With all the Revenue and profit the Club makes does it buy any assets??

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
NRL publishing their revenue reports for last year and them buying Gambaro Hotel on Caxton st, makes me wonder what is the club doing with their money.

Like other teams are not really making the bulk of their income from football operations like us where it's more from the leagues club, I'm near Penrith and I can see first hand where that money goes with their monstrous sized leagues club which looks like city by itself now.

If i was in charge I would probably look at buying a Super league club or something, they only have a small cap and you could use it to find Players/Staff etc.

I am no financial expert but I reckon Broncos are the only NRL club who are “publicly listed” & is actively traded in ASX. So, unlike NRL and any other clubs, Broncos must declare their annual results every year and can’t do as they wish without the board’s & majority share holders( News Ltd. in our case)approval.
Now, one could argue that other clubs do have CEO’s and Chairman’s but they wouldn’t have certain restrictions as a public listed company.

Sure, they can look at purchasing a SL club but it would be News Ltd. that will be making the purchase but not Bronco’s.

They have invested in their front office. DD & Ikin arent here on peanuts.

So basically the Beoncos club profit goes to the shareholders

A fair chunk. Some will go into reserves. The club has fairly significant cash reserves so we're not going to be like the Sharks any time soon.

In terms of investing in other clubs, it could be done but how many ESL clubs are actually profitable?

I am no financial expert but I reckon Broncos are the only NRL club who are “publicly listed” & is actively traded in ASX. So, unlike NRL and any other clubs, Broncos must declare their annual results every year and can’t do as they wish without the board’s & majority share holders( News Ltd. in our case)approval.
Now, one could argue that other clubs do have CEO’s and Chairman’s but they wouldn’t have certain restrictions as a public listed company.

Sure, they can look at purchasing a SL club but it would be News Ltd. that will be making the purchase but not Bronco’s.
From what I know, like 20% of the shares are what is available to the public the rest owned by Corporations, 98 mil shares with slightly over 1 dollar a share the market cap is 100 Million(so that is what ASX values Broncos at).

Murdoch owns 67 million shares, the highest owned by an individual was just under a million shares.

If you have more than 140k in shares of the club you would make the top 10 highest share holders, surprisingly low.

As for buying the stadium or any stadium it depends if Newscorp puts it under their name or the club raising it's value with the asset, I doubt Newscorp would ever put their own money into it, Do they even put money into the club as it stands anyway, it makes soo much off football operations it can easily sustain itself and it's very easy to make profit from due to caps on players and staff.

A fair chunk. Some will go into reserves. The club has fairly significant cash reserves so we're not going to be like the Sharks any time soon.

In terms of investing in other clubs, it could be done but how many ESL clubs are actually profitable?
It would probably be barely for some, but it could be used for the Broncos as an Affiliate club or what not, a place we can put players or staff for experience while giving us scouting knowledge as well.

The amount of money involved isn't crazy, I checked St Helens and they had revenue of $12.1 million(AUD) and posted loses of 1.6M pounds for the season but when you look at why, they state stadium depreciation, that to me sounds like a tax dodge, either way that would be the priciest option I suspect a lower team would be probably half that at most.

Going by our half year results on the stadium we made 9.6 million on ticket sales and corporate for games and paid Suncorp 3.3 to host the 7 games, I doubt we are even close to the money required to buy the stadium outright but with a loan it might be cheaper especially when you consider you can make money off Pricey Origin games and Dolphins with any other sport that plays there like union.

It would probably be barely for some, but it could be used for the Broncos as an Affiliate club or what not, a place we can put players or staff for experience while giving us scouting knowledge as well.

The amount of money involved isn't crazy, I checked St Helens and they had revenue of $12.1 million(AUD) and posted loses of 1.6M pounds for the season but when you look at why, they state stadium depreciation, that to me sounds like a tax dodge, either way that would be the priciest option I suspect a lower team would be probably half that at most.

