World Club Challenge

It's a fact. A portion is going to charity, while another portion goes straight into Smith and Thurston's pockets, salary cap exempt.
I'd like to know what portions they are before I call two of the greatest Queenslanders scammers. I'm not trying to be difficult I just can't find anything to back up the claims that are being thrown around

Is anybody really calling them scammers? I think you’re missing the point entirely...
Well people are having a major whinge about it, calling it the JT and Smith scam game so yeah I'd take that as people calling then scammers.. And your response to my other post with the links just confirms that they have done everything by the books and that charities will be getting money from this game which I would of thought was a good thing.

Well people are having a major whinge about it, calling it the JT and Smith scam game so yeah I'd take that as people calling then scammers.. And your response to my other post with the links just confirms that they have done everything by the books and that charities will be getting money from this game which I would of thought was a good thing.
Technically it's the Storm and Cowboys scam game. It's NRL approved salary cap cheating, and it's no surprise it was approved for those 2 clubs and those 2 players.

Again, it’s not the players, it’s the NRL that are creating this mess. That’s where the outrage is.

I would take it a step further and actually potentially implicate the players also. I find it rather interesting that these two, especially Smith, were in charge of the players associations heated negotiations with the NRL regarding salary increases. In the end, the RLPA salary cap expectations were met for increases to base salaries, however demands were not met for total cap increases which would benefit the highest paid players, ie Smith and Thurston types, yet these player leaders signed off. I suspect collusion to create a funding source for them that appeases the leaders of the RLPA to seal the deal.

This tinfoil hat fits quite nicely.
Yep tinfoil hat sounds about right. I take it that you and the rest of the people won't be watching the game to lower ratings then?

I wonder if any of their sponsors will be buying tickets in bulk to fund Smiths new boats. It would so easy to do

I wonder if any of their sponsors will be buying tickets in bulk to fund Smiths new boats. It would so easy to do
I don't think Smith would need help to buy a boat he's the most successful nrl player in history

I don't think Smith would need help to buy a boat he's the most successful nrl player in history

Channel 9 has brainwashed you. 2006-2010 don't actually count, no matter how hard they try to airbrush it from history.

Yep tinfoil hat sounds about right. I take it that you and the rest of the people won't be watching the game to lower ratings then?

I don't think watching it on telly will make a difference to the amount of money it generates. Going to the stadium and buying ticket, food, merchandise is where the money is coming from I'm pretty sure.

Can anyone confirm?

I don't think watching it on telly will make a difference to the amount of money it generates. Going to the stadium and buying ticket, food, merchandise is where the money is coming from I'm pretty sure.

Can anyone confirm?
It's showing support by watching it and giving channel 9 ratings for a scam game, if it's an absolute scam game why would you watch it Tom... If that's even your real name..

It's showing support by watching it and giving channel 9 ratings for a scam game, if it's an absolute scam game why would you watch it Tom... If that's even your real name..

Where did I call it a scam game? If the players get a cent from the television ratings then no I won't watch it.

Where did I call it a scam game? If the players get a cent from the television ratings then no I won't watch it.
Why do you think big sporting brands sponsor these players? So they can wear their boots, mouth guards ect on TV where lots of people can see what their hero's wear and go out and buy the same, it's the same for any sport or tho there would be some companies that would sponsor them so they can be involved in television adds or endorse them online.
So if it wasn't for the game being televised then the sponsor wouldnt be paying them

Played the most games and in turn may have won the most: yes, most successful: no.
Our assistant coach would have to be considered one of the most successful players to have played in the modern era with his 6 premierships.

Why do you think big sporting brands sponsor these players? So they can wear their boots, mouth guards ect on TV where lots of people can see what their hero's wear and go out and buy the same, it's the same for any sport or tho there would be some companies that would sponsor them so they can be involved in television adds or endorse them online.
So if it wasn't for the game being televised then the sponsor wouldnt be paying them

You are getting a little off-track here. I don't think these players sponsorship deals are going to be impacted one bit by how many people watch a glorified trial game on telly. The players will get their sponsorship money no matter what happens, which they are 100% entitled to imo. The problem people have with this game is that 1) The gate, food, and merchandise takings are going to them outside the salary cap, and 2) Testimonial matches are from a time when the game and sport in general was not the huge product it is today with multi-million dollar contracts. Their purpose was to help out players who played the game their whole career and didn't have much to show for it. Cam Smith and JT are two of the richest players the game has seen, they have earned plenty. Giving them more money on top of what they have already earned is a slap in the face to every other player on the field.

So...when is Thaiday and Mannering's testimonial?

You are getting a little off-track here. I don't think these players sponsorship deals are going to be impacted one bit by how many people watch a glorified trial game on telly. The players will get their sponsorship money no matter what happens, which they are 100% entitled to imo. The problem people have with this game is that 1) The gate, food, and merchandise takings are going to them outside the salary cap, and 2) Testimonial matches are from a time when the game and sport in general was not the huge product it is today with multi-million dollar contracts. Their purpose was to help out players who played the game their whole career and didn't have much to show for it. Cam Smith and JT are two of the richest players the game has seen, they have earned plenty. Giving them more money on top of what they have already earned is a slap in the face to every other player on the field.
I'm sorry mate I think we just have different views on the whole thing and that's ok. I completely understand stand where you are coming from but there are charities getting funds from this game and if there is extra money for these two legends then so be it. And for the slap in the face of the other players, I haven't seen any actual players complaining about it just broncos fans

I'm sorry mate I think we just have different views on the whole thing and that's ok. I completely understand stand where you are coming from but there are charities getting funds from this game and if there is extra money for these two legends then so be it. And for the slap in the face of the other players, I haven't seen any actual players complaining about it just broncos fans

Well yeah talking down about the Australian captain and Australian halfback to the media probably isn't going to go down well is it and any player that does it can probably put a red line through any of their ambitions to play in rep teams with them. I said in the other thread that holding the game is fine but ALL the money should be going to charity, others expanded on this by saying yeah either that or grassroots footy. It's not the game itself that people have a problem with, it's the money going to 2 players.

Active Now

• NSW stables
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.