NEWS Why the Broncos went hard to secure Croft

or you can look at it this way ... with Croft in the side they won the minor premiership comfortably (losing only 4 games, by a combined total of something like 6 pts)

then they replace him with Hughes and they become also rans in the finals.
You honestly think Croft has that much influence? Considering Smith, Munster, Hughes and even k Bromwich had more TA's than Croft, Hughes pretty much had everything except kick meters on him.
Tell me how then did he single handedly get the them the minor premiership , yet couldn't get them the GF the year prior ?

You honestly think Croft has that much influence? Considering Smith, Munster, Hughes and even k Bromwich had more TA's than Croft, Hughes pretty much had everything except kick meters on him.
Tell me how then did he single handedly get the them the minor premiership , yet couldn't get them the GF the year prior ?
How dare he lose to the best team money can buy, who are so good they went on to become back-to-back premiers.

If winning a premiership in the last 2 years is your criteria for signing a halfback, we're in trouble because Cronk has retired.

Just a first time poster here but been a lurker for a long time.
So, u were saying Boyd is better than Croft at HB hence Boyd got twice his salary plus more on "stats" like u mentioned which makes Croft a bad signing?
I dont really get the so called Broncos fans when we got a shitty halves we are all angry and when we signed a half that had won games we still get the shits? Can we get another one who is available in that money, and stop bringing in Paix and co as theyre not NRL ready yet, unless u know better of course. Dearden hasnt shown anything exciting in NRL level yet. Ash Taylor was also promising at QC, and look where Ash is now?
Or maybe we should keep Boyd at 7 or 6 then extend his contract then( fckn hope not)?
Maybe we should wait and see?
And in the Broncos perfect world young Locky and Langer will bring us back the glory, Dearden and Paix arent proven yet.

Or Bellamy wasn't getting what he wanted from Croft, hence dropping him and keeping Hughes. He could have moved scott for Hughes in the centers but instead dropped Croft. It's not like Croft was killing it, I mean boyd had more TA's and LBA's for **** sake.

So, u were saying Boyd is better than Croft at HB hence Boyd got twice his salary plus more on "stats" like u mentioned which makes Croft a bad signing?
I dont really get the so called Broncos fans when we got a shitty halves we are all angry and when we signed a half that had won games we still get the shits? Can we get another one who is available in that money, and stop bringing in Paix and co as theyre not NRL ready yet, unless u know better of course. Dearden hasnt shown anything exciting in NRL level yet. Ash Taylor was also promising at QC, and look where Ash is now?
Or maybe we should keep Boyd at 7 or 6 then extend his contract then( fckn hope not)?
And in the Broncos perfect world young Locky and Langer will bring us back the glory, Dearden and Paix arent proven yet.
Welcome aboard and good first post. Don’t worry about waiting until you have something sensible to say in future as no one else does. The fact is people are upset about our lack of success and so they are looking for a sure thing to lift us out of the shit but with the salary cap it just doesn’t exist. Croft is a good signing because his price makes him a good compromise. Ultimately it is up to Seibold and the players to work together to come up with a style of play that gets the best out of our squad. My personal opinion is that if our squad plays to it’s potential then we’ll be a premiership contender.

Welcome aboard and good first post. Don’t worry about waiting until you have something sensible to say in future as no one else does. The fact is people are upset about our lack of success and so they are looking for a sure thing to lift us out of the shit but with the salary cap it just doesn’t exist. Croft is a good signing because his price makes him a good compromise. Ultimately it is up to Seibold and the players to work together to come up with a style of play that gets the best out of our squad. My personal opinion is that if our squad plays to it’s potential then we’ll be a premiership contender.

Goodness what this roster could achieve with an expansive passing and running game. Absolutely a premiership contender.

Maybe you should read more of my posts and then you would understand a little more, never said boyd was better just had more TA's and LBA 's. Also didn't say we should sign anyone else , just don't tell me he is our savior because he's far from it imo

Or Bellamy wasn't getting what he wanted from Croft, hence dropping him and keeping Hughes. He could have moved scott for Hughes in the centers but instead dropped Croft. It's not like Croft was killing it, I mean boyd had more TA's and LBA's for **** sake.
So it took super coach till round 23 to figure out that Croft wasn't his guy. This smacks of a big FU to Croft probably because he told him he wanted out.

So it took super coach till round 23 to figure out that Croft wasn't his guy. This smacks of a big FU to Croft probably because he told him he wanted out.
You could be right, but to say Croft was solely responsible for their 90% win rate and then their drop in form is bullshit.
Croft was replaced by Hughes a few times whilst with the storm.

Oh so he had the 90% not the team itself, I mean it couldn't have been that they barely dropped a game all year and they ran out of gas. It's sweet you give him all the credit but .
[automerge]1574765574[/automerge]

Like Croft ??
Glory glory....
Oh wait he choked.....
You really trying to say Croft choked more then Ben Hunt?

