Woohoo! Australia loses!

Drake said:
Foordy said:
Bucking Beads said:
[quote="The Rock":3i73wq34]Yep. Coxy's anti-football agenda doesn't work this time. It's a BIG blow for the sport in Australia.

not really, they wanted to kick league and afl of there stadiums for 3 months. Instead worry about a gay convention we should be getting rid of the boats and pissing off Gillard.

they have kicked league and AFL out of the stadiums, but they would have upgraded those stadiums for us to utilise. that alone would have been a massive benefit to the NRL and AFL

Yeah because Sydney teams could really use more empty seats at games.[/quote:3i73wq34]

He's probably talking more about the infrastructure upgrades to and from the stadiums. Not to mention any retro fitting that would have occurred to the stadiums too.

Argh, not you as well. No one seems to realise that that video isn't made for Australians, it's made for the world. The video plays up to numerous things one associates with the Australian nation - kangaroos, landmarks, Crocodile Dundee!

Although most of us think it's pretty corny, people outside of Australia would eat that kind of stuff up.

Anyway, all of that is pointless, as FIFA decide who they'll vote for long before the final presentation. The video has little bearing on the vote. It's more based on infrastructure, safety, how much money you're willing to bribe FIFA with, etc.

Lol safety. Al-Qaeida's definitely rubbing their hands together, Mr Burns style. Fail.

I saw what they were going for ning but it could've been executed much better.

Was it customary to have your PM give their plea? I have no problem having Gillard featured but to have her make the plea was weak, she couldn't sell snow to the eskimos.

ningnangnong said:
Argh, not you as well. No one seems to realise that that video isn't made for Australians, it's made for the world. The video plays up to numerous things one associates with the Australian nation - kangaroos, landmarks, Crocodile Dundee!

Although most of us think it's pretty corny, people outside of Australia would eat that kind of stuff up.

Anyway, all of that is pointless, as FIFA decide who they'll vote for long before the final presentation. The video has little bearing on the vote. It's more based on infrastructure, safety, how much money you're willing to bribe FIFA with, etc.

Nah mate, most people with any common sense will see that video and think it was a load of wank.

Winning bids for big events like this and the Olympics is about money, power and influence - you need enough of 2 out of these 3 to win a bid (and if you have the money you generally will have influence). It is not about who is the best placed to run the event - every country who gets to the final bid stage is well capable of staging the event, admitibaly some will stage a much better event than others, but all will pull it off in some form.

Australia has no-one on the inside of FIFA to weild the power and influence; and have too great of a sense of fair play to spend the enough money in the required ways to get the votes. We quite frankly have no-one willing/able to play the FIFA game.

Let's take the Sydney Olympics for example. A lot of hard work went into that bid and we were certainly more than capable of delivering the great games we did, but so were several of the other contenders. Australia sealed the winning of that bid mostly because of 1 man - John Coates. He spent pretty much his whole sports administration career building up his status within the IOC and learning to play their game, so when the time came he had the power and influence within the IOC to ensure a favourable outcome for Australia. We quite frankly have no-one with that kind of power-influence in FIFA - and we don't have enough money (or willingness to use it somewhat unscrupulous manner) to make up for that lack of influential person.

Did anyone actually think we had a chance? Ever?

The way I see it. Labor wasted another $20 million on hope.

Investing in Australia's future right?

Agree with Nashy. KRudd saw a chance to look cool and spent $20mil on a pointless exercise. I remember the thread where Scotty provided a good insight on how Australia isn't ready to host the WC. It was obvious we were no hope.

Nashy said:
Did anyone actually think we had a chance? Ever?

The way I see it. Labor wasted another $20 million on hope.

Investing in Australia's future right?

We had a huge chance. The only nation I could see beating us was the US.

The whole process of voting is ridiculous though. It shouldn't be based on who invites you to the nicest dinner, but which country has the best facilities, management, etc.

Jeba said:
Agree with Nashy. KRudd saw a chance to look cool and spent $20mil on a pointless exercise. I remember the thread where Scotty provided a good insight on how Australia isn't ready to host the WC. It was obvious we were no hope.

I don't think so. I think a few of you are just looking for another stick to beat Labor with.

The Rock said:
We never had a "huge" chance, that was evidence by the voting.

If it was done fairly then yes, we would have had a huge chance. Why aren't Australia ready to host a World Cup in 11 years time? If it was tomorrow, then no we'd be screwed. But we have 11 years.

Yes, we had a huge chance, assuming everything was done fairly.

Despite what some people may say, we were right to bid for it. We can't help that FIFA are a bunch of corrupt bastards.

Fifa would probably make the least money giving Australia hosting duties...

Our time zone just doesn't suit their biggest markets.

Actually, in 2022, their biggest market will be Asia, which our time zone suits just perfectly. [icon_wink

ningnangnong said:
The Rock said:
We never had a "huge" chance, that was evidence by the voting.

If it was done fairly then yes, we would have had a huge chance. Why aren't Australia ready to host a World Cup in 11 years time? If it was tomorrow, then no we'd be screwed. But we have 11 years.

Yes, we had a huge chance, assuming everything was done fairly.

Despite what some people may say, we were right to bid for it. We can't help that FIFA are a bunch of corrupt bastards.

Couldn't agree more. Perfect post.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Bucking Beads
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.