NEWS Will the real Tristan Sailor please stand up: Kevvie says count on it

BHQArticleImageLarge80

Broncos coach Kevin Walters expects to see the ‘real’ Tristan Sailor on the field as his side prepare to face a resurgent Rabbitohs at Accor Stadium on Friday night.

Sailor – who was called in late to cover for Reece Walsh at fullback – had an uncharacteristically poor performance last week in a disappointing loss to the Sharks, making a number of costly errors that resulted in opposition tries.

However, Walters said the fact that he was even available to play was a testament to his professionalism given he had returned early from surgery on his ankle and backed him to step up from his sinking feeling against the Sharks.

“Tristan didn’t play last week; Tristan is going to play this week, the real Tristan Sailor,” Walters said.

“It is a great opportunity for him the next month with Origin and everything going on. We will get some good football into his legs.

“We are really comfortable with Tristan at the back. He is a good player with a good knowledge of the game. He covers a lot of areas for us at the back.

“His recovery from the surgery he had was amazing. He really showed his professionalism and it is a good opportunity for him now.

“We love having him in the side. He makes the place a whole lot better, even if he is not in first grade.

“At training, he certainly challenges them. He is in first grade at the moment and we’d love to see the best of him tomorrow night.”

Sailor – like the rest of the Broncos – will need to improve markedly from their showing against Cronulla, with the Bunnies coming into the game off the back of two big wins, while Brisbane have suffered back-to-back losses.

The Broncos have named Xavier Willison to return to add some extra firepower to the bench, while youngster Josiah Karapani has been called into the side to replace the injured Corey Oates who was ruled out before their captain's run with a knee complaint.

Much of South Sydney’s return to form has come through the work of their fullback Latrell Mitchell, who since his come back from suspension has scored four tries and produced nine try assists, including six in his past two wins.

Now firmly in the picture for a State of Origin recall in the vacant Blues centre position, Walters is counting on his players not only to shut him down, but to improve on their own games overall.

“Every game is important for us; this game is no different,” Walters said.

“It's an away game for us, (but) we've had a really good preparation this week and we're looking forward to the formation of that preparation.

“We are starting to find form too, (but) for 40 minutes. If we get 80 minutes right, we are a very dangerous side.

“I understand Souths and what they are doing, but I am more excited about us and what we can do in this game.

“You tackle Latrell, that's how you stop him … He will be there tomorrow night the big fella and we will be aware of his presence.

“He has always been a good player and he has always been dangerous; they have some dangerous players for sure, but I am more excited about our guys and what we can bring there.”

NRL.com

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
He looked like he didn't really want to be out there to me.

I was hoping last week was a one-off being his first game back from injury, but I think he's just far too passive to be a first-grade player.

Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019
He was never good, it’s insane the raps he got, what’s was that even about? He threw a couple of passes and missed a million tackles…the bloke is 4th string

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
The real Tristan Sailor stood up.... and spoiler alert... it was the same guy all along.

Active Now

• sooticus
  • Justwin
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Swordfish
  • broncos4life
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Seibs
  • Harry Sack
  • phoenix
  • Big Del
  • I bleed Maroon
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.