Worst refereeing performance

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Where does last nights' SOO game sit in terms of worst refereeing performances? I don't like to buy into conspiracy theories that the game is rigged, I like to think the refs are impartial (MRC and Judiciary are a different story) but it seemed that last night the refs were giving the Blues a leg-up at every oppurtunity. Was it incompetence or were the NRL and the refs playing a part in giving Gallen a "fairytale" finish in a dead rubber? What game is the worst performance you have seen by refs in any game,not just a single moment but for the entire 80minutes?

I remember a game between Parramatta and Cronulla back in 2003 where Shane Hayne sent 3 Sharks players off and Parramatta scored 74 points. They just had to spread the ball wide on any part of the ground to score at one point it was 13 V 10. Barry Gommersal had some shocking games in the early days of Origin.

Some other awful referring performances/decisions I remember or know off over the years

Canberra Raiders V Penrith Panthers 2014. Gavin Badger and Greame Atkins had a shocking performance and Ricky called them "shit, laughable and not at a first grade standard" Don't always agree with Ricky but he had a valid point

The Darren Lockyer no try in 2002. Terrible decision no idea who that video ref was

Matt Gillett sin bin in 2014 against the Dragons, Ben Cummins

Bill Harrigan in Origin 1 in 2000, there was lot of controversial stuff in that game not just the Tallis send off which I think Harrigan was within his rights though regardless of how bad that call was

Greg Hartley in 1978

That Foran try in 2012 and that 7th tackle try in 2013 against the Cowboys were stuff up decisions but the Cowboys weren't good enough in those games.

It wasnt just a few bad decisions, it was consistently biased for 80 minutes. Im pretty sure Farah threw the ball forward into cooper to get the penalty

I remember a game between Parramatta and Cronulla back in 2003 where Shane Hayne sent 3 Sharks players off and Parramatta scored 74 points. They just had to spread the ball wide on any part of the ground to score at one point it was 13 V 10. Barry Gommersal had some shocking games in the early days of Origin.

Some other awful referring performances/decisions I remember or know off over the years

Canberra Raiders V Penrith Panthers 2014. Gavin Badger and Greame Atkins had a shocking performance and Ricky called them "shit, laughable and not at a first grade standard" Don't always agree with Ricky but he had a valid point

The Darren Lockyer no try in 2002. Terrible decision no idea who that video ref was

Matt Gillett sin bin in 2014 against the Dragons, Ben Cummins

Bill Harrigan in Origin 1 in 2000, there was lot of controversial stuff in that game not just the Tallis send off which I think Harrigan was within his rights though regardless of how bad that call was

Greg Hartley in 1978

That Foran try in 2012 and that 7th tackle try in 2013 against the Cowboys were stuff up decisions but the Cowboys weren't good enough in those games.

Yeah Gommersal had a few shockers.

That 2012 Manly Cowboys game had a few shitty calls iirc. I seem to remember there was another contoversial try in the first half other than the "hand of foran" incident. I also remember in the second half one of the manly back 3 accidently grounded the ball in his own in goal but the ref allowed play to continue, saying that it was not intentional(This was before it had to be intentionally grounded)

As for the Sharks 7 tackle try, that happened in the first 15 minutes I think, Cows would have won if they were good enough but they weren't.

Referees can be in form?

That was hilarious. Once the Qld player had run past with the ball and given Gillett was not inside 10m of that happening, once he caught the ball, wasn't he on side?

I don't disagree that Fiftia would have scored that try anyway even if O'Neill hadn't been infringed but regardless, by the letter of the law, it had a bearing on O'Neill's ability to defend and by very definition, therefore has an influence on the play, no matter how minor. NRL, you frustratingly amateurish beast you.

There were a lot of times I thought we should be given a penalty but weren't. Refs were fucked up.

As far as all-time is concerned, last night's game doesn't rate that highly.

Lots of home-town calls, a few blatantly wrong but sadly the game has seen a lot worse. I'd put it on par with Game II 2014 where the Blues were given an absurd amount of penalties but no real clangers.

That Round 25 2014 clash against the Dragons rates highly. Not only did you have the worst sin-bin of all-time, the Dragons scored a try when there had obviously been a double knock on before it. In fact, I believe that's what started the passage for the Dragons.

It's been too long since I've watched it, but Origin I 2000 stands out. It was the first time I've seen a call completely turn a game on it's head and decide the contest.

Here's a story I just came across...

Referees bin wrong bloke
Referees boss Robert Finch admits referees Ben Cummins and Gerard Sutton sent the wrong player to the sin bin in the Parramatta-Souths match after Nathan Cayless was marched for stripping when replays clearly showed Daniel Mortimer was the player responsible. Both referees were stood down from Round 7 matches.

I wonder what became of the chaps?

There were a lot of times I thought we should be given a penalty but weren't. Refs were fucked up.

Of the 12 given against us last night, 10 were probably deserved, but 3 or 4 of those were extremely soft. It's the ones that weren't given our way that made it almost impossible to win and you're right, there was a lot of them.

It's been too long since I've watched it, but Origin I 2000 stands out. It was the first time I've seen a call completely turn a game on it's head and decide the contest.

That game was controversial from start to finish. Girdler was robbed of the first try of the game by the video ref, Kennedy was ruled to have knocked on when it was obvious he didn't and there were little things as well that were missed.

From watching that game the Maroons blew it despite Bill Harrigan's blunders. Maybe if Queensland went on with a 14-6 lead just after the break, maybe if they managed to put NSW away with their attack with momentum behind them, maybe if Tonie Carroll got the ball down when Peachey held him up, maybe if Lam kicked that field goal inside the last 10 and if there was someone backing him up at the end and maybe if Sailor had intercepted the pass that Peachey ended up scoring the winner of the Maroons could've won.

Harrigan's decision to let play go on was crazy no doubt

As far as all-time is concerned, last night's game doesn't rate that highly.

Lots of home-town calls, a few blatantly wrong but sadly the game has seen a lot worse. I'd put it on par with Game II 2014 where the Blues were given an absurd amount of penalties but no real clangers.

That Round 25 2014 clash against the Dragons rates highly. Not only did you have the worst sin-bin of all-time, the Dragons scored a try when there had obviously been a double knock on before it. In fact, I believe that's what started the passage for the Dragons.

Here's a story I just came across...

Referees bin wrong bloke
Referees boss Robert Finch admits referees Ben Cummins and Gerard Sutton sent the wrong player to the sin bin in the Parramatta-Souths match after Nathan Cayless was marched for stripping when replays clearly showed Daniel Mortimer was the player responsible. Both referees were stood down from Round 7 matches.

I wonder what became of the chaps?

Those names sound familiar ... the NRL continues to shoot itself in the foot with inept officiating.

Unread

Active Now

• Galah
  • Dash
  • Aldo
  • broncsgoat
  • Fozz
  • ostin86
  • marw
  • bb_gun
  • Fatboy
  • FACTHUNT
  • Bish
  • Johnny92
  • Old Mate
  • The Don
  • Broncosarethebest
  • PETERN
  • Big Del
  • BroncosAlways
  • Manofoneway
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.