POST GAME World Club Challenge - Wigan vs Brisbane

You don't need control, just downward pressure.

I also did not see downward pressure, his wrist was vertical and the ball just happened to be touching it when it hit the ground, with no pressure what so ever.

Farrell lost control and grounded the ball with his forearm. Not sure whether there was separation, but that should be a No Try in my book. However, it should be adjudicated as a Try under the current rules and guidelines:

Scoring a tryA try is scored when:
a. A player first grounds the ball in his opponents in goal
b. Opposing players simultaneously grounds the ball in the in goal area
c. A tackled player’s momentum carries him into the opponents in goal where he grounds the ball.

GroundingGrounding the Ball includes:
a. Placing the ball on the ground with hand or hands, wrist or forearm
b. Exerting a downward pressure on the ball in contact with the ground
c. Dropping on the ball and covering it with the front part of the body above the waist and belowthe neck.

Section 2
A player who has had possession or touches/touched the ball and knocks the ball forward must regainpossession (catch, hold or grip) prior to the ball hitting the ground, another player, goal post or cross bar.For the ball to be deemed grounded, pressure must be applied by the player’s fingers, hand, wrist,forearm or torso so as to create a reasonable influence on the plane of the ball including the spin,rotation, momentum or bounce.

I also did not see downward pressure, his wrist was vertical and the ball just happened to be touching it when it hit the ground, with no pressure what so ever.

He never lost the ball and was always slamming it down, it just so happened that in midst of the put-down the ball shifted from his hand to his palm/wrist.

It wasn't like his arm was dead straight either. Vertical? Are you telling me his arm was 90 degrees? Pull the other one.

He never lost the ball and was always slamming it down, it just so happened that in midst of the put-down the ball shifted from his hand to his palm/wrist.

It wasn't like his arm was dead straight either. Vertical? Are you telling me his arm was 90 degrees? Pull the other one.

Just my opinion.

It's not an opinion when you make an absolute statement like his arm was vertical when it clearly wasn't.

In my opinion if the Broncos had scored that try I would have considered them very lucky but in my opinion Souths first try was a clear knock on by Dylan Walker before Glen Stewart got anywhere near it.
So I am batting 0 out of 2

Last edited:
It's not an opinion when you make an absolute statement like his arm was vertical when it clearly wasn't.

BP, his forearm is pretty close to vertical, with the ball merely touching it when it hits the ground, in my opinion he lost the ball.

Quantify 'pretty close', how many degrees do you reckon?

Either way, he had enough downward force to score the try. It may not fly in the Danoz rulebook, but it's a try in the ESL (which were the interpretations for the World Club Series) and NRL.

I actually reckon he lost the ball and never regained it, but I have no issue with the decision by the video ref to maintain the field ref's decision. There was no clear evidence it wasn't a try.

I actually reckon he lost the ball and never regained it, but I have no issue with the decision by the video ref to maintain the field ref's decision. There was no clear evidence it wasn't a try.

I agree with everything you have said.

I also thought he was in front of the kicker.

Quantify 'pretty close', how many degrees do you reckon?

Either way, he had enough downward force to score the try. It may not fly in the Danoz rulebook, but it's a try in the ESL (which were the interpretations for the World Club Series) and NRL.

Doesn't matter how many degrees, all that matters is that I do not believe he had any pressure, but I could be wrong. I guess everyone sees things differently, I am just giving my view.

It's fine to have your own take but you were wrong about a few things and they needed to be pointed out.

I didn't mean to badger on about it but you kept digging a bigger hole for yourself.

By the by to point out an earlier mistake I made, it was actually Luke who made the tackle and it was on Percival. Either way great tackle and my entire point to begin with was that Souths deserved credit.

Doesn't matter how many degrees, all that matters is that I do not believe he had any pressure, but I could be wrong. I guess everyone sees things differently, I am just giving my view.

I saw it as you. I reckon his forearm was closer to vertical than horizontal. There was no downward pressure as he'd lost control.

No try.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Battler
  • Allo
  • Browny
  • mrtij
  • Cavalo
  • Scdeac
  • Foordy
  • Waynesaurus
  • Kev_Guz
  • Santa
  • IceWorks
  • Skyblues87
  • broncos4life
  • Lurker
  • Fozz
  • davidp
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Financeguy
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.