if we tell a player to look elsewhere, then we would have to cover any shortfall under our salary cap, and you had better believe that our rivals are well aware of that ... so that potentially would take care of the rest of the contract ...

so in Kahu's case, the net outcome would likely be losing an international player for either a rookie or a journeyman player. and let's not forget that wing is arguably the position that we have the least depth in.

Somehow getting Bird or someone like that off the books really is a must.

If any of Oates, Su'A, TPJ or Haas, or any mix there of are lost because of that signing, many fans including me will be ropable.

Somehow getting Bird or someone like that off the books really is a must.

If any of Oates, Su'A, TPJ or Haas, or any mix there of are lost because of that signing, many fans including me will be ropable.

Firstly I think people are being way too harsh on Bird, once he reaches his potential with us (and i have no doubt he will, when he and Bennett figures out his role in the team dynamic and how he fits in with our "structures"), people will be praising the signing and deny they ever wanted him gone.

secondly, i doubt his signing will cost us any of the players you mentioned ... this is because the Broncos and Bennett, typically don't enter bidding wars for players. they offer them what they think they are worth and not a cent more.

of those players you mentioned, it is sounding more and more likely that Haas and TPJ will stay, despite bigger offers from other clubs.

Oates, could very well leave regardless of our offer. all it may take is the promise to play him in the backrow, even if the clubs has their fingers crossed while making it.

Su'A would be a harder one to read ... it may depend on what happens when McGuire and Gillett come back. Su'A may find himself relegated to the bench again and go looking for opportunities elsewhere, especially if those opportunities come with a hefty pay check.

Firstly I think people are being way too harsh on Bird, once he reaches his potential with us (and i have no doubt he will, when he and Bennett figures out his role in the team dynamic and how he fits in with our "structures"), people will be praising the signing and deny they ever wanted him gone.

secondly, i doubt his signing will cost us any of the players you mentioned ... this is because the Broncos and Bennett, typically don't enter bidding wars for players. they offer them what they think they are worth and not a cent more.

of those players you mentioned, it is sounding more and more likely that Haas and TPJ will stay, despite bigger offers from other clubs.

Oates, could very well leave regardless of our offer. all it may take is the promise to play him in the backrow, even if the clubs has their fingers crossed while making it.

Su'A would be a harder one to read ... it may depend on what happens when McGuire and Gillett come back. Su'A may find himself relegated to the bench again and go looking for opportunities elsewhere, especially if those opportunities come with a hefty pay check.

To be fair, I wasn't a fan when he signed and voiced that at the time. I want him to prove me wrong obviously but so far the signs are not good. He is trying his heart out, no doubt at all but he just isn't what the team needs.

I mean replace any of Oates TPJ, Su'A or Haas with Bird, will the Broncs be a far better team either now or in the future? Through in the hefty pay packet and it is concerning.

Which is what most of those guys are. Opacic is first 17 or next drop, so he has to stay. Same with Isaako, Sims and Kodi. You can’t release everyone. Especially if they’re only a level or two above base
I didn't say to release everyone but that option is there if need be. It's not like any of those players you mentioned are priorities as they are easily replaceable. In saying that, three of those four will likely be with the club next year. I have no doubt that the club has plenty of money to work with to keep the guys that they really want to keep but the individual player might think different.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • The True King
  • GCBRONCO
  • Culhwch
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Bucking Beads
  • Bish
  • Aldo
  • winslow_wong
  • leon.bott
  • FACTHUNT
  • Strop
  • Manlyman
  • mrslong
  • I bleed Maroon
  • davidp
  • Jazza
  • TimWhatley
  • broncsgoat
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.