Going by our half year results on the stadium we made 9.6 million on ticket sales and corporate for games and paid Suncorp 3.3 to host the 7 games, I doubt we are even close to the money required to buy the stadium outright but with a loan it might be cheaper especially when you consider you can make money off Pricey Origin games and Dolphins with any other sport that plays there like union.
I'm almost certain the state govt would never sell Suncorp especially with the Olympics coming up.
The best bet would be to build a boutique stadium (yes it would cost a bit and need a loan) of about 35000 (don't know where) and then try and coax the reds and roar to play there as they don't need anywhere near suncorp's capacity. Then we get to keep all the profits.
Pretty sure though if we tried to do that the govt would make life very difficult with getting necessary building approvals and would not be interested in helping out with related transport infrastructure.
Think we are stuck with the current arrangements indefinitely.

unfortunately since we are a publicly listed company, we are limited with what the club can do with the revenue.

you can't look at this like we are a private company (or an American sporting franchise). legally, the board have to do what's in the best interest of the shareholders.

and generally what's in the best interest of the shareholders is different to what's in the best interest of the fans

I'm almost certain the state govt would never sell Suncorp especially with the Olympics coming up.
The best bet would be to build a boutique stadium (yes it would cost a bit and need a loan) of about 35000 (don't know where) and then try and coax the reds and roar to play there as they don't need anywhere near suncorp's capacity. Then we get to keep all the profits.
Pretty sure though if we tried to do that the govt would make life very difficult with getting necessary building approvals and would not be interested in helping out with related transport infrastructure.
Think we are stuck with the current arrangements indefinitely.
That would never work, It has to be Suncorp because it's in the best location, to build a new stadium requires a place to put it, almost certainly costing more then buying Suncorp anyway as it will almost certainly require to buy houses around an area or something similar plus likely development restrictions not to mention building costs these days are inflated like crazy, the stadium isn't going to be the centre piece of the Olympics anyway, that will be the Gabba it will host the Soccer games and rugby 7s and that's probably it.
unfortunately since we are a publicly listed company, we are limited with what the club can do with the revenue.

you can't look at this like we are a private company (or an American sporting franchise). legally, the board have to do what's in the best interest of the shareholders.

and generally what's in the best interest of the shareholders is different to what's in the best interest of the fans
The only share holder that matters is Newscorp because they control the board with 68% of shares.

Top holders of Broncos stock.

78k shs (~$84k AUD) will get you into the top 20... Maybe BHQ can pool its money and crack the list

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-24 100212.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-02-24 100212.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 60
Top holders of Broncos stock.

78k shs (~$84k AUD) will get you into the top 20... Maybe BHQ can pool its money and crack the list

There are 43k shares on offer for sale now (price between 1.075 and 1.29), it's a fairly tightly held stock.

Buying Suncorp or even a stadium is a pipe dream the club could never achieve. Suncorp would cost about 500 million minimum.
The rebuild of Parra cost 300 mill not including the land either. There is a reason state government normally own that infrastructure. If anyone was to ever own a stadium it would have to be like when the AFL bought Marvel Stadium for 460 million. But it made sense to them as they could play a heap of sides out of it to make it feasible. The NRL could achieve this but they are too dumb with their money to ever look at this option

There are 43k shares on offer for sale now (price between 1.075 and 1.29), it's a fairly tightly held stock.

The ADV is ~$3k AUD per day... the problem isn't just that its tightly held, it's super illiquid. Any stock not in the ASX200 (this isn't even in the 300) is the same. Would trade all off-market if you wanted to buy any substantial holding.

Broncos own Gilbert Park, they bought it off Wests.

Active Now

• Rah88
  • Sproj
  • winslow_wong
  • Justwin
  • Broncorob
  • broncsgoat
  • Mister Wright
  • the_next
  • broncos4life
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • Allo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Morkel
  • Jazza
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Fatboy
  • Santa
  • Fitzy
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.