Williams faces 10-match ban

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Manly forward Tony Williams is facing a 10-match ban after being charged with a grade four dangerous throw over a tackle on Isaac De Gois in last night’s 17-14 loss to Cronulla.

The suspension threatens to rule him out until the week the NSW team is named for the opening State of Origin match in Melbourne.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/williams-faces-10match-ban-20120320-1vgya.html

I am glad Hasler is no longer Manly coach, he would be going off his head.

Oh FFS. Not worth 10 weeks. Not even close.
4 or 5 at the most.

Let me guess. The 10 weeks would be if he fought the charge and failed.
7 weeks with an early guilty plea.
And that's due to some loading for previous incidents.

In other words - the punishment is right judging on people's "4-5 weeks" estimate...it's just worse because of loading.

Yep I've got no dramas with it. The onus is on the tackler and if a tackle goes wrong they wear the consequences.

I think it was a back slam, not a spear tackle.

I think it was a back slam, not a spear tackle.

I haven't seen it. I'm merely looking at the fact he was charged with a Grade 4, and with loading that results in a 7-10 week suspension.

Fairly sure Manly will argue for a downgrade, and if it is indeed more a back slam then they'll probably be successful.

Yeah just saw it. Grade 4 well and truly justified. The fact that he didn't land on his head was sheer luck. It was reckless, it was dangerous, and it could've been very very very bad for De Gois.

No complaints here. 7 weeks well and truly justified. Oh and **** Manly.

Reckless? Ave a look again. He grabbed him from behind around his torso and all he wanted to do is throw him on his side. But he ended up flipping him. Looks unlucky to me.

FFS. Reckless. He flipped him with absolutely no control. That's the definition of RECKLESS. He wanted to throw him on the ground and it ended up dangerous. Ergo, DANGEROUS THROW.

in my opinion FARAHS tackle on friday night was worse and had more intent, yet he only got two weeks.

its unfortunate for williams because he looked as suprised as anyone at the result - im fine for him to be suspended because accidental or not it was still reckless - we can't have this happening in the game, but 3 weeks would of done the trick imo. maybe i'm just looking out for my dream team though ;)

No control? Seems like he tried to take control of the tackle. Wrapped his arms around the chest, and tried to throw him on the ground. Just went wrong.

Yes. Recklessly so. To the point it put De Gois in a considerable amount of danger.

Disagree that Farah's is worse either, noisetheory. The velocity that De Gois was spinning, if he had made first contact with his head, and suppose it dug into the wet ground ever so slightly while the rest of his body continued his flip...wow. I hate to think what the result would've been to him.

Farah's on Hornby, well, Hornby was pretty much heading straight down on his upper back/shoulders. Dangerous? Yes. But the margin for error was much wider. Farah's 2 weeks with early plea seems right to me.

Agree with noise theory and rock. There was no intent in Williams' actions and it wasn't reckless in the sense of poor technique. Quite simply Williams was stronger than he realized and De Gois lighter than he realized. In terms of reckless technique and intent I thought Farah was worse. No doubt De Gois ended up in the more dangerous position but it was much more accidental IMO.

Toovey was saying that that Williams shouldn't have anything to worry about ... the tackle wasn't that bad :lol:

Screw intent. He made the tackle, which in turn caused another player to be put in a very dangerous position. 10 weeks IMO is not enough.

Send a clear message to these big idiots who play this game. It's time to stop your bull****.

Doesn't matter if there was intent there or not, whether it was an accident, De Gois was still put in danger of a serious injury.

Tony Williams is never at fault it seems, it's always the other players fault, because he was lighter than what Williams thought etc etc.

Last edited:
I know I'd be spewin if it was a Bronco.....but I suppose HOdgo did a similar tackle a few years ago and got a similar stint on the sidelines? 6-8 weeks didn't he? I can't really remember.

I've seen safer stunts in WWE, that was ridiculous that tackle.

Hes unlucky it wasn't closer to origin ;)

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.