Will Darren Lockyer Be An Immortal?

Will Darren Lockyer be one of the Immortals?

• Total voters
Sterling - 4 premierships
Alfie - 4 premierships

I'm not sure how Thurston could be ahead of them in the pecking order.

Alfie - 4 premierships

Shall we compare Thurston's teammates across the years to the early-mid 90's Broncos and early-mid 80's Eels? He's done just about everything an individual can do to help his team win for the last 10 years, shouldn't really be deducted points for playing for a smaller market team for the majority of his career.

Can't believe I'm defending this runt, but he's due a level of respect. I'd still pick an 18 year old Langer over an 18 year old Thurston to build a team around, purely because Alf wasn't a little whinger.

Shall we compare Thurston's teammates across the years to the early-mid 90's Broncos and early-mid 80's Eels? He's done just about everything an individual can do to help his team win for the last 10 years, shouldn't really be deducted points for playing for a smaller market team for the majority of his career.

Can't believe I'm defending this runt, but he's due a level of respect. I'd still pick an 18 year old Langer over an 18 year old Thurston to build a team around, purely because Alf wasn't a little whinger.

Those players had some bloody good rosters, but it's not like they were guaranteed premierships (perhaps '97 would be an exception). They still had to work their ass off for them and they took their opportunities when they were presented.

Thurston didn't always have a squad full of numpties. He's had several opportunities to deliver his side a premiership and he has only managed to do it once.

He is due a lot of respect, but those other players also deserve to be an immortal. So does Thurston, but I don't see how Thurston can be ahead of them in the pecking order.

Alfie - 4 premierships

Shits all over them at Rep level though.

To play 36 straight origin games is just crazy.

Alf was better than Sterling, and I'd put Thurston on par with Alf - Alf doesn't get the credit he deserves though.

Why do premierships matter? Talent is far more important IMO, and Thurston is one of the best of all time. They should wait before giving it to him and Smith though.

Anybody wondering why Sam has been so ineffective for years only needs to look at the years of hospital passes he received from Locky. It used to make me scream at the telly. He was possibly a worse defender than Thurston has been, even with two non-existent shoulders. Speed bumps represent more of a challenge. Locky was clutch as ****, but I’m not sure that makes him an immortal.

Hehe, I was wondering what pyros would come out of the woodwork.

If he had stayed at fullback, he would be considered the best ever I think (as it is, I consider him basically on par with Slater).

You might be underselling him a bit, yes he was clutch, and is considered probably the best clutch player of all, but he was solid and reliable. One of the best kickers the game has seen (on par with Johns imo).

I’d agree with the fullback sentiment. I might be trying to be a little controversial for the sake of discussion, but the last 4-5 years, he annoyed me almost as much as he awed me.

I think he was hot and cold for a few years ('07-'10), battling injury and bullshit at the club - 2011 he was mint though.

I'll admit my bias though, he's my favourite player of all time. The things that were mentioned earlier and removed were kind of disturbing to me (always heard the rumours though).

To get back on topic, Locky should probably be an immortal if comparing to Johns, but I truly believe he was mostly overrated and inconsistent. His good years were great, but they weren’t all good. He was made look better by the class of his team/s. I do believe he was better as fullback.

What a load of hot ****.

I liked your post....just so I could unlike it. :angry:

I liked your post....just so I could unlike it. :angry:
dis-main.gif

Last edited:
I can't agree with that.

I don't love the little prick, but he's well ahead of those other 3 guys in terms of ability & accomplishments. He deserves to be an immortal, as long as it's after Lockyer.

VQN55mh.png

He’s especially proud of the two Townsville Bulletin Fan Choice Awards

Will he be one of the next two? Possibly not.
Will he be eventually? Yeah. Even most opposition supporters think he will so it's only a matter of time. Have tv presence will help too.

I've flip flopped on this quite a bit. So many great candidates. My vote would be for Meninga but now I hope they go with Norm Provan. His record speaks for itself.

Active Now

• LockyersLeftBoot
  • Skathen
  • GCBRONCO
  • Waynesaurus
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Fozz
  • broncoscope
  • LittleDavey
  • Culhwch
  • Lurker
  • Xzei
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Wolfie
  • Skyblues87
  • broncs30
  • Manifesto
  • Wendall Taylor
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.