POST GAME World Club Challenge - Wigan vs Brisbane

I wasnt all too happy with marantas performance. Anyone agree?

Thought it was pretty characteristic of Maranta, good and bad. Safe under the high ball, tried hard and went looking for work getting out of our end. As always, a bit hesitant in attack, and his hit ups lacked drive. Vintage Maranta really.

He does look to have lost some kegs though. Hopefully he can show a bit more speed for it. Certainly would be the better for it, may help him to back himself, which is his main issue.

His ability to finally put down a ball off a bit of hodges brilliance seems to fool everyone into thinking he's a great 1st choice winger.

I don't think anyone thinks that. He's a gutsy kid who can't be faulted for lack of heart or commitment. People do appreciate that, even if they are well aware of his shortcomings.

Thought it was pretty characteristic of Maranta, good and bad. Safe under the high ball, tried hard and went looking for work getting out of our end. As always, a bit hesitant in attack, and his hit ups lacked drive. Vintage Maranta really.

He does look to have lost some kegs though. Hopefully he can show a bit more speed for it. Certainly would be the better for it, may help him to back himself, which is his main issue.

yeah you are right, but what irritates me is how many chances we need to give the bloke. At most other clubs he'd have been dropped by now, i cant see Bellamy or Hasler keeping him on the wing.

Who would you have played instead?
Given Reed, Copley, and Oates were not ready

Not sure if it's been said... but Maranta was on the left. Not outside Hodges. If Hodges didn't specifically ask not to have Maranta as his winger, I wonder if Bennett saw the potential issues and did it anyway for the good of the team? Vidot was always a right-side winger when he was younger though, so who knows.

yeah you are right, but what irritates me is how many chances we need to give the bloke. At most other clubs he'd have been dropped by now, i cant see Bellamy or Hasler keeping him on the wing.

No argument, but our depth in the backs has been pretty lean this last few years. By and large, he's consistent and dependable, if not spectacular.

He reminds me of Stuart Kelly. He'll play 80+ games for us without really offering anything special.

Bennett loves consistent, safe players.

I see your point but that's a case that can be made for a lot of players in the side. Like others pointed out - he doesn't really dazzle but he is dependable, safe and reliable. Besides, what's the alternative? We keep persisting with guys who have underperformed for years because "on their day, they are awesome"? I'd rather stick with Maranta.

In the last 2 years at least Maranta catches better than Kahu. Probably better than Copley too.

In the last 2 years at least Maranta catches better than Kahu. Probably better than Copley too.

Undeniably better than Copley in that respect, and likely better than Kahu (small sample size).

They have him covered in all other aspects though.

Not sure if it's been said... but Maranta was on the left. Not outside Hodges. If Hodges didn't specifically ask not to have Maranta as his winger, I wonder if Bennett saw the potential issues and did it anyway for the good of the team? Vidot was always a right-side winger when he was younger though, so who knows.
I saw that too. I doubt Vidot and Maranta were swapped for funsies so my guess is that only one of them is penciled in for round 1, and will be shifted to accommodate the other winger. Given Copley played on the right last year I think Oates on the left wing is a strong possibility with Reed and Maranta missing out.

I'm rewatching the Souths game and there is no way that St. Helens played better than Wigan. They're giving away ridiculous penalties and dropped the ball constantly. Their defense is also terrible.

Wigan would have won the GF if they had 13 on the field.

Adam Reynolds was also given so much room to kick on the last.

I'm coming round to Oates playing wing. I'm a bit worried in defence about him.

That said, I thought Maranta went alright against the poms. I could live with it a bit longer.

1. Kahu
2. Vidot
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. Oates / Maranta
6. Milford
7. Hunt

Keen to see a line up like this before Boyd comes back in.

Wanting to watch the game in full. Missed it the other day but don't have a digital pass on NRL.com. Anyone have a log in I can use just for a night or two ? Or a code where I can have a free trial.

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • cento
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Browny
  • Yellowfella
  • Santa
  • Scorchie
  • Cavalo
  • Harry Sack
  • Waynesaurus
  • winslow_wong
  • FACTHUNT
  • IceWorks
  • Justwin
  • bb_gun
  • Lurker
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • Allo
  • mrtij
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.