Wow, This lady Criticising rugby league badly

K

kimlo_

QCup Player
Mar 17, 2008
AFTER the disgraceful pre-season performance of some of our footballers, hasn't it been great to see athletes worthy of being called role models excelling in the pool.

In the lead-up to this week's Olympic trials there weren't any shameful displays of drunken swimmers falling out of nightclubs or urinating in laneways -- they left that to our well-paid league and Aussie rules footballers.

And, unlike the petulant cricketers, the words "monkey" and "obnoxious weed" haven't been uttered in the swimming lanes at Homebush.

Our swimmers have turned up fit, fresh-faced and sober to swim their hearts out -- even though they're not paid to do so.

I guess that is because these wonderful athletes love it. They are a credit to their parents and a credit to their nation.

I wonder how many footballers would train every day if they weren't getting paid?

Some of them can't be bothered to turn up even though they are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars.

But never our swimmers.

There they are, morning after morning, swimming lap after lap at some ungodly hour in the hope of representing their country and winning gold.

The divide between their life and the pampered world of football has never been wider.

How do our vivacious and articulate swimmers, competing and training for the most part as individuals, get it so right and our footballers get it so wrong?

Our swimmers train alone, under different coaches, coming together only at events such as this week, and yet there is a strong bond between them. A camaraderie among rivals.

Take, for instance, Emily Seebohm and Sophie Edington. One steals the other's world record breaking thunder within 24 hours, but there they were, giggling and hugging, genuinely pleased with one

another's achievements.

And there they were again jumping up and down on Monday night when they both qualified for Beijing in the 100m backstroke -- an event in which they will compete against one another for gold.

It is a team ethos like no other and, to the armchair observer, there don't seem to be any egos and ugly rivalries.

In professional sport, the motivation seems to be money and status. And it seems at times to be filled with wasted talent -- players who, for want of a better phrase, piss it up against the wall.

If anything, you would think athletes in team sports would feel a greater sense of duty to their teammates, club and supporters. But they don't.

Some don't even give a second thought to the thousands of supporters. Instead, they would rather risk a suspension after a night out clubbing until dawn.

When caught, these sportsmen tell of the excessive stress of top-level competition and the need to let off steam.

So how do our swimmers let off steam? It's certainly not by publicly binge-drinking. Even in retirement there doesn't seem to be a hint of scandal.

The most recent, to my mind, was when Ian Thorpe's reputation was shaken last May when he was informed he had returned an abnormal drug test.

Despite being cleared, he complained that his name had been forever tarnished.

Next to that was Libby Lenton and husband Luke Trickett -- who allowed a magazine to cover them in a big white "walking tent" on their wedding day.

However, the couple did salvage their reputation by announcing that they donated to charity the entire amount they were paid for exclusive access to their big day.

It's easy to see, then, why merchandisers, sponsors and television executives are all lurking and smacking their greedy chops at the prospect of this year's Australian swimming team for Beijing.

The number of world records and personal bests broken this week is just the start.

The fact that they have an appeal that can straddle populations, incite patriotic fervour and inspire us all is another.

They also remind us exactly why sport is attractive and important -- and why we watch -- to enjoy the thrill of good competition and be excited by displays of grace, stamina and endurance achieved by perfectly trained bodies and sharply focused minds.

Of course their good looks, self-discipline, ability to be great public speakers and their graciousness in both victory and defeat also helps.

The sporting display at Homebush this week was wonderful to watch.

These youngsters are the poster girls and boys for our future athletes -- and a wake-up call for some of our existing sportsmen and women.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23 ... 46,00.html

That's because nobody gives a **** if a swimmer is out at 4 in the morning. It wouldn't be a headline. A footballer - from any code - out on the sauce is apparentley newsworthy these days.

And while we are on swimming, the only reason all these records are getting obliterated is because of the new suits. There is no way Stephanie Rice can come out and beat a PB by 6 seconds without the help of anabolics or other external factors. Not making any accusations at all, but 6 seconds is a big drop in time.

I wouldn't be suprised if the new suits will be banned before Bejing.

BTW, this should be in league/general talk.

BtW, i've noticed alot of drama about these suits, although i am yet to understand what for. Would you be able to explain what all the talk is about these suits being banned and are cheats and so on, what exactly is wrong with them?

Yeah i agree about footballers, being out till 4 in the morning is now wrong and immoral even if it is the offseason [icon_shru

Yeah i agree about footballers, being out till 4 in the morning is now wrong and immoral even if it is the offseason

Is this a joke?

I just had to [icon_lol1. at this "journalist" hack highlighting football players urinating in public.

FFS, one particular code has arrests, cocaine and underworld links aplenty, and she brings out the damning "peeing in public" line?