You're going to pull something if you keep stretching this far for your agenda

Maybe you should read more of my posts and then you would understand a little more, never said boyd was better just had more TA's and LBA 's. Also didn't say we should sign anyone else , just don't tell me he is our savior because he's far from it imo

No one has said he is our saviour though.

Oh so he had the 90% not the team itself, I mean it couldn't have been that they barely dropped a game all year and they ran out of gas. It's sweet you give him all the credit but .
[automerge]1574765574[/automerge]

Like Croft ??
Glory glory....
Oh wait he choked.....
It's pretty hard to keep a 90% win rate over that many games if the 7 isn't at least doing the basics well, even with Cam Smith in the side..
for the price, as long as he provides par level game management, is a viable last tackle option and shows effort in support play/defence then ideally we can finally open up some options for our big ticket players Milf/Bird etc to have a chance to earn their worth...
another offseason for the young forwards to progress, we should have some formitable go forward this year,
I recon its the last chance for Milford to justify being a top tier player in the competition.
The experiment of shaping him into a game manager/playmaker has ultimately been a blunder,
being optimistic he has developed skills to some extent which is never a bad thing,
hopefully with a natural 7 steering the team and milf picking and choosing his times to attack and backing up as a alternate last play option he can reach his potential... Still not happy with his defence but I don't think it's going to improve much more then where its at.

The experiment of shaping him into a game manager/playmaker has ultimately been a blunder,

The only year where he was our dominant half for the full year he won player of the year with zero support. Last year he was shunted all over the shop with less than zero support forced to try and play a fucking ludicrous hybrid fullback 5/8 role. I wish people would stop perpetuating this fucking bullshit fallacy that Milf hasn't been good for us.

I don't think anyone is claiming it will be crofts individual brilliance that will turn us into a viable premiership contender but it's more the importance of a having a consistent 7 to a spine that currently lacks direction that is the promising factor.
and at worst if he fails we have another option up our sleeve who is only going to get better with a couple more years to develop without the pressure of being the first pick 7 at such a young age

The only year where he was our dominant half for the full year he won player of the year with zero support. Last year he was shunted all over the shop with less than zero support forced to try and play a fucking ludicrous hybrid fullback 5/8 role. I wish people would stop perpetuating this fucking bullshit fallacy that Milf hasn't been good for us.
I agree it's been mismanagement that's made his past few years challenging, and I'm not saying he hasn't been "good" but for the money he is on he definitely hasn't been great which is what you want when you spend big money on a marquee player.. and again his defence is horrible on a consistent basis so being just good in attack is not enough imo

I wish people would stop perpetuating this fucking bullshit fallacy that Milf hasn't been good for us.
Everyone says he's been "good" for us. The problem is he hasn't been $1 million fantastic for us; our highest paid player of all time good for us. For that kind of money we should expect him to direct the play, boss the opposition and basically be a leader. When he walks out on the field the crowd should erupt. His name isn't even coming up as a captaincy contender. That's how underwhelming he's been.

So yeah, sure he's a "good" player. But he was signed to be the next Lockyer, Lewis, Langer, Tallis. He's not even remotely in that league.

Contrast him with Cooper Cronk - his peer - in that GF. What use would Milford be if he was relegated to shadowing play with a broken shoulder? He's no Cronk, Thurston, Smith. He's more like Barba, without the issues.

Last edited:
I agree it's been mismanagement that's made his past few years challenging, and I'm not saying he hasn't been "good" but for the money he is on he definitely hasn't been great which is what you want when you spend big money on a marquee player.. and again his defence is horrible on a consistent basis so being just good in attack is not enough imo
I'm not writing him off just yet but with a more clearly defined role this year expectations are going to be a lot higher, providing the forwards go forward and Croft/Dearden cover the basic 7 duties with some logical direction

Everyone says he's been "good" for us. The problem is he hasn't been $1 million fantastic for us; our highest paid player of all time good for us. For that kind of money we should expect him to direct the play, boss the opposition and basically be a leader. When he walks out on the field the crowd should erupt. His name isn't even coming up as a captaincy contender. That's how underwhelming he's been.

So yeah, sure he's a "good" player. But he was signed to be the next Lockyer, Lewis, Langer, Tallis. He's not even remotely in that league.

Contrast him with Cooper Cronk - his peer - in that GF. What use would Milford be if he was relegated to shadowing play with a broken shoulder? He's no Cronk, Thurston, Smith. He's more like Barba, without the issues.
Exactly, that top bracket of players need to preform at high level most of the time to justify the cap space taken up, the argument our spine has been chopped and changed, him having no other support in terms of playmaking, switching roles/coaches arguably holds some merit, now is the time though or I would l let him explore his options next contract.

Unread

Active Now

• Dazza 92
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • HarryAllan7
  • Bongo
  • Porthoz
  • Lozza
  • Fitzy
  • ostin86
  • broncos4life
  • winslow_wong
  • Old Mate
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.