World Cup Squads

Agree re Radradra, but they cant not pick players who are eligible for other countries, especially those born in Australia - like Fifita.

McGuire is eligible to play for Samoa, and has done in the past, so should Mal not have selected him? Means they'll never pick someone like Milf either.l

Fair enough mate, you are right, I'm just pointing out that on the one hand we talk about the need to promote international footy, but then pick the eyes out of the second tier sides

Fifita is born here so fair enough he can be picked, but Radradra should not have been picked

A rule to stop such picks is on order

Why? Boyd has never ever had a bad game in Aussie colours. EVER

He's been a gun on the wing for almost a decade. Even teams like Australia benefit from a smart and safe winger as long as he steps up his runs hard. But agree no point in taking him with bad hammies.

Still think if Oates improves his hands would be a great pick for Australia and Queensland, offers more than Holmes.

Kiwi and kangaroos fans are whinging about how late the decision was not realising the irony that other teams normally have to wait for the tier one teams to be named before knowing about 5 or 6 players in their team. Yes these players (Fifita and taumololo were born in the tier 1 countries and were expected to be picked but they had the choice to play for tonga according to most international rules you can think of in world sport (parents born there)) but why should it be the smaller nation that holds its breath waiting for he big one?
The other beauty of the late decision is that is what's brought publicity! If taumololo and Fifita said this months ago it wouldn't have brought the hype it has. Any publicity for the international game is positive!

Just read the interview with Taumalolo, and tbh, he seems like he is a bit gutless. Wont answer any tough questions, obviously seems to have issues with Kidwell. I think he is pretty pathetic actually.

Just read the interview with Taumalolo, and tbh, he seems like he is a bit gutless. Wont answer any tough questions, obviously seems to have issues with Kidwell. I think he is pretty pathetic actually.

Link to the interview?

This is a world cup and none of the 1st tier nations lose much from players choosing 2nd tier nations. Compared to them, we all have an unlimited supply of professionals to fill whatever voids are left. Most if not all the 2nd tier teams have players who have never played league at a professional level. Sport is best when it has drama and the underdog atleast has a chance at upsetting the superpowers of the game. Take cricket for example. When the windies were at their height, the cricket grounds would be packed and we would hang on every ball to see if we could knock them off. Now, I barely watch a ball, when they play.
We need international league to offer competition before it will ever be more than a fig leaf of "internationalism" for the sport. Even if that means weakening the Australian team.
Develop the sport by all means, but a Tonga knocking off a kangaroos or kiwi teams would boost the sports profile more than any number of aging ex-players offering training camps.

How many other sports have players switching allegiances like this? International RL seems so far behind everyone else, even lawn bowls.

Kiwi and kangaroos fans are whinging about how late the decision was not realising the irony that other teams normally have to wait for the tier one teams to be named before knowing about 5 or 6 players in their team. Yes these players (Fifita and taumololo were born in the tier 1 countries and were expected to be picked but they had the choice to play for tonga according to most international rules you can think of in world sport (parents born there)) but why should it be the smaller nation that holds its breath waiting for he big one?
The other beauty of the late decision is that is what's brought publicity! If taumololo and Fifita said this months ago it wouldn't have brought the hype it has. Any publicity for the international game is positive!

Fifita has no passion for Tonga despite what he says ... he only made the decision because he is still butthurt at being overlooked last year due to his support for that one-punch killer.

and if Taumalolo hadn't have made that decision he wouldn't have made it either.

not to mention the fact that the he was named in the team and then waited another 4 days before telling anyone he wanted to play for Tonga ...

and if he was that "PASSIONATE" about playing for Tonga as he claims, he didn't need to wait until Australia named their team first ... It's not like he didn't know if Tonga had qualified for the world cup (that has been known for a long time); It's not like his selection for Tonga would have ever been in question either.

he's just a whining little bitch and should lose his Origin eligibility, but the NRL won't have the balls to do that

Fifita has no passion for Tonga despite what he says ... he only made the decision because he is still butthurt at being overlooked last year due to his support for that one-punch killer.

and if Taumalolo hadn't have made that decision he wouldn't have made it either.

not to mention the fact that the he was named in the team and then waited another 4 days before telling anyone he wanted to play for Tonga ...

and if he was that "PASSIONATE" about playing for Tonga as he claims, he didn't need to wait until Australia named their team first ... It's not like he didn't know if Tonga had qualified for the world cup (that has been known for a long time); It's not like his selection for Tonga would have ever been in question either.

he's just a whining little bitch and should lose his Origin eligibility, but the NRL won't have the balls to do that
He's a wanker, I agree. But he's a wanker who just gave up $50,000 to prove a point? I doubt even he is THAT stupid

Is i
He's a wanker, I agree. But he's a wanker who just gave up $50,000 to prove a point? I doubt even he is THAT stupid
Is it relevent if fafita or tamalolo wear their hearts on a sleeve, playing for Samoa? It won't be if they give Samoa success. I'm not worried about their passion, but the passion of every day Samoans who watch them and then choose to play league or support it.
We need the minnows to grow as competitive as they can be. The game to survive has to expand. Its hard to see that at the moment, but AFL and soccer both are making strides in previously foreign territory. They is nowhere else that plays AFL yet still they try to push the game into new zealand, south Africa, even China.
League struggles to keep its footing in places that do

Is i

Is it relevent if fafita or tamalolo wear their hearts on a sleeve, playing for Samoa? It won't be if they give Samoa success. I'm not worried about their passion, but the passion of every day Samoans who watch them and then choose to play league or support it.
We need the minnows to grow as competitive as they can be. The game to survive has to expand. Its hard to see that at the moment, but AFL and soccer both are making strides in previously foreign territory. They is nowhere else that plays AFL yet still they try to push the game into new zealand, south Africa, even China.
Ummm...

That. Is. What. I. Think. Too.

Please read the post previous to mine

Hunt will be out for one game for his wedding he said last night. Mal has given him time off.

Is i

How is AFL anywhere near rugby league when it comes to foreign territory? Taking their games elsewhere is great but there's actual rugby league competitions being played in a lot of countries and international teams as well.

Is i

Tonga bro.....Tonga.

Or did they switch again? **** me this is getting confusing.

Fiji World Cup squad

1. Kane Evans - Sydney Roosters
2. Salesi Faingaa - Parramatta Eels
3. Jarryd Hayne - Gold Coast Titans
4. Tui Kamikamica - Melbourne Storm/ SC Falcons
5. Villiame Kikau - Penrith Panthers
6. Apisai Koroisau - Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
7. Joe Lovadua - St George-Illawarra Dragons
8. Henry Raiwalui - Mounties RLFC
9. Taane Milne - St George-Illawarra Dragons/ Illawarra RLFC
10. Sitiveni Moceidreke - South Sydney Rabbitohs/ North Sydney Bears
11. Marcelo Montoya - Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
12. Kevin Naiqama (c) - Wests Tigers
13. Ben Nakubuwai - Gold Coast Titans/ Tweed Heads Seagulls
14. Mikaele Ravalawa - Canberra Raiders
15. Junior Roqica - London Broncos
16. Jacob Saifiti - Newcastle Knights
17. Ashton Sims - Warrington Wolves
18. Korbin Sims - Brisbane Broncos
19. Pio Seci - Nabua Broncos
20. James Storer - Port Kembla Blacks
21. Akuila Uate - Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
22. Eloni Vunakece - Sydney Roosters/ Wyong Roos
23. Suliasi Vunivalu - Melbourne Storm
24. Brayden Wiliame - Catalans Dragons
Standby Replacement:
25. Etuate Bola - Nabua Broncos

Active Now

• Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.