VOTE Would you like to see the Broncos back at ANZ Stadium/QSAC?

J

jakepearce94

NYC Player
Mar 31, 2013
With the NRL rumoured to be keen to downsize on stadiums in order to have packed crowds and better atmospheres, this will lead to clubs returning to more suburban grounds to play a few games per season.

Would you like to see the Broncos play a couple games at our old home of ANZ Stadium /QSAC in Nathan?

Personally I would love to see what it would be like , it was the ground I first watched a Broncos game , I played before the game with my primary School . I then went to QSAC in high school for a school athletics carnival and the stadium is still nice but largely unused and in a piece by the Brisbane Times, QSACs biggest crowds are on average 500 people per event which is saddening that this lovely stadium is just collecting dust .

I hope you guys feel what I'm feeling , Suncorp is my favourite stadium but would be great to go to a game at QSAC again, even If it was for just one last time .

Isn't ANZ's capacity similar to Suncorp anyway?

First memory of watching a Broncos game was at ANZ stadium.. but the answer is no, all our home games should be at Suncorp.

Hell no. Old and outdated stadium, Suncorp is light years ahead.

I don't want the Broncos to play there. It just wasn't a good stadium.

I was always too far away from the action, and it was hell trying to get to the stadium.

But if Broncos were to play there, I would go. Just for a bit of nostalgia.

Isn't ANZ's capacity similar to Suncorp anyway?

Pretty much.

49k capacity, but it can fit more people. The 97 GF had a crowd of 58,912. And with temporary seating, it can reach 60k.

Living on the South East side of Brisbane now, yes it would be nice to just drive up Creek Road and not have to get back through the city to go to game. Just measured it. I'm 11kms from Suncorp and 16kms from QEII. Sunnybank feels closer than Milton.

My memories of Broncos games there are that it was:

1. cold, windy high up in the stands;
2. losing my dad for the first half/watching the first half by myself while he went and got food/drinks;
3. the players looking far away;
4. but the whole experience was awesome.

I actually think I can remember the 3 games I went to between 92-95:

Sunday arvo - Broncos v Warriors (we smashed them)
Sunday arvo - Broncos v Sharks (we got caned but had a really late fightback to make it respectable)
Friday night - Broncos v Bulldogs - Peter Ryan scored off a scrum against the feed to win the game for us.

GOOD TIMES

It would be good to see if that Broncos fan is still alive.. If he is, I think he would be there.

Does anyone remember that massive Broncos fan that had the Broncos car and drove it to every game?

A car with a Broncos paint job and just completely covered in Broncos stuff.

Last edited:
I have a lot of fond memories of ANZ - the '97 grand final and Game 3 of the 2001 Origin series amongst them. I remember a packed game against the Warriors one year where we had to sit on the grass in front of the Southern stand, and I also remember seeing Willie Carne get absolutely coat-hangered (I want to say against St George, but I could be wrong), which I believe was the start of the end for him. I also loved the noise you could make stomping on those metal stands, although they were very uncomfortable in winter.

Having said all that, I'll more than happily never watch another game there in my life.

Maybe other clubs should, we've got the best stadium and the best crowds, we don't need to go anywhere.

As for other clubs, absolutely, having 80k capacity stadium with 9k people is an embarrassment to the game and would be a shit atmosphere.

Absolutely not.

Suncorp is the greatest stadium in Rugby League and it would be madness to move games away from there. The only thing I miss about the ANZ days is that the Broncos happened to play a lot of Sunday games around that time. Was nothing like going to a family BBQ, playing some cricket and heading inside to catch the 4pm replay with Bomber calling the action.

We used to have to go there for sports carnivals. The ingenius part about that was that they'd schedule it on the Ekka Public holiday, with a promise of a long weekend. It was like a mini-vacation and half the school wouldn't rock up, but since sports carnivals are great and you could always go from the carnival straight to the Ekka or wherever, that's what you'd do. I think it being hosted at QEII added to the appeal as well, the place still had plenty of atmosphere.

Also had an exam there when I was studying at Griffith. Huddling around the lobby with all the other students felt like I was in a locker room or something. Considering this was around the time I was the worst student and was really coasting on minimal effort, I attribute QEII as the reason I was able to remain alert and BS my way through some literature exam I had to do.

I only attended one game at QEII, which is strange considering I may have attended more Western Reds games back in the day! It was the qualifying final against Parramatta where the Broncos recovered from a slow start to finish on top. Alfie scored his 100th try, Newcastle got beaten by the Dragons and all was right with the world.

I enjoy the thought of travelling back to our first return game to Suncorp Stadium against the knights then going back to QE2, enough said.

Absolutely not. That place is an embarrassment.

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • Shane Tronc
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosarethebest
  • broncsgoat
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Galah
  • Xzei
  • heartly87
  • Alec
  • Griffo
  • Justwin
  • Swordfish
  • Allo
  • Wolfie
  • mrslong
  • barker
  • phoenix
  • Big Del
  • Nerd
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.