Way to get your point across, love [eusa_clap.gi

I look forward to her back pedalling efforts if...and I say very very firmly IF...an Australian swimmer is ever caught with steroids or other performance enhancing drugs in their system.

And I'm sorry, but it's just TOTALLY naive to think no Australian would do it. That's not to say they all do, and that's not even to suggest the record breakers do, but I'd be shocked if Australian swimming was 100% clean.

Coxy said:
I look forward to her back pedalling efforts if...and I say very very firmly IF...an Australian swimmer is ever caught with steroids or other performance enhancing drugs in their system.

And I'm sorry, but it's just TOTALLY naive to think no Australian would do it. That's not to say they all do, and that's not even to suggest the record breakers do, but I'd be shocked if Australian swimming was 100% clean.
How dare you cast aspersions on the Australia's dream swim couple Stephanie Rice and Eamon Sullivan. Just because they were both nobodies a few months ago, now breaking world records together [icon_ee I'm shocked at your innuendo. [icon_ee

Coxy said:

I know of one particularly "awe-inspiring" Australian olympic swimming gold medal which was achieved by use of illegal means (not drugs, but a procedure that was used), which unfortunately couldn't be effectively tested for at the time.

I have also been out on the town with some our top swimmers in the past and they are far from angels. But as has been previously said - no-one cares, they aren't really high-profile enough for the newspapers to put it on the front page.

And on the new swimsuits - I don't believe it is cheating or that they should banned. It's not as though only Australians or a certain few people have them. All of the top swimmers in every country have been given them by Speedo, so the ones winning the races wearing them would likely be the ones winning the races anyway - it's still an even playing field and you still have to do the training to have the success. Sure they are probably swimming faster in them than they would otherwise, but that's technology. It's the same in most sports - sports gear manufacturers are always making improvements. Most people couldn't give much of a toss about records - they are going to be broken, but no-one can take the medal off you once you've won it (unless it is proved you won it illegally) and that's what is actually important to the athletes.

Je$ter said:
And while we are on swimming, the only reason all these records are getting obliterated is because of the new suits. There is no way Stephanie Rice can come out and beat a PB by 6 seconds without the help of anabolics or other external factors. Not making any accusations at all, but 6 seconds is a big drop in time.

I totally agree. All these records being broken in the last couple of days. Why not just give them a suite with built in flippers or some crap. The sooner they ban these the better.

Anyone else getting a picture of a blue rinse old lady with the glasses on a chain?

briareos said:
Anyone else getting a picture of a blue rinse old lady with the glasses on a chain?
Only late at night when I'm alone in my room icon_thumbs_u

Je$ter said:
That's because nobody gives a **** if a swimmer is out at 4 in the morning. It wouldn't be a headline. A footballer - from any code - out on the sauce is apparentley newsworthy these days.

BTW, this should be in league/general talk.

Exactly right!
Also, This lady can go jump.
Sorry, but I have to say this article had me heated up, once again, because I'm very opinionated when it comes to 'role models' in footy but I'll leave that for another day.

trigrhappi said:
briareos said:

[icon_lol1. [icon_lol1.

Flutterby, is that procedure blood doping/EPO? Because its only really been in the past 5-8 years that it could be effectivley tested.

Didn't an Olympic athlete get done for drug trafficing just the other week? Not a swimmer but not a league player either.

Je$ter said:
trigrhappi said:
briareos said:

[icon_lol1. [icon_lol1.

Flutterby, is that procedure blood doping/EPO? Because its only really been in the past 5-8 years that it could be effectivley tested.

Yep blood doping it was. And even though they couldn't test for it back then, it was still banned, so they knowingly cheated because they knew they'd get away with it.

Herron said:
Didn't an Olympic athlete get done for drug trafficing just the other week? Not a swimmer but not a league player either.

Yeah I think it was a rower - but I'm not 100% sure on that

Herron said:
I think it was the bloke who won the Stawell Gift

brettbrett said:
Je$ter said:

I totally agree. All these records being broken in the last couple of days. Why not just give them a suite with built in flippers or some crap. The sooner they ban these the better.

Are you guys serious??? Do you want them to go back to swimming in the neck to ankle cotton swimsuits? Or barefoot in track and field? Or not be able to use any sports science testing to help them go faster?

I would be calling for their banning as well if only a few people had the access to them to wear them, but everyone has them, so it's a level playing field. And at the end of the day it's not like I could put on one of those new suits and go out and break a world record - the swimmers still have to put in the training and damn hard work to get the results (which is where drug use is different because using banned drugs means you don't have to put as much hard work to get the results).

And people want to see records get broken in sports like swimming and athletics. It would be pretty boring if no-one had gone faster in 5-10+ years.

Active Now

• dasherhalo
  • marw
  • KateBroncos1812
